Cornell waiting room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
avacado111

Re: Cornell waiting room

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Every school is expecting a surge in applications, per Illinois Dean Pless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell is trying to bump it's medians. The vast majority of applications are sent in December and January and I wouldn't be surpised if Cornell just wishes to see the lay of the land.

I understand trying to boost their medians, but deferring people with possible CCN numbers (or, at least CCN numbers in the '09 app cycle)?

I'm waiting for your results tomorrow helmholtz :) anxious is more like it.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:11 pm

ruleser wrote:You're a serious splitter - very interested to see how your cycle plays out. Interesting you got an interview with GULC, definitely curious to see what Cornell does...
You and me both.

Calling it now:
WL or OUT at Cornell
WL at GULC
WL at UVA
WL at NU
IN at WUSTL
IN with full ride plus stipend plus shiatsu sessions with Dean at Yale - even without having to apply. I'm that awesome.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm

NayBoer wrote:
ruleser wrote:You're a serious splitter - very interested to see how your cycle plays out. Interesting you got an interview with GULC, definitely curious to see what Cornell does...
You and me both.

Calling it now:
WL or OUT at Cornell
WL at GULC
WL at UVA
WL at NU
IN at WUSTL
IN with full ride plus stipend plus shiatsu sessions with Dean at Yale - even without having to apply. I'm that awesome.

I don't know, sounds like GULC is really considering you if they want an interview.

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 pm

Is there anyone who submitted their application very close to the deadline (between October 25th and November 2nd) that has been deferred? I'm thinking that maybe there will be two batches of deferrals. One for people who submitted super early and another for those who submitted near the deadline. But, who knows...

And is there anyone out there who received an unsolicited fee waiver that was deferred?

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Every school is expecting a surge in applications, per Illinois Dean Pless, and I wouldn't be surprised if Cornell is trying to bump it's medians. The vast majority of applications are sent in December and January and I wouldn't be surpised if Cornell just wishes to see the lay of the land.

I understand trying to boost their medians, but deferring people with possible CCN numbers (or, at least CCN numbers in the '09 app cycle)?

I've seen one or two MVP numbers, which is cause for concern/confusion in and of itself, but not CCN numbers.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm

avacado111 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I'm waiting for your results tomorrow helmholtz :) anxious is more like it.

Cornell admit office tomorrow:
9:00AM no calls
9:05 no calls
9:10 Helmholtz calls - finds out you can get your decision by phone
9:12 100 simultaneous TLSer calls, circuits kick into Ticket Master event-like cue - hold time up to 1 hour...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:17 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I've seen one or two MVP numbers, which is cause for concern/confusion in and of itself, but not CCN numbers.

I know of at least one person who got deferred who would be LSP "consider" for at least one of CCN. Maybe the term "CCN numbers" was a little strong.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm

march319 wrote:Is there anyone who submitted their application very close to the deadline (between October 25th and November 2nd) that has been deferred? I'm thinking that maybe there will be two batches of deferrals. One for people who submitted super early and another for those who submitted near the deadline. But, who knows...

And is there anyone out there who received an unsolicited fee waiver that was deferred?

There are 2 batches already. the 20th and the 24th.

In LSN there are several people who got the 24th decision (don't know if its a deferral yet), and they were completed on November 2nd or 3rd. So super early and deadline theory is out the window.

Although the theory that deferrals got to people quicker due to their small size is still valid, as there are quite a few people who got the 24th decision and no mail yet.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

finalaspects wrote:
march319 wrote:Is there anyone who submitted their application very close to the deadline (between October 25th and November 2nd) that has been deferred? I'm thinking that maybe there will be two batches of deferrals. One for people who submitted super early and another for those who submitted near the deadline. But, who knows...

There are 2 batches already. the 20th and the 24th.

In LSN there are several people who got the 24th decision (don't know if its a deferral yet), and they were completed in November 2nd or 3rd. So super early and deadline theory is out the window.

Although the theory that deferrals got to people quicker due to their small size is still valid, as there are quite a few people who got the 24th decision and no mail yet.

I don't know yet. I went DR 24th and did not get a deferral, and other people have on the east cost. I have no idea wtf is going on. Tomorrow will clear it up. Just a few short hours. lol.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

finalaspects wrote:There are 2 batches already. the 20th and the 24th.

In LSN there are several people who got the 24th decision (don't know if its a deferral yet), and they were completed in November 2nd or 3rd. So super early and deadline theory is out the window.

Yeah, there's a 171/3.99 in the 11/24 decision batch - there have to be some accepts in there I would think...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 pm

avacado111 wrote:I don't know yet. I went DR 24th and did not get a deferral, and other people have on the east cost. I have no idea wtf is going on. Tomorrow will clear it up. Just a few short hours. lol.

