Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calicocat

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby calicocat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 am

I wanna hear from someone tommorow sooooo bad!!!!!! COME ON CORNELL show me some love :(

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:50 am

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:I was checking out the thread from last year and I don't see anyway to draw comparisons. They sent out acceptances first, in early December and then rejections/deferrals. :|

Also, they were accepting all the types of numbers we've seen deferred in this group. I really feel like they are trying to make their EA program slightly more "legit" - accepting those who scream "cornell" and deferring most others who might have just applied for the sake of applying.

That's the strange part. Cornell doesn't ask you to choose whether or not to apply EA. You automatically become EA just by sending in the apps early. Few others were asked if they wanted to be considered EA in part because they were so close to the EA deadline.

If they wanted to make it "legit" wouldn't they ask the applicants to choose EA or not?

They do, Question No. 8.

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:53 am

kpd-m wrote:
Veritas wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:I was checking out the thread from last year and I don't see anyway to draw comparisons. They sent out acceptances first, in early December and then rejections/deferrals. :|

Also, they were accepting all the types of numbers we've seen deferred in this group. I really feel like they are trying to make their EA program slightly more "legit" - accepting those who scream "cornell" and deferring most others who might have just applied for the sake of applying.

That's the strange part. Cornell doesn't ask you to choose whether or not to apply EA. You automatically become EA just by sending in the apps early. Few others were asked if they wanted to be considered EA in part because they were so close to the EA deadline.

If they wanted to make it "legit" wouldn't they ask the applicants to choose EA or not?

Why would they email to ask if you want to be considered EA if you applied before the deadline and it's just an assumed thing?

I'm pretty sure there was a little box to check.

edit: There is, question 8 on the application.

But some people (myself included) were emailed asking if we wanted to be considered. I didn't check the box, they checked it for me. I don't understand it either.

I checked "No" and, I too, was contacted to see if I wanted EA.

Laina

Postby Laina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 am

ruleser wrote:
Laina wrote:I've been living in this thread, but I wish I could join all of you in knowing whether I'm in the 11/20 or 11/24 batch--I submitted at the end of October and never got a complete e-mail. When I tried to sign up for the status checker on their website yesterday, they told me they had no record of my application. Awesome. Guess I'll be calling tomorrow morning. :/ I hope they still consider me in EA (although I guess that doesn't really make a difference, does it? Ugh.).

With your numbers and as URM, you will be applying to YH I assume...

Yes, I am...no JR1 though :(

ProfitsProphets

Postby ProfitsProphets » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 am

Matypete wrote:Question: To those who were offered EA, did you accept it?

Yes, I took the opportunity in a heartbeat! I checked "No" because of my non-competitive lsat score. However, I have everything else going for me, great softs and gpa, so I'm aiming to set a precedence here.

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:10 am

Just waked up, it's Monday! Come on, Cornell!

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:38 am

Holy shit guys, it's Monday.

laolbjob

Postby laolbjob » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

SilverE2 wrote:Holy shit guys, it's Monday.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

beebs

Postby beebs » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:06 am

+1

Don't think I've ever been this excited for a Monday.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 am

beebs wrote:

+1

Don't think I've ever been this excited for a Monday.

I actually had to think about what my login info is for my [many] status checkers...

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:23 am

zomg it's the morning. I wish admissions opened at 830 am. lol.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:26 am

Admissions office opens at 8, they give decisions over phone. I was deferred. Approximation of numbers in profile. Upward grade trend. Nothing great in terms of softs but nothing negative like disciplinary actions. No Why Cornell essay.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:28 am

Helmholtz wrote:Admissions office opens at 8, they give decisions over phone. I was deferred. Approximation of numbers in profile. Upward grade trend. Nothing great in terms of softs but nothing negative like disciplinary actions. No Why Cornell essay.

I thought Cornell specifically stated that a "Why Cornell" essay was unwanted and that we were to use the three blank lines on the application. Am I wrong?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:31 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Admissions office opens at 8, they give decisions over phone. I was deferred. Approximation of numbers in profile. Upward grade trend. Nothing great in terms of softs but nothing negative like disciplinary actions. No Why Cornell essay.

I thought Cornell specifically stated that a "Why Cornell" essay was unwanted and that we were to use the three blank lines on the application. Am I wrong?

I've heard of people attaching a one page sheet to supplement their essay, it was far from required, though, and I expect that most people did not do one.

mrdavis

Postby mrdavis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 am

Now I have to fight off the urge to call and ruin my day.....why would you taunt me?! :o

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:37 am

I just called at 8:09. Deferred. wtf?

helmholtz, you should (and I should) have been in. I don't know what went wrong. The admissions office has gotten crazy. That's all I can say.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:39 am

also I withdrew over the phone. I'm not dealing with cornell anymore anyway.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:40 am

avacado111 wrote:also I withdrew over the phone. I'm not dealing with cornell anymore anyway.

wow...ava, aren't you an urm with over median lsat?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 am

najumobi wrote:
avacado111 wrote:also I withdrew over the phone. I'm not dealing with cornell anymore anyway.

Yes, I have no idea wtf cornell admissions is on. That's for sure.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 am

avacado111 wrote:
najumobi wrote:

thought you were...i wonder what one has to get into cornell...they've become such a black hole this cycle.

ankit

Postby ankit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:45 am

Yep just called them as well.....deferred, though they said something about being placed on reserve and my application being reviewed again in March. Stats are in my profile.

I don't have much interest in providing additional information or a LOCI, so will likely withdraw. This hasn't been a pleasant experience.....

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:46 am

najumobi wrote:
avacado111 wrote:
najumobi wrote:

thought you were...i wonder what one has to get into cornell...they've become such a black hole this cycle.

also my gpa isn't that shabby... I actually was expecting an admit.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 am

ankit wrote:Yep just called them as well.....deferred, though they said something about being placed on reserve and my application being reviewed again in March. Stats are in my profile.

I don't have much interest in providing additional information or a LOCI, so will likely withdraw. This hasn't been a pleasant experience.....

that's why i withdrew over the phone.
But don't they rereview everyone's file anyway? That's extremely odd. WTF would they do that to you, me and helmholtz? It wasn't a good experience anyway. I think they are baiting their applicants and waiting to see their commitment to cornell.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 am

avacado111 wrote:also my gpa isn't that shabby... I actually was expecting an admit.

yeah....i'm sorry man. have you heard back from gtown (assuming you applied). that would probably be more telling of how your app stacks up than a deferred decision.
Last edited by najumobi on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ankit

Postby ankit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:51 am

Yeah I don't get it. Its likely that I was YPd, but they asked for a "Why Cornell" right there in the application! I wonder what else they want??

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”