Cornell waiting room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CyLaw

Gold

Re: Cornell waiting room

Post by CyLaw » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:49 am

Remember when this thread was all about Cornell love?

Edit: Looks like the very scary picture that prompted this post disappeared.

waiting4law

New

Post by waiting4law » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 am

js87 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
js87 wrote:Time for another Cornell campus photo for good luck. Still EA complete 10/28 over here. Best of luck to everyone expecting a letter this week.

no no no no, the last thing we need are pretty pictures of a law school we might not be getting into
It's an offering to the law deities!!
Don't worry, you won't be coming close to this part of the campus if you are in law school, unless you want to eat in the Temple of Zeus or have an odd hankering to take a humanities class.

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:06 am

Joining in the madness - still at EA Complete with exact median stats. Good luck everyone!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 am

This and the G-town thread are making me want to cry....

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 am

Oli wrote:This and the G-town thread are making me want to cry....
At least the Berkeley thread settled down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:43 am

CyLaw wrote:
Oli wrote:This and the G-town thread are making me want to cry....
At least the Berkeley thread settled down.
Berkeley has been accepting some encouraging numbers for those of us who don't measure up to their GPA yardstick :P But I assume you're talking about the murderous guillotine posts a couple of days ago haha

march319

New

Post by march319 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:50 am

js87 wrote:Time for another Cornell campus photo for good luck. Still EA complete 10/28 over here. Best of luck to everyone expecting a letter this week.

What makes you say decisions are supposed to come out this week? Also, are these decisions expected to come by snail mail or through the status checker (slash email)?

Has anyone been accepted yet?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:02 am

CyLaw wrote: Interesting, very interesting. I am assuming you answered the 3 line Why Cornell Question right?

I think I need to go reread my Vanderbilt acceptance letter to relax my worries.
I did answer the Why Cornell question, with a full 2 paragraph/1 page attachment. Maybe that made them skeptical, I don't know.

Perhaps it's because I did not have anyone who particularly inspired me to apply to Cornell.

I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed about this one, but I'm not sure I ever would have attended (given the acceptances I have already). At this point, I'm up in the air about whether or not I will keep myself in the review pool.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:07 am

oneforship wrote:
CyLaw wrote: Interesting, very interesting. I am assuming you answered the 3 line Why Cornell Question right?

I think I need to go reread my Vanderbilt acceptance letter to relax my worries.
I did answer the Why Cornell question, with a full 2 paragraph/1 page attachment. Maybe that made them skeptical, I don't know.

Perhaps it's because I did not have anyone who particularly inspired me to apply to Cornell.

I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed about this one, but I'm not sure I ever would have attended (given the acceptances I have already). At this point, I'm up in the air about whether or not I will keep myself in the review pool.
Hmmm.. you just said a mouthful. I wonder if they get deep enough into things to see someone who is from VA and say that one will probably get into/choose UVA, so let's defer him and see if he actually writes a LOCI first?

Just a thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

strandm2

New

Post by strandm2 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:13 am

To throw my two cents in, I'm EA Complete (11/11) with 165, 170, 3.9 gpa. I wrote a blurb regarding Why Cornell, nothing of any major significance.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Bronze

Post by John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:27 am

Oli wrote:Just watched the episode of "The Office" yesterday where Dwight applies to Cornell wears the Cornell sweater to piss off Andy...made me want to hear from these guys :P
I just saw my (Colgate alum) friend tonight in a Big Red colored shirt and made fun of him to the tune of this episode.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:25 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:
Oli wrote:Just watched the episode of "The Office" yesterday where Dwight applies to Cornell wears the Cornell sweater to piss off Andy...made me want to hear from these guys :P
I just saw my (Colgate alum) friend tonight in a Big Red colored shirt and made fun of him to the tune of this episode.
hahaha sweet

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:45 am

Rurik wrote:Could we get a list of the stats of the people so far who have been deferred for this cycle?

