michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Vincent Vega

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:52 pm

goreman wrote:Yeah, I would say my numbers were not auto-admit but good enough to get a fair look. I think my softs like SilverE2 mentioned are probably my biggest selling points in terms of setting me apart. I'm willing to PM more specifics if you want them.

Good luck to everybody out there.

Not necessary; my application's already in and none of that will matter. My numbers are just slightly worse than yours, and I'm expecting a long waitlist.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:05 pm

So, how long of a wait am I in for? Just got the status checker yesterday, and after reading through the thread it seems like decisions could take a week or two, or a very very long time. True?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:03 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:So, how long of a wait am I in for? Just got the status checker yesterday, and after reading through the thread it seems like decisions could take a week or two, or a very very long time. True?

True.

You could already be accepted, or you might not hear for months. :|

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:09 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:So, how long of a wait am I in for? Just got the status checker yesterday, and after reading through the thread it seems like decisions could take a week or two, or a very very long time. True?

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:49 pm

emrose wrote:

True.

You could already be accepted, or you might not hear for months. :|

You know what? I think I'm going to delete the Mich status checker from my bookmarks. I'll wait for the small rejection envelope/large acceptance packet.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Halibut6 wrote:My numbers are just slightly worse than yours, and I'm expecting a long waitlist.

Aw...don't be so hasty in concluding that, Halibut! ED decisions haven't yet started going out, so you may well find yourself getting a nice, large envelope from Michigan in a couple weeks. :)

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:09 pm

They received my application 11/05 and I haven't gotten a status checker yet.

I guess they were serious about that 3 week wait.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:They received my application 11/05 and I haven't gotten a status checker yet.

I guess they were serious about that 3 week wait.

Same here...and I submitted on 10/30. Expect another week at least.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Aeon wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:My numbers are just slightly worse than yours, and I'm expecting a long waitlist.

Aw...don't be so hasty in concluding that, Halibut! ED decisions haven't yet started going out, so you may well find yourself getting a nice, large envelope from Michigan in a couple weeks. :)

Ah, it's not a conclusion, just a prediction. I'm hopeful for ED acceptance, of course, but I think it's more realistic to expect being held to RD and being waitlisted. You never know, though.

tintin

Postby tintin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:26 pm

is there any point in checking my status on a sunday? do they even release decisions on the weekend?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:30 pm

tintin wrote:is there any point in checking my status on a sunday? do they even release decisions on the weekend?

Considering the fact that the updated date on the status checker doesn't change today, I'd say it's pretty pointless.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Visited Ann Arbor this weekend, decided if I don't go to Michigan I'm gonna killself. Missed ED deadline, numbers so far below their medians it's laughable, understand I'm crazy but I gotta do it. Tell me how fucked I am or offer words of encouragement about how some guy knows a guy who got in with shitty numbers ten years ago.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Visited Ann Arbor this weekend, decided if I don't go to Michigan I'm gonna killself. Missed ED deadline, numbers so far below their medians it's laughable, understand I'm crazy but I gotta do it. Tell me how fucked I am or offer words of encouragement about how some guy knows a guy who got in with shitty numbers ten years ago.

That is exactly why I don't visit schools until I'm already accepted. :(

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 pm

tarheel87 wrote:Visited Ann Arbor this weekend, decided if I don't go to Michigan I'm gonna killself. Missed ED deadline, numbers so far below their medians it's laughable, understand I'm crazy but I gotta do it. Tell me how fucked I am or offer words of encouragement about how some guy knows a guy who got in with shitty numbers ten years ago.

Better hurry up on that cure for cancer....

I really can sympathize, but I think you just have to let the thought of attending Michigan (at least for your 1L) go, unless you have some absolutely incredible softs or URM status you're not telling us about.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm another North Carolina man looking at Michigan. It doesn't look pretty for you, but you've got a prayer. Michigan can be a bit of a numbers fan, but looking at LSN it is clear that softs give some candidates a pretty big boost in admissions. If yours are up to par, I might be seeing you in Ann Arbor in the fall.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I don't know anybody, but I wish you luck! :D

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:46 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:

That is exactly why I don't visit schools until I'm already accepted. :(

Same. I've visited a couple, but only because I was in town anyway.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:56 pm

ED would have led to a rejection. At least now you might have the added motivation to retake the LSAT and get the 170 needed to have a realistic shot. :D

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 pm

I hope I get in before I hear back from Chicago. That would make the Chicago rejection/hold sting a bit less.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:02 am

rondemarino wrote:

ED would have led to a rejection. At least now you might have the added motivation to retake the LSAT and get the 170 needed to have a realistic shot. :D

Michigan defers people from ED, but doesn't reject them. A deferred ED will join the RD applicant pool.

tarheel87

Postby tarheel87 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 am

Thanks for your quick comments and support everyone. I had convinced myself it wasn't worth applying to but too many people told me that "there's always a chance" (one of whom was a relative who attended UM med school with numbers he didn't think would cut it!) so what the hell, why not throw it in there. I can think of worse ways to spend $60 than to say I gave it a shot. If anyone thinks they could lend me a hand at my optional essays I'll be working on them this week while I'm on Thanksgiving break and Lord knows I'd appreciate it. Good luck yall, I'll be working on a cure for cancer.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am

so i just got a call on my cell phone from an unknown number and googled the area code - it's a michigan area code. i am about 99% sure it's a telemarketer or something, but of course my phone has chosen this exact moment to freeze up and tell me it's in standby mode so i can't retrieve the voicemail. eff you, blackberry.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:45 am

gahthelaw wrote:so i just got a call on my cell phone from an unknown number and googled the area code - it's a michigan area code.

Was it a 734 area code?

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

gahthelaw wrote:so i just got a call on my cell phone from an unknown number and googled the area code - it's a michigan area code. i am about 99% sure it's a telemarketer or something, but of course my phone has chosen this exact moment to freeze up and tell me it's in standby mode so i can't retrieve the voicemail. eff you, blackberry.

Gah! Keep us posted.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:47 am

Aeon wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:so i just got a call on my cell phone from an unknown number and googled the area code - it's a michigan area code.

Was it a 734 area code?

no - 269. can i stop trying to get my phone to turn back on and calm down? telemarketer? some other random unsettling occurance?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”