Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Jacques wrote:By the way -- and, as a fellow Cornell applicant, I feel justified in saying this -- but does anyone else love the inherent drama in the law school applications process?

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the thrill of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

Perhaps it's because recently I've been thinking about how lucky I am just to have the opportunity to apply to law school, just to be given the opportunity to reach, the chance to embark out into the unknown.

Be sure to take a moment to soak this all in. To wait like this, to have these worries; this is a privilege.

Courage! Here's to all of us.

amen. as much as i hated studying for the lsats, waiting for the scores to be released... applying to law schools, and now waiting for letters... its been very exciting. all the more reason to wake up in the morning with something to look forward to.

In the end i know that it's going to be one hell of a ride. A major accomplishment that only a small fraction of the US population can achieve... we are all lucky and blessed

so whatever happens guys... i wish all of you guys good luck and prosperity!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Jacques wrote:By the way -- and, as a fellow Cornell applicant, I feel justified in saying this -- but does anyone else love the inherent drama in the law school applications process?

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the thrill of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

Perhaps it's because recently I've been thinking about how lucky I am just to have the opportunity to apply to law school, just to be given the opportunity to reach, the chance to embark out into the unknown.

Be sure to take a moment to soak this all in. To wait like this, to have these worries; this is a privilege.

:? what's with this positive energy crap?

we're all doomed!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Veritas wrote:

:? what's with this positive energy crap?

we're all doomed!

+1

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the pure joy of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

It sounds like you have all reached the 5th stage of the grief cycle. Congrats!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:02 pm

KS you should be studying, you only have 1 WEEK!!! AHHHHH

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:04 pm

CRZY over admissions. ZOMG

at least this mystery will be almost solved. Tomorrow anyways.

I'm off guys, gluck everyone, I look forward to a wonderful morning stalking the cornell waiting room. I also look forward to helmholtz phone results.

hahaha. peace out.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:05 pm

ksgator wrote:

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the pure joy of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

It sounds like he needs to write another PS - that's where fluffy rah rah stuff like that goes. Go fill out an ap and then come back here when you are ready to expect the worst and sulk a lot...

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 pm

ruleser wrote:
ksgator wrote:

It sounds like he needs to write another PS - that's where fluffy rah rah stuff like that goes. Go fill out an ap and then come back here when you are ready to expect the worst and sulk a lot...

I hope to join in the sulking and inevitable rejection very soon!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:11 pm

yay KS, join us!

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:15 pm

ruleser wrote:
ksgator wrote:

I'd rather not. Actually, it seems that most of you missed the point of my post -- I'm not as much optimistic about my chances as I am simply honored to take part. I could get shut out, but I'd still know that I was in the room, that I had a chance. I'm excited to be in the mix.

Maybe it's my background, my past. It's where I'm coming from. I know what I had to do to get here. There's still a great deal of the mountain to climb, but, for this moment, I'm taking in the view, even if it's just for a few seconds.

More importantly, what I love is the drama -- the storylines in these threads are as gripping as any novel, as engaging as any film. Sure, the information here is useful. But it's also a good reason to tune in.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reminder Jacques! It's easy to lose perspective. :D

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

najumobi wrote:
mbw wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Mosca wrote:Have any URMs been deferred?

i was deferred, 163, 2.92.
not too surprised...even for an urm applying to cornell very far from auto-admit. though i have to say that my cornell index is approximately the same as blacks attending cornell (at least the 5/6 on lsn): ~3.10-3.15. for the most part they applied and were admitted under RD.

I'd be willing to wager a significant sum that, unless you're hiding some ax murdering past, your deferral will turn into an acceptance in Feb/Mar.

My suggestion is to write a LOCI 1) giving any further support that your GPA is not indicative of your potential, and 2) look into the interests of Cornell faculty and if you see something that you'd like to explore further (cough, death penalty, cough) and include that interest as well.

And for everyone deferred, don't use the "d" on LSN as indicative - it used to mean that the applicant decided to defer an application/acceptance, not that the school deferred you until regular admission - thus, a lot of us who were "deferred" will not show up by merely looking at "d"s.

yeah i wrote an gpa addendum related to medical issues with my initial application.
i'll be retaking the lsat next week...think a 2-5 point increase,to bring my score to somewhere in the range of 165-168, would get me over the hump?

Najumobi, did you write a "Why Cornell" statement?

mbw

Postby mbw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:18 pm

najumobi wrote:
mbw wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Mosca wrote:Have any URMs been deferred?

i was deferred, 163, 2.92.
not too surprised...even for an urm applying to cornell very far from auto-admit. though i have to say that my cornell index is approximately the same as blacks attending cornell (at least the 5/6 on lsn): ~3.10-3.15. for the most part they applied and were admitted under RD.

I'd be willing to wager a significant sum that, unless you're hiding some ax murdering past, your deferral will turn into an acceptance in Feb/Mar.

My suggestion is to write a LOCI 1) giving any further support that your GPA is not indicative of your potential, and 2) look into the interests of Cornell faculty and if you see something that you'd like to explore further (cough, death penalty, cough) and include that interest as well.

And for everyone deferred, don't use the "d" on LSN as indicative - it used to mean that the applicant decided to defer an application/acceptance, not that the school deferred you until regular admission - thus, a lot of us who were "deferred" will not show up by merely looking at "d"s.

yeah i wrote an gpa addendum related to medical issues with my initial application.
i'll be retaking the lsat next week...think a 2-5 point increase,to bring my score to somewhere in the range of 165-168, would get me over the hump?