168/3.55
167/3.7
175/3.16
163/2.9 URM
The trend that seems apparent is the paring down of applicants to who the individual is rather than simply the numbers. All the numbers (so far) that have been deferred are pretty even in comparison, so Cornell seems to be saying, "we can't accept all of you." In short, there are many applicants with similar numbers that can garner admission to many law school, so why Cornell?

The answer may lie within what each of us said about "Why Cornell," and our PS. Come on, we have to remember, there are only 200 seats available. I'm sure there are at least 4k apps, maybe half that to date.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:46 am

Hey folks -- been following along, but thought I'd go ahead and increase the size of the data pool here.

Decision 11/24, numbers (166/3.7, HYP, 2 yrs out, no URM) are a small split but a little above average for those who have attended Cornell from my alma mater in the past couple of years. I doubt they viewed my application as one that would get me a lot of T14 options (already been rejected ED at another) -- at least not enough to test my "commitment" by deferring me -- but who knows. Then again, my "why Cornell" was cliche at best (figured they didn't expect a masterpiece in three lines), and my PS was not Cornell-specific. Did mention a specific person as a reason for applying, but I doubt that matters.

That said, I'm fully expecting a deferral based on the current breakdown of people on LSN who listed an 11/24 decision. Good luck to those awaiting the mail, and if you're stressed out, the football starts in a matter of hours!

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:19 am

So those who got DR 11/20 are mainly deferrals?

11/24- I still think the next batch will have acceptances along with deferrals. If they YP me (URM) PM me for stats, I will be sooooooo sad. I wrote an awesome why cornell essay tooo which would make it even sadder.

WTF cornell, why send deferrals before acceptances. it makes no sense.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:24 am

avacado111 wrote:So those who got DR 11/20 are mainly deferrals?

11/24- I still think the next batch will have acceptances along with deferrals. If they YP me (URM) PM me for stats, I will be sooooooo sad. I wrote an awesome why cornell essay tooo which would make it even sadder.

WTF cornell, why send deferrals before acceptances. it makes no sense.
I hope so too!! What I fail to understand however, is why schools who look to YP don't just make it mandatory to write a "Why X" essay! Why make us struggle with LOCIs and other gestures of affection?

The other thing that frustrates me is why a school with an EA process is so eager to send out deferrals. I thought the whole idea was to get a decision early. This way, those deferred will be considered even later than others who apply in December-January. Anyway this whole process is mind-boggling to say the least!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:17 am

So is 12/2 still the date for when acceptances start rolling out or are there other hypotheses now?
Last edited by Kiersten1985 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Faesha

New

Post by Faesha » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:19 am

I just spoke with a friend in CA who is a 173/3.8 and he got the decision response on 11/24 too. No way is the entire batch deferrals.

Edit: Though I am a 169/3.47 and I got the 11/24, so it's looking like I have a deferral coming my way :?

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:28 am

I just noticed that my decision was made 11/20. I have not gotten the mailing yet (but I'm not home right now). GPA at median, LSAT above 75th. I'll be pretty upset if I get deferred. On LSN, most of those with my LSAT were accepted (there were a few waitlists, with lower GPAs than mine, and one WL, rejected with same LSAT as mine, significantly lower GPA). So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. I really hope the envelope is there when I get home tomorrow.

beckstar

New

Post by beckstar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 am

so, do the LOCIs for deferrals work in the same way as those for the waitlist?

3.66, 166 deferred, got it in the mail yesterday, nyc.

i wrote 3 lines for cornell, but i thought my application was fit for Cornell - trilingual, strong interest in international perspectives, etc.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:33 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:So is 12/2 still the date for when acceptances start rolling out or are there other hypotheses now?
Where did this hypothesis come from?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:39 am

Last year's LSN, I think.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:41 am

philosoraptor wrote:Last year's LSN, I think.
no way 12/02 holds true this year. NO WAY!

It's 11/24. Acceptances are starting to roll. By the looks of it.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:48 am

Did the deferrals come in regular, small envelopes?

ilovelawapps

Bronze

Post by ilovelawapps » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 pm

hykang wrote:Did the deferrals come in regular, small envelopes?
Yea, it was actually a nicely written letter too lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”