Cornell waiting room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Split5

Bronze

Re: Cornell waiting room

Post by Split5 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 am

EAC 11/9, uuuuuuuuuuuugh.

tilghmab

New

Post by tilghmab » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:38 am

EAC 11/2

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:43 am

EAC 10/28.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:EAC 10/28.
I was starting to get scared that I was the only October date left.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:45 pm

dakatz wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:EAC 10/28.
I was starting to get scared that I was the only October date left.
um, EAC 10/1 here........

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

EAC 10/9

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Phew. (In response to the other Octoberers). Well, based on my numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if I am held over. But, I would be in shock if Cornell discounts my 168 this year in hopes of raising their median above that. I mean, this year is extra competitive, I know, but you'd think they'd try to move their median to 168 and their 75th perhaps to 169, and I thought I wrote a pretty solid PS and have some strong extras in the bag. I know of course that they are seeing a TON of 168s this year, so not trying to make myself out as if I am something special, but come on!

The more this waiting process goes on (for every school I am still waiting on), the more disgusted I become at how numbers-centric law admissions are. If they interview business students at business schools, you'd think that law schools would take even more precaution when admitting their students. Instead, you get two f-ing numbers and that's it! You're in or out. :(

SHARK WEEK.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:52 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:Phew. (In response to the other Octoberers). Well, based on my numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if I am held over. But, I would be in shock if Cornell discounts my 168 this year in hopes of raising their median above that. I mean, this year is extra competitive, I know, but you'd think they'd try to move their median to 168 and their 75th perhaps to 169, and I thought I wrote a pretty solid PS and have some strong extras in the bag. I know of course that they are seeing a TON of 168s this year, so not trying to make myself out as if I am something special, but come on!

The more this waiting process goes on (for every school I am still waiting on), the more disgusted I become at how numbers-centric law admissions are. If they interview business students at business schools, you'd think that law schools would take even more precaution when admitting their students. Instead, you get two f-ing numbers and that's it! You're in or out. :(

SHARK WEEK.
yes, i am also thoroughly disgusted

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:03 pm

By the way, I am e.a.c. late October.

Another brief rant, sorry:

Now that I have more insight into the law school admissions process, whenever a current law student tells me they go to Prestigious Law School X, I'm not immediately impressed. Instead, I ask them what their GPA is/was in law school, and often times (at least with my friends) they say something like, "Oh, well it was okay, yea, I actually had a realization in law school that I want to do public interest law, etc." O-rly? :roll: These friends crack me up. I know them, and they went to law school to make $$ - that's it. I always wonder: "Are you sure you had an epiphany? Or, did law school kick your butt? You tell me."

SHARK WEEK.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:10 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote: The more this waiting process goes on (for every school I am still waiting on), the more disgusted I become at how numbers-centric law admissions are.

Agreed! But I mostly just resent having to go through the stressful experience of writing an essay, and the tedious work of filling in my personal information in a million different ways on applications. Adcomms, if you're not going to read it, don't ask me to write it.

(I am mostly kidding here- I am aware that lawyers spend their lives drafting documents that nobody reads.)

hv1

Bronze

Post by hv1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:55 pm

didn't those who were EAC but took december lsat as a retake receive an email saying they were held over for regular?

lawblahblah

New

Post by lawblahblah » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:02 pm

hv1 wrote:didn't those who were EAC but took december lsat as a retake receive an email saying they were held over for regular?
I retook in December and did not get that e-mail. I went DR on 12/8, accepted.

tilghmab

New

Post by tilghmab » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes, yes, I am also frustrated by the admissions process. However, try and keep things in perspective - while I agree that a two or three question difference on a single standardized exam should not be the decisive admissions factor between John and Jane Doe, the decision has to be made one way or another. Given the unpredictability of the quality of institutional curricula, it makes sense, to a certain extent, to heavily weight the performance of a standardized exam. Although it is discouraging to watch the simultaneous auto-admit of a 3.4/173 student and the deferral of a 3.85/168 (hello, world) student, these schools necessarily know more about this process than we do. Maybe those three or four questions are more important than we would like to believe?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as frustrated as the next 168er. I consistently score 177+ on my practice LSATs but I failed to score up to that potential in September. I can only hope my December score will be a true reflection of my mastery of LSAT material. I'm not sure what such a dramatic drop between practice and test-day scores says about me, but maybe it's a bit more defining than some of us can come to accept.

EDIT: Although I'm playing the part, I should admit that my recent acceptance to Michigan and the personalized note written by the admissions director regarding my curriculum (and NOT LSAT score) has really won me over. Even if my December score is a dramatic improvement and a few other schools decide to come around, Michigan will always be the school that recognized my potential prior to a 99%+ LSAT score.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chrysander

New

Post by Chrysander » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 am

I spoke with admissions on Thursday and they said that decisions should be coming basically every day until the 24th.

hiro86

Bronze

Post by hiro86 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:36 am

Got the Cornell acceptance package today. It definitely made it sound like the Dean's Scholarship (40k/yr) is only offered to some admits. Apparently they award "up to" 10 of the scholarships a year. I'm not sure if that means they make 10 offers a year and they say up to because some people end up going elsewhere or what the deal is. If they only offer 10 a year I am not too thrilled about my chances. To be considered for the scholarship you have to write a 500 word essay advising a student entering undergrad on how they should decide on a major.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:38 am

Chrysander wrote:I spoke with admissions on Thursday and they said that decisions should be coming basically every day until the 24th.
Well that's gonna be nerve wracking! At that rate methinks this thread will double before Christmas! :D Thanks for the info.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:40 am

danidancer wrote:
Chrysander wrote:I spoke with admissions on Thursday and they said that decisions should be coming basically every day until the 24th.
Well that's gonna be nerve wracking! At that rate methinks this thread will double before Christmas! :D Thanks for the info.
aaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw aaaaaaw

time to start panicking

CORNELL PLEASE ACCEPT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! AAAAW

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 am

SanBun wrote:
danidancer wrote:

time to start panicking

+1

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:52 am

danidancer wrote:
SanBun wrote:
danidancer wrote:

time to start panicking

+1
+2

Legacy316

Bronze

Post by Legacy316 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am

The should e-mail out all of their rejections on Christmas.

With the subject line: Merry Christmas from Cornell!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:16 am

Legacy316 wrote:The should e-mail out all of their rejections on Christmas.

With the subject line: Merry Christmas from Cornell!
I will still be laughing about this on Christmas, even if I happen to get such an email. :lol:

PS: Pre FTW!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acecrusher06

Bronze

Post by acecrusher06 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:24 am

did anyone else get DR in the last two days?

acecrusher06

Bronze

Post by acecrusher06 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:41 am

how cruel to see the status updated on the weekend and have to wait until monday morning to call....

does anyone know what time their office is open?

boss

New

Post by boss » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:44 am

acecrusher06 wrote:how cruel to see the status updated on the weekend and have to wait until monday morning to call....

does anyone know what time their office is open?
What are your stats and what is the decision dated?

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 am

hiro86 wrote:write a 500 word essay advising a student entering undergrad on how they should decide on a major.
Seriously? That's the topic? I didn't know we were applying to be high school guidance counselors...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”