Yea that's what i was saying. that not all the 24th DR may be deferrals. You'll find out soon and hopefully it'll be an acceptance!

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Is there anyone from the 11/20 crowd who is still waiting for a letter?

js87

Postby js87 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Are we expecting another batch of decisions this week? Still EA Complete 10/28 with a 171 and a 3.75. I'm a reapplicant with a new (10 point higher) LSAT and this round of deferrals has made me pretty nervous. :shock:

march319

Postby march319 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Are we expecting another batch of deferrals or are these two (20th and 24th) the only batches we should expect? Does anyone know how many different batches of deferrals there were last year?

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:43 pm

js87 wrote:Are we expecting another batch of decisions this week? Still EA Complete 10/28 with a 171 and a 3.75. I'm a reapplicant with a new (10 point higher) LSAT and this round of deferrals has made me pretty nervous. :shock:

I would think there would be another batch this week. I went complete 11/5.

That shiny new LSAT score should get you something in CCN though. Good luck!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:52 pm

zOMG tomorrow is ALMOST here.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Veritas wrote:zOMG tomorrow is ALMOST here.

it becomes shorter if you plan to sleep. lol.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 pm

avacado111 wrote:
Veritas wrote:zOMG tomorrow is ALMOST here.

it becomes shorter if you plan to sleep. lol.

lol. I sleep! I swear!

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:18 pm

sharthree wrote:Hey All,

Just wanted to update you all on the interview situation. I was one of the ones that they requested an interview from and I am expecting that to happen on Wednesday. Will keep you all apprised.

Sharthree.

What r ur stats again?

EDIT: nevermind, I remember now - your situation is unique I think, but still interested to hear how it goes.

roxj

Postby roxj » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:42 pm

I think we are being a bit to numbers-focused. Like someone said above, it's possible they are just being holistic at this point. It is still so early in the cycle, they get to be really picky. Especially since a deferral is not a rejection and they can still admit you later. So many applicants have the exact same numbers, and there are so few seats to fill. Maybe they are only admitting people right now with the numbers AND the soft factors, and deferring the others. Just a theory, I don't know what everyone's softs are who have been deferred so far, feel free to shoot my theory down. (I'm at early action complete as of 11/17 or something).

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:47 pm

mbw wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Mosca wrote:Have any URMs been deferred?

i was deferred, 163, 2.92.
not too surprised...even for an urm applying to cornell very far from auto-admit. though i have to say that my cornell index is approximately the same as blacks attending cornell (at least the 5/6 on lsn): ~3.10-3.15. for the most part they applied and were admitted under RD.

I'd be willing to wager a significant sum that, unless you're hiding some ax murdering past, your deferral will turn into an acceptance in Feb/Mar.

My suggestion is to write a LOCI 1) giving any further support that your GPA is not indicative of your potential, and 2) look into the interests of Cornell faculty and if you see something that you'd like to explore further (cough, death penalty, cough) and include that interest as well.

And for everyone deferred, don't use the "d" on LSN as indicative - it used to mean that the applicant decided to defer an application/acceptance, not that the school deferred you until regular admission - thus, a lot of us who were "deferred" will not show up by merely looking at "d"s.

yeah i wrote an gpa addendum related to medical issues with my initial application.
i'll be retaking the lsat next week...think a 2-5 point increase,to bring my score to somewhere in the range of 165-168, would get me over the hump?

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 pm

By the way -- and, as a fellow Cornell applicant, I feel justified in saying this -- but does anyone else love the inherent drama in the law school applications process?

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the pure joy of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

Perhaps it's because recently I've been thinking about how lucky I am just to have the opportunity to apply to law school, just to be given the opportunity to reach, the chance to embark out into the unknown.

Be sure to take a moment to soak this all in. To wait like this, to have these worries; this is a privilege.

Courage! Here's to all of us.
Last edited by Jacques on Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxj

Postby roxj » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:52 pm

Jacques wrote:By the way -- and, as a fellow Cornell applicant, I feel justified in saying this -- but does anyone else love the inherent drama in the law school applications process?

Cornell's mysterious ways, the FT/PT melange of Georgetown, JR1s and JR2s, waiting for cell phones to ring; the thrill of victory, the sting of defeat, the cliffhanger of deferment and WL...it's an undeniable thrill.

Perhaps it's because recently I've been thinking about how lucky I am just to have the opportunity to apply to law school, just to be given the opportunity to reach, the chance to embark out into the unknown.

Be sure to take a moment to soak this all in. To wait like this, to have these worries; this is a privilege.

Courage! Here's to all of us.

+1. This is terrible, but I know it's also great. And finally opening the mailbox and seeing the big envelope sitting there is the best feeling.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”