michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Aeon wrote:
stratocophic wrote:+1 If small, private schools' undergrad admissions can get through 25k apps and pick 1600 without the use of rolling admissions, I don't see why law schools are unable to get through 10k apps and pick 1,000 without it. Granted I'm a splitter, but this cycle seems to have been ridiculous for lots of people.

I suspect that this is the case because the top law schools can afford to do so. People tend to pick higher-ranked schools above those that are ranked lower. Thus, there is a downward-wave effect as you move down the rankings: as individuals accept offers at the top schools, they free up spaces at the lower-ranked schools. If you are in charge of admissions at a lower-ranked school, it is to your school's advantage to not have rolling admissions, because you are likely to see greater perambulations in your candidate pool as some accept offers at higher-ranked schools and others accept greater scholarship offers from schools ranked lower than yours.

Also, rolling admissions has the side-effect of allowing schools to more effectively gauge the relative interest of applicants. Someone who submits an application within the first week that it is available is likely to be more interested in the school or is at least a highly-motivated individual. Regardless, chances are that the school would like to capture as many of these applicants as they can, assuming that these applicants meet the school's baseline requirements (such as with GPA/LSAT, not having a history of offenses, etc.). In this way, applying early in a cycle is like having a decent soft factor.


In my opinion it means that they are hold overs from last cycle, or took the LSAT in June. Nothing more.

justbluemyself
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby justbluemyself » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone going to look at campus on the night of the 19th? I was planning on Couchsurfing, but neither of the ones near campus panned out. I'm cheap and would rather split a hotel room.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby RhubarbPie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 am

I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the first seat deposit online? Or do we need to snail mail that form back to them (if we have to do that, I'm guessing it has to get there by April 31, not be postmarked by April 31)?

Heather85
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Heather85 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 am

hykang wrote:I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