Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
robotoroboto
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby robotoroboto » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 am

Anybody recall what time of day their status switched to DR? I'm on the edge of my seat--though I am straight median, so I wouldn't be surprised if based on people with higher numbers getting deferred, mine is a straight-up reject batch

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 am

ankit wrote:Yep just called them as well.....deferred, though they said something about being placed on reserve and my application being reviewed again in March. Stats are in my profile.

I don't have much interest in providing additional information or a LOCI, so will likely withdraw. This hasn't been a pleasant experience.....


Jesus, that's crazy with your numbers. Right now I'm scrambling trying to figure out wtf was possibly wrong w/my app. This has got me a little concerned over my cycle. My attitude was basically, "well, at least I'll have Cornell to fall back on," which was probably pretentious of me, but I saw myself as basically an auto admit with my 99th percentile LSAT. Bleh.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 am

avacado111 wrote:also I withdrew over the phone. I'm not dealing with cornell anymore anyway.


Do you already have other T14 acceptances under your belt? Frankly, I'll probably be hammering out an LOCI after this UG semester ends.

ankit
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:48 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ankit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:23 am

Helmholtz wrote:
ankit wrote:Yep just called them as well.....deferred, though they said something about being placed on reserve and my application being reviewed again in March. Stats are in my profile.

I don't have much interest in providing additional information or a LOCI, so will likely withdraw. This hasn't been a pleasant experience.....


Jesus, that's crazy with your numbers. Right now I'm scrambling trying to figure out wtf was possibly wrong w/my app. This has got me a little concerned over my cycle. My attitude was basically, "well, at least I'll have Cornell to fall back on," which was probably pretentious of me, but I saw myself as basically an auto admit with my 99th percentile LSAT. Bleh.


Helm....I probably would have been worried too if Cornell was my first decision but I got accepted at Michigan/Gtown pretty early, and so I don't believe these deferrals are indicative of any of our cycles. Just take it with a pinch of salt and move on. Your numbers will lead to a great cycle nonetheless....

User avatar
Jacques
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Jacques » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 am

Helmholtz wrote:
ankit wrote:Yep just called them as well.....deferred, though they said something about being placed on reserve and my application being reviewed again in March. Stats are in my profile.

I don't have much interest in providing additional information or a LOCI, so will likely withdraw. This hasn't been a pleasant experience.....


Jesus, that's crazy with your numbers. Right now I'm scrambling trying to figure out wtf was possibly wrong w/my app. This has got me a little concerned over my cycle. My attitude was basically, "well, at least I'll have Cornell to fall back on," which was probably pretentious of me, but I saw myself as basically an auto admit with my 99th percentile LSAT. Bleh.


For what it's worth, Cornell does have one of the smallest law classes in the country. They've always been capable of being far more selective than they have been in the past. Perhaps, this year, with the glut of applicants, they're making their move.

On the other hand, perhaps this is exactly what they want -- lots of people who thought that Cornell was their "fall back" withdrawing their apps, leaving open slots for those that truly want to attend there.

Helm, I wouldn't worry about your cycle -- I'm sure that there are many other schools that will leap all over your numbers. As for everyone else, this isn't a time to panic; Cornell wants you to work to earn your admissions, to prove your loyalty, to demonstrate to them that you recognize that law school isn't a right, it's a privilege. Those of you that really want Cornell, roll up those sleeves, dig in, and get to it.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby tamlyric » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 am

Sorry to hear about all the bad and seemingly inexplicable news. I applied EA, but haven't yet gone to DR. I have to believe, though, that Cornell has reasons for the decisions it's making--even if we cannot tell what they are. For whatever it's worth, I would suggest that staying positive and proactive is the best course of action for anyone who really wants to attend Cornell and gets deferred.

Renewed good luck y'all! :D

User avatar
anmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby anmo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 am

Helm, avocado and others... when did you get DR? thanks and sorry to hear about the bad news :cry:

laolbjob
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby laolbjob » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:37 am

:evil: So this thread is 45 pages long and nobody's gotten admitted?!?!

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby CyLaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:37 am

ankit wrote:Helm....I probably would have been worried too if Cornell was my first decision but I got accepted at Michigan/Gtown pretty early, and so I don't believe these deferrals are indicative of any of our cycles. Just take it with a pinch of salt and move on. Your numbers will lead to a great cycle nonetheless....


TITCR. Positive thinking all. Nobody knows why the adcomms do the voodoo they do so well.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:39 am

anmo wrote:Helm, avocado and others... when did you get DR? thanks and sorry to hear about the bad news :cry:


It switched to DR on the 27th.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 am

I'm still at complete but I am curious to know what this means for my 99th percentile LSAT and TTT GPA. :?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:57 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm still at complete but I am curious to know what this means for my 99th percentile LSAT and TTT GPA. :?


For me, it meant deferral.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 am

oneforship wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm still at complete but I am curious to know what this means for my 99th percentile LSAT and TTT GPA. :?


For me, it meant deferral.


I see you're in at UVA. Will you be withdrawing from Cornell? Not sure what I would do if I were to get deferred...

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby swc65 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:03 am

OK well I spoke to them this morning and interview requests are still considered EA. I asked the lady what was happening with all the high numbered people being deferred and she had no idea.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:07 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
oneforship wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I'm still at complete but I am curious to know what this means for my 99th percentile LSAT and TTT GPA. :?


For me, it meant deferral.


I see you're in at UVA. Will you be withdrawing from Cornell? Not sure what I would do if I were to get deferred...


To be honest, I haven't decided yet. I'm going to see what happens this month with my ED school, and take it from there.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby CyLaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:10 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 am

I know they were having computer problems in the beginning of the cycle...maybe they're just super behind and won't be able to get decisions by the EA deadline?

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:15 am

Called the admissions office. While still very nice, they did confirm that "most likely" my application will be reviewed again in time for March and told me to please send any LOCI, updated personal statement, updated resume, LORs and any other pieces of information I'd like to be put into my file.

I'm a touch frustrated. I really, really like Cornell but my application was pretty much my application. I'm working, so theres only so much updating that can occur. I'll send in a LOCI and my updated LSAT, but with a GPA at median and my LSAT above median, I thought I had a really good shot. This is making me think there is something very wrong with my application.

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:15 am

sympathies to all those deferred. weird, weird, weird.

FWIW, i've been complete since 10/2 and am still sitting on a complete. stats in profile, wrote a why cornell, and still nothing. i really wanted cornell for UG but had to follow the money and i really like them. jeez, cornell.
Last edited by gahthelaw on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:17 am

Pearalegal wrote:This is making me think there is something very wrong with my application.


That's probably not the case, seeing as I was deferred but have been accepted to two T14 schools already.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:20 am

mer mer mer.

ilovelawapps
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby ilovelawapps » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:21 am

Pearalegal wrote:Called the admissions office. While still very nice, they did confirm that "most likely" my application will be reviewed again in time for March and told me to please send any LOCI, updated personal statement, updated resume, LORs and any other pieces of information I'd like to be put into my file.

I'm a touch frustrated. I really, really like Cornell but my application was pretty much my application. I'm working, so theres only so much updating that can occur. I'll send in a LOCI and my updated LSAT, but with a GPA at median and my LSAT above median, I thought I had a really good shot. This is making me think there is something very wrong with my application.


Same position

oneforship wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:This is making me think there is something very wrong with my application.


That's probably not the case, seeing as I was deferred but have been accepted to two T14 schools already.


This has to be right, way too many ppl with good numbers are getting deferred for it to be an error in your (or anyone elses) app.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:31 am

I just don't like that we're now being considered later than everyone else. That makes me nervous. If they didn't like me very much in September, why would they like me more in March?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 am

Pearalegal wrote:I just don't like that we're now being considered later than everyone else. That makes me nervous. If they didn't like me very much in September, why would they like me more in March?


Pure speculation on my part: But I bet if you submit your LOCI and any additional materials sooner rather than later, you will be looked at before then.

I could be way off, but it doesn't seem to make sense for them to push all these people back to Feb/Mar, especially considering some of the #s they have deferred. It seems to me if some of those deferred were to express a profound interest in attending Cornell, it would be in Cornell's interest to review them sooner, rather than later.

Just my .02.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 am

Pearalegal wrote:I just don't like that we're now being considered later than everyone else. That makes me nervous. If they didn't like me very much in September, why would they like me more in March?
after taking a closer look at who actually gets into cornell under EA, the vast majority of people getting in are those with both lsat and gpa way above median and who withdraw, electing to choose to attend higher ranked schools. not very many people with numbers (whether it's just lsat, just gpa, or both) close to median actually get in under EA.

those with your stats and lower (e.g. 1 stat above median, 1 stat below median) are the norm for admission under RD.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, ladida88, sonyco and 9 guests