Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Veritas wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm URM and above one 75th and still at complete. I didn't go complete until 11/5 though so I could still get a deferral or rejection.

did you hear from GULC

Nothing concerte. The adcomm I interviewed with emailed me today saying they were still reviewing interviewed applicants and he will get back to me by the end of the day on when I should expect a decision.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Dignan wrote:
najumobi wrote:any one think they have changed how their doing things this year in an attempt to increase their medians?

It could be as simple as this: Every year, Cornell admits a certain number of applicants (30? 40?) via EA. This year, EA apps could be way up, partly because applications are up generally and partly because more people are aware of, and are taking advantage of, Cornell's non-binding EA option.

If Cornell decided not to increase the number of applicants it admits under EA, and if the number of EA applications is in fact much higher than last year, then it makes sense that Cornell would be more selective with its EA pool. It's probably not much more complicated than that.

Oh really? Just 30, 40? I thought it would be more. If it is, then it makes sense.

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Let's start making some educated guesses and predictions here and see if we can come up with a pattern. If you are still at "EA Complete" then post your stats in the format below.

EA Complete Date:
Stats (simply just say 25,median, below if you don't want to reveal your actual scores):
Unsolicited Fee Waiver: (Yes or No):
Why Cornell:
URM:

EA Complete Date: 11/05
Stats: 25% (both)
Unsolicited Fee Waiver: (Yes or No): Yes
Why Cornell: Yes, very specific one
URM: Black URM Male

forza

Postby forza » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:10 pm

So what the fuck. Are you telling me since I was DR before 11/24 that I'm getting deferred even though I crush Cornell's 75%?

Does an Ivy league school really YP? Like another poster said, that's stupid - Cornell is possibly a viable choice for those of us who might choose a lower T14 with $ over a T3 at sticker.
Last edited by forza on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 pm

EA Complete Date: 9/29
Stats: Above both 75%
Unsolicited Fee Waiver: Yes
Why Cornell: No
URM: No

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:12 pm

forza wrote:So what the fuck. Are you telling me since I was DR before 11/24 that I'm getting deferred even though I crush Cornell's 75%?

Does an Ivy league school really YP? Like another poster thread, that's stupid - Cornell is possibly a viable choice for those of us who might choose a lower T14 with $ over a T3 at sticker.

I'm about 95% sure you'll be getting a deferral.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:13 pm

EA Complete Date: 10/15
Stats: Above 75% Both
Why Cornell: Yes

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 pm

It seems pretty clear to me that they're getting the ones they know they're deferring out of the way before they start figuring out rejections and acceptances. Hey, they've got to get all of the EA's done before december... isn't that the strategy you'd use if you were them?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:16 pm

EA Complete Date: 10/02
Stats: above 75th LSAT / above median GPA
Why Cornell: Yes

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:16 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
forza wrote:So what the fuck. Are you telling me since I was DR before 11/24 that I'm getting deferred even though I crush Cornell's 75%?

Does an Ivy league school really YP? Like another poster thread, that's stupid - Cornell is possibly a viable choice for those of us who might choose a lower T14 with $ over a T3 at sticker.

Cornell seems to be quite stingy with money, regardless of numbers.

+1, cornell is a school people choose despite $$$ offers from schools like ut,ucla/usc,vandy. it's not really a school people attend b/c of $$$. according to lsn most people don't get a significant amount of money from cornell, and those who do get a significant amount of money seem to take the higher ranked school with less money more often than not.

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:17 pm

Sorry to ask this question again, this thread is 48 pages long so I'm not sure if an answer was posted. But is there anyone who received an unsolicited fee waiver that has since been deferred?

This process and everything that is going on is making me go crazy! My heart goes out to everyone who was expecting an acceptance and got a deferral. I'm sure most of you will end up with acceptances during RD. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:17 pm

a.shoshana wrote:It seems pretty clear to me that they're getting the ones they know they're deferring out of the way before they start figuring out rejections and acceptances. Hey, they've got to get all of the EA's done before december... isn't that the strategy you'd use if you were them?

+1 this seems to make sense

also Shoshana, yes I agree they will try to lure ppl with $ and for some ppl that will make them choose Cornell over other higher ranked schools. Nonetheless I believe they could defer people who are so good to have Cornell adcoms assume these applicants will get good $ at other schools.
Last edited by SanBun on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:19 pm

EA Complete: 10/13
Stats: above 75 on both
Fee Waiver: Yes

D thinks truck drivers are a very under represented minority in law schools, so does that count?? :lol:

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:20 pm

march319 wrote:Sorry to ask this question again, this thread is 48 pages long so I'm not sure if an answer was posted. But is there anyone who received an unsolicited fee waiver that has since been deferred?

This process and everything that is going on is making me go crazy! My heart goes out to everyone who was expecting an acceptance and got a deferral. I'm sure most of you will end up with acceptances during RD. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

yes. one URM AA guy received unsolicited fee waiver. 160, 3.5, deferred.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

EA Complete: 10/1
Stats: at lsat 75th, above gpa 75th
Fee Waiver: Yes-but honestly i can't remember if it was unsolicited or not.
Why Cornell: yes
URM: no, but lesbian.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:22 pm

protokurios wrote:
Dignan wrote:
najumobi wrote:any one think they have changed how their doing things this year in an attempt to increase their medians?

It could be as simple as this: Every year, Cornell admits a certain number of applicants (30? 40?) via EA. This year, EA apps could be way up, partly because applications are up generally and partly because more people are aware of, and are taking advantage of, Cornell's non-binding EA option.

If Cornell decided not to increase the number of applicants it admits under EA, and if the number of EA applications is in fact much higher than last year, then it makes sense that Cornell would be more selective with its EA pool. It's probably not much more complicated than that.

Oh really? Just 30, 40? I thought it would be more. If it is, then it makes sense.

To be clear, I pulled that "30? 40?" speculation out of the air. I am trying to construct a scenario in which these deferrals make sense. I don't know how many they admit via EA. Whatever the number, though, my logic still stands if the EA applicant pool is much larger this year.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 pm

EA Complete: 11/9
Stats: above 75ths
Fee Waiver: Yes

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Does an Ivy league school really YP? Like another poster said, that's stupid - Cornell is possibly a viable choice for those of us who might choose a lower T14 with $ over a T3 at sticker.

Well, first of all, we don't even know if it's a deferral quite yet. But, if it is...

A) Cornell is stingy (as someone noted)
B) They keep track of all of the people with your numbers that get admitted, and I'm sure a very small percentage actually end up at Cornell. So, despite the fact that everyone who gets YPed is always the special snowflake that "WOULD'VE ATTENDED OVER (insert higher ranked school) IF ONLY...", schools keep track of numbers and play the odds just like we do.

Or maybe this isn't YP at all, and they could just detect the same sense of entitlement on your application.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:27 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

Well, first of all, we don't even know if it's a deferral quite yet. But, if it is...

B) They keep track of all of the people with your numbers that get admitted, and I'm sure a very small percentage actually end up at Cornell. So, despite the fact that everyone who gets YPed is always the special snowflake that "WOULD'VE ATTENDED OVER (insert higher ranked school) IF ONLY...", schools keep track of numbers and play the odds just like we do.

+1

THIS WHOLE THING SCREAMS YIELD PROTECT

dont care what ppl say about Cornell usually not YPing, when they reject ppl who got into HYS, they know what they're doing and they do it for that reason
Last edited by SanBun on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split5

Postby Split5 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:28 pm

EA Complete Date: 11/09
Stats: WAY above 75th LSAT, WAY below 25th GPA
Unsolicited Fee Waiver: (Yes or No): Don't think so
Why Cornell: 3 lines

forza

Postby forza » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:29 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

Or maybe this isn't YP at all, and they could just detect the same sense of entitlement on your application.

Right. Dirt poor and looking to get scholarships at lower ranked schools (especially ones that place well in NYC) instead of paying big money at higher ranked ones, and I'm entitled.

hopefullaw27

Postby hopefullaw27 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

any thoughts on when the next DR batch will come out?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 pm

EA Complete Date: 10/1
Stats: Above both 75%
Why Cornell: Yes, 3 lines on app.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:32 pm

forza wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:

Right. Dirt poor and looking to get scholarships at lower ranked schools (especially ones that place well in NYC) instead of paying big money at higher ranked ones, and I'm entitled.

I think you are just in the same group as everyone else with stellar # who got deferred- the adcoms just assume you'll get into other great schools. But I understand your frustration- I mean let's be honest here, we all have schools that we consider 'safe' (more or less, as much as is possible in the LS app process) and it is a huge blow and disappointment to find out so early in the cycle that one will not get the kind of safety one was hoping for- i.e. at least acceptance at one school

forza

Postby forza » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 pm

SanBun wrote:I think you are just in the same group as everyone else with stellar # who got deferred- the adcoms just assume you'll get into other great schools. But I understand your frustration- I mean let's be honest here, we all have schools that we consider 'safe' and it is a huge blow and disappointment to find out so early in the cycle that one will not get the kind of safety one was hoping for- i.e. at least acceptance at one school

Yeah, and I understand the "Cornell is stingy" argument too.

But I've seen people with similar numbers nab a $105k scholarship, and if I somehow got that, it would be hard to turn away from Cornell.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”