Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
najumobi

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:32 pm

kareenak888 wrote:
najumobi wrote:
kareenak888 wrote:def.

URM:
GPA: 3.51
LSATS: 160

aa.

does aa stand for african-american? i'm baffled by this. you have a decent shot at higher ranked schools like penn and duke so your cycle may still go well.

you think they are just trying to gague my interest?

i really don't know what they're trying to do. i just know your stats fall within the optimal index score range for them...your numbers are about as high as you can get without necessarily being a shew-in at higher ranked schools, so you're an applicant with relatively higher numbers than black who normally attend cornell but your chances of ending up attending cornell if accepted are quite high.
Last edited by najumobi on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:33 pm

They must be using a very holistic approach this cycle... have the rejections started rolling out yet?

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:33 pm

SanBun wrote:QUESTION EVERYONE:

do you think it's possible they send out deferrals before acceptances? I know that apps are reviewed in the order received, but it is possible they make an effort to group them, i.e. DR 11/20 and 11/24= Deferred, later decisions= accepted?

Just wondering, since it's shocking NOBODY so far got in- seems waaaay to much of a coincidence

I think you're right about this, except... it still doesn't seem that apps are reviewed in the order received. I sent mine in 9/8, and have been complete since 9/29. Still under review.

So while they seem to be sending out deferrals before acceptances ONCE they're reviewed, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the order in which they're reviewed.

vasiok

Postby vasiok » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36 pm

a.shoshana wrote:

do you think it's possible they send out deferrals before acceptances? I know that apps are reviewed in the order received, but it is possible they make an effort to group them, i.e. DR 11/20 and 11/24= Deferred, later decisions= accepted?

Just wondering, since it's shocking NOBODY so far got in- seems waaaay to much of a coincidence

I think you're right about this, except... it still doesn't seem that apps are reviewed in the order received. I sent mine in 9/8, and have been complete since 9/29. Still under review.

So while they seem to be sending out deferrals before acceptances ONCE they're reviewed, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the order in which they're reviewed.

Are you above/below medians? super softs?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36 pm

a.shoshana wrote:I think you're right about this, except... it still doesn't seem that apps are reviewed in the order received. I sent mine in 9/8, and have been complete since 9/29. Still under review.

+1. I sent my app in the first week of September and have been EA Complete since 10/1. It looks to me like they may only accept people at or above both 75ths this early in the cycle. I assume no one at or above BOTH 75ths has been deferred yet?

Edit: I am at or above both 75ths and have good softs. And shoshana got into Harvard, so yeah she's good.

kareenak888

Postby kareenak888 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 pm

vasiok wrote:They must be using a very holistic approach this cycle... have the rejections started rolling out yet?

"holistic" I'm a URM and was def. According to others, I should have been accepted. So it's not really holistic. Cornell is doing something different this year in regards to EA. I don't know what it is but it's screwy.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 pm

DR 11/24... deferred...

bleh, I was actually really interested in Cornell provided I don't get accepted to my ED school (NYU)...

I'm glad I kind of knew to expect this, or else it would have been a pretty big shock. Oh well...

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:I think you're right about this, except... it still doesn't seem that apps are reviewed in the order received. I sent mine in 9/8, and have been complete since 9/29. Still under review.

+1. I sent my app in the first week of September and have been EA Complete since 10/1. It looks to me like they may only accept people at or above both 75ths this early in the cycle. I assume no one at or above BOTH 75ths has been deferred yet?

Edit: I am at or above both 75ths and have good softs. And shoshana got into Harvard, so yeah she's good.

+1 Complete 9/1 and then changed to EA on 9/15 COMPLETE. Above both 75% and have not gone to DR

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

vasiok wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:

Are you above/below medians? super softs?

I'm above 75% for both.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:40 pm

crackberry wrote:

hm, not sure about that. Why would they 'waste' a bunch of acceptances on people who they KNOW will most likely get into higher ranked schools? I would go with THIS:

vasiok wrote:They must be using a very holistic approach this cycle... have the rejections started rolling out yet?

EDIT: Also people keep in mind holistic doesn't mean if you have good softs you WILL get in under a holistic approach. They may be looking for specific types of applicants, whatever those might be
Last edited by SanBun on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuser

Postby Fuser » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:40 pm

The way things are going I'll probably be straight up rejected, but it's still a bit funny how having a 99 percentile LSAT or being a self-professed 'auto-admit' suddenly makes you come off as an entitled douche when god forbid you aren't admitted in November.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 pm

still at complete. with all the super high #s being deferred i am now expecting a straight up rejection. this is so depressing- i thought i would have gotten in at least one t14 (or ucla/bu) so far. i wonder if i'll get in anywhere at this rate. ugh. i really love cornell too....

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:43 pm

SanBun wrote:
hm, not sure about that. Why would they 'waste' a bunch of acceptances on people who they KNOW will most likely get into higher ranked schools?

Because I got into Harvard, and am hoping to go to Columbia, but if Cornell offers me enough money (just like any other T14), then I might go. We're not all rolling in the dough, here.

THAT'S why.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Fuser wrote:The way things are going I'll probably be straight up rejected, but it's still a bit funny how having a 99 percentile LSAT or being a self-professed 'auto-admit' suddenly makes you come off as an entitled douche when god forbid you aren't admitted in November.

I'm assuming you're referring to me and I'm the entitled douche in your reference? It was just unexpected for me, I don't have a problem with not being accepted in November, it's just a little confusing how they're doing it this year and I was operating on the assumption that, like last year, early decision date = acceptance. Sorry if I offended you.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:45 pm

any one think they have changed how their doing things this year in an attempt to increase their medians?

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Fuser wrote:The way things are going I'll probably be straight up rejected, but it's still a bit funny how having a 99 percentile LSAT or being a self-professed 'auto-admit' suddenly makes you come off as an entitled douche when god forbid you aren't admitted in November.

I'm assuming you're referring to me and I'm the entitled douche in your reference? It was just unexpected for me, I don't have a problem with not being accepted in November, it's just a little confusing how they're doing it this year and I was operating on the assumption that, like last year, early decision date = acceptance. Sorry if I offended you.

I didn't see you (Helm) come off that way, but I have seen what Fuser is talking about. I'm getting pretty tired of people seeing some of my acceptances on LSN and sending me messages about "how did you get in already and I haven't yet?!" Makes me feel real good.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm

helm is like the most megga douche eva

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Veritas wrote:helm is like the most megga douche eva

banned

panadera

Postby panadera » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
panadera wrote:and sending me messages about "how did you get in already and I haven't yet?!" Makes me feel real good.

Kepp in mind that one of those people is a major troll that has been posting using other people's names.

Thanks. I'm blowing it off.
Last edited by panadera on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

I'm URM and above one 75th and still at complete. I didn't go complete until 11/5 though so I could still get a deferral or rejection.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm

najumobi wrote:any one think they have changed how their doing things this year in an attempt to increase their medians?

It could be as simple as this: Every year, Cornell admits a certain number of applicants (30? 40?) via EA. This year, EA apps could be way up, partly because applications are up generally and partly because more people are aware of, and are taking advantage of, Cornell's non-binding EA option.

If Cornell decided not to increase the number of applicants it admits under EA, and if the number of EA applications is in fact much higher than last year, then it makes sense that Cornell would be more selective with its EA pool. It's probably not much more complicated than that.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm URM and above one 75th and still at complete. I didn't go complete until 11/5 though so I could still get a deferral or rejection.

did you hear from GULC

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Veritas wrote:helm is like the most megga douche eva

banned

<3

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:01 pm

It'll be funny when those who should have been "auto-admitted" but were instead deferred choose to remain under consideration and then are admitted in Feb. Only to withdraw their applications immediately in order hurt Cornell's yield, simply out of spite.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:01 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:It'll be funny when those who should have been "auto-admitted" but were instead deferred choose to remain under consideration and then are admitted in Feb. Only to withdraw their applications immediately in order hurt Cornell's yield, simply out of spite.

:twisted:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”