I think if you have a really good GPA explanation (which it sounds like you do, as did I,) then I think even a slight bump will, of course, help. However, I don't think it's absolutely necessary. (Note, the rest of this is not directed at you, but the thread.)

People have talked about Cornell's holistic approach, and I think that with the recent changes in admissions committee members, this is probably closer to the truth than other theories being batted around. Last year, while most T14s saw their URM/minority populations drop (some, like GULC, precipitously,) Cornell's increased 10% - that wasn't shear luck of the draw. The admissions committee takes diversity very seriously (and I'm not just talking ethnicity here.) Half of the class was represented this year at our AOP (special orientation for diverse applicants.) If Cornell is holding a lot of people over, it's probably not just because of numbers - but because they might have a lot of people just like you in the applicant pool, and they're just figuring out who fills the special snowflake mold. (Not you, naju - I'll still think you'll end up in the special snowflake mold - although you probably will at other schools too, so will have tough choices to make.) There will be plenty of space in the end for snowflakes and non-snowflakes alike - that's what diversity is really all about, right?

And my suggestion would be not to harass the admissions office - it's a very small staff, and they're working as hard as they can. Mail will arrive when it arrives. It's just a day or two in your lives.
Last edited by mbw on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Jacques wrote:
ruleser wrote:
ksgator wrote:

I'd rather not. Actually, it seems that most of you missed the point of my post -- I'm not as much optimistic about my chances as I am simply honored to take part. I could get shut out, but I'd still know that I was in the room, that I had a chance. I'm excited to be in the mix.

Maybe it's my background, my past. It's where I'm coming from. I know what I had to do to get here. There's still a great deal of the mountain to climb, but, for this moment, I'm taking in the view, even if it's just for a few seconds.

More importantly, what I love is the drama -- the storylines in these threads are as gripping as any novel, as engaging as any film. Sure, the information here is useful. But it's also a good reason to tune in.

I was giving you a hard time :wink:

As a re-applicant I 100% understand and empathize with your statement. I do feel honored (for me, more like blessed) to engage in a debacle over Cornell admissions :D

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Veritas wrote:
Jacques wrote:
ruleser wrote:It sounds like he needs to write another PS - that's where fluffy rah rah stuff like that goes. Go fill out an ap and then come back here when you are ready to expect the worst and sulk a lot...

I was giving you a hard time :wink:

As a re-applicant I 100% understand and empathize with your statement. I do feel honored (for me, more like blessed) to engage in a debacle over Cornell admissions :D

+1 Oh, irony. No, we don't get that here. See, here people ski topless while smoking dope, so irony really isn't a big priority. No, we haven't had any irony around here since 1983, when I was the lone practitioner of it, and I stopped because I was tired of being stared at. (Steve Martin in his movie Roxanne)

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:37 pm

mbw wrote:...fills the special snowflake mold...

lol.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:52 pm

another question....does cornell not outright reject EA people? do they just shuffle all the unwanted apps over to the normal cycle?

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:56 pm

Check out this blog I just found of a current Cornell 1L: --LinkRemoved--

Good luck to everyone!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05 am

Pearalegal wrote:At a bar waiting for my friends. Still so depressed over Cornell that I wanted to say gi. Have ordered buffalo wings, beer and watching the nd game. They haven't let me in yet either.

AAHHHH

Hahaha, go Cardinal! Glad we could send Charlie Weis out on a high note.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am

tintin wrote:another question....does cornell not outright reject EA people? do they just shuffle all the unwanted apps over to the normal cycle?

i think so bc as of now LSN individual reports indicate that everyone is either accepted or waitlisted. no one has indicated that they've been rejected outright.

march319

Postby march319 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:14 am

Not to get anyone's hopes up or down. But according to this thread from last year, those who did EA who had "Decision Rendered" and were accepted, had a link to the admitted students site right under their DR on the status checker. However, some people were who were accepted did not get the whole blurb about the admitted students site until a few days after DR put up.

Read this thread for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49651

A quote from the thread:
"My Cornell status checker says decision and has the following message under the box:

Decision The Admissions Committee has reached decision on your application file and you will receive a written decision soon. Please be patient with the postal system. Please wait for 10 to 14 days to receive your written decision before contacting the Admissions Office.

******, now that you have checked out the status of your application, please feel free to see what other Cornell Law School applicants are talking about on the Admitted Student Discussion Site.

How the Discussion Site Works
As an admitted student to our law school you are welcome to join the Cornell Law School Community via a Discussion Group and Chatroom that we have established. Once you obtain your admission decision, just click on the link to join the online discussion site. Just click on a particular forum to join the community. If you have questions, click on the Help (the lifesaver Icon) for assistance. "

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 am

march319 wrote:Najumobi, did you write a "Why Cornell" statement?

no, i just used the 3 lines the application form provided since i felt i could sum up why i want to go there in just a couple sentences. the only optional application item i included was my diversity statement.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:17 am

I'm not sure they are doing anything the same as last year, and I'm hoping the admitted students page link is the same.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:18 am

interesting.....but now that cornell seems to be mixing up its pattern this year, who knows what it will say.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”