Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goodolgil

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby goodolgil » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm

I feel lacrymose.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Jacques wrote:Thank goodness. See, Veritas knows that he may have to wait for the mail to arrive until, oh, goodness, no, the horror -- even WEDNESDAY, and yet he has the restraint to let the nice people at Cornell send their time going through the rest of the EA apps.

We all waited almost half a year to take the LSAT and get a score, a month to get LRs, and at least a few weeks to get a decision rendered...an extra day or two isn't going to kill anyone.

The wakizashi that is poking at my bellybutton says otherwise.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Veritas wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Oh my God, I post asking if anyone hasn't receive a letter and this thread goes nuts. I think at this point we all need mental help. Cornell is famous for being a very difficult school, maybe they're trying to break us down before we even get there.

Oh yeah, and there's no chance in hell I'm calling either.

you didn't answer my questions... :(

Haha, my post was so far back by the time I refreshed I didn't think it was necessary.

I live in south florida, so I would imagine the mail wouldn't take THAT long to come from NY.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:24 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Jacques wrote:Thank goodness. See, Veritas knows that he may have to wait for the mail to arrive until, oh, goodness, no, the horror -- even WEDNESDAY, and yet he has the restraint to let the nice people at Cornell send their time going through the rest of the EA apps.

We all waited almost half a year to take the LSAT and get a score, a month to get LRs, and at least a few weeks to get a decision rendered...an extra day or two isn't going to kill anyone.

The wakizashi that is poking at my bellybutton says otherwise.

As Jacques would say:

I feel honored to wait for this piece of mail to arrive from Cornell. :wink:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm

I called for reals, after Helm's post I felt no qualms about bothering them.

They were really friendly. I was deferred, too :lol:

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Veritas wrote:I called for reals, after Helm's post I felt no qualms about bothering them.

For reals for reals this time?
Sorry.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Veritas wrote:I called for reals, after Helm's post I felt no qualms about bothering them.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. The bloodbath continues.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Sorry to hear that dude, but again, it's not the same a rejection, and you still have a lot of schools to hear back from. :)

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

Sorry to hear that dude, but again, it's not the same a rejection, and you still have a lot of schools to hear back from. :)

Ok so I officially don't want to hear from any schools anymore. Has anyone else who is not EA gone complete yet? I wonder when RD people will start hearing something..

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Honestly, I'm pretty stoked about it. Better than a rejection (which I was expecting) and I now have the chance to blow their pants off with a LOCI. Time to get competitive!

edit: I'll wait to hear from Mich before doing anything, though.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Veritas wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty stoked about it. Better than a rejection (which I was expecting) and I now have the chance to blow their pants off with a LOCI. Time to get competitive!

That's the attitude. Go knock 'em dead.

hv1

Postby hv1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

we're getting facts mixed up with truth

did you guys call or not?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

hv1 wrote:we're getting facts mixed up with truth

did you guys call or not?

I called. They were really nice.

autumn80

Postby autumn80 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 pm

so NO ONE has gotten in? This is incredible.

I'm sorry to hear that :|

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:41 pm

No Cornell mail for me today. (I'm in New England, fwiw.) No big deal to wait a few more days before I call, considering it's pretty clear at this point what it's going to be.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Just guessing at this point, but on Tuesday we will have our first acceptance. Mark my words!

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Just guessing at this point, but on Tuesday we will have our first acceptance. Mark my words!

I was lead to believe that Cornell doesn't do calls. What you mean is that a bunch of people will go DR tomorrow, followed by ten more days of freaking out and daring each other to call the admissions office.

robotoroboto

Postby robotoroboto » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:40 pm

i'm really curious to see whether or not a Why Cornell? addendum or just the three lines has any bearing on acceptance. I only did the three lines and am wondering if it made me look flippant.

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:47 pm

What makes people believe that Tuesday (tomorrow) will be a new batch of decisions? Is it because last year the first batch of acceptances on TLS came on Tuesday, December 2nd?

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:48 pm

robotoroboto wrote:i'm really curious to see whether or not a Why Cornell? addendum or just the three lines has any bearing on acceptance. I only did the three lines and am wondering if it made me look flippant.

yeah I wonder that too!
With all the speculation about high # apps being rejected as a YP measure, I wouldn't be surprised if a sincere, well-written why Cornell essay has a strong impact for some

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:48 pm

robotoroboto wrote:i'm really curious to see whether or not a Why Cornell? addendum or just the three lines has any bearing on acceptance. I only did the three lines and am wondering if it made me look flippant.

I don't see how it could actually have a negative impact on your chances. The application didn't invite us to attach an extra sheet if necessary- it just gave us those three lines. I think the gamble is whether writing beyond those 3 lines is beneficial or harmful. It's not like the 3 lines were a trap, and everyone who didn't add an attachment is going to be dinged. At least I hope not!

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:49 pm

So I found the "Cornell Deferred thread" from last cycle. I suggest nobody look at it though unless you want to feel seriously depressed:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60074&p=1255154&hilit=deferred+cornell#p1255154

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 pm

From the "Interview with Richard Geiger, Associate Dean and Dean of Admissions for Cornell Law School" -
Could an applicant significantly improve his or her chances of admission by drafting a personal statement specifically for Cornell?

I don’t think so. A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:

From the "Interview with Richard Geiger, Associate Dean and Dean of Admissions for Cornell Law School" -
Could an applicant significantly improve his or her chances of admission by drafting a personal statement specifically for Cornell?

I don’t think so. A specific connection with our law school is not really what we’re after. We’re looking to get to know more about the person who’s applying so we can make an informed decision about his or her potential.

Yeah, but that only refers to the personal statement. For the personal statement, they are looking to get to know the person. We don't even know if at the time of the interview the Why Cornell addition was even an option. Even if it was, the dean was only talking about what they look for in a PS. I maintain that showing sincere interest and desire to attend is a plus, since any other conclusion seems to go against common sense.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:59 pm

SanBun wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:

Yeah, but that only refers to the personal statement. For the personal statement, they are looking to get to know the person. We don't even know if at the time of the interview the Why Cornell addition was even an option. Even if it was, the dean was only talking about what they look for in a PS. I maintain that showing sincere interest and desire to attend is a plus, since anything else seems to go against common sense.

I agree, but I guess the question is whether it's possible, or maybe even preferable, to express sincere interest and desire to attend in 3 lines. Maybe in its conciseness it is sincerer and desire-ier? :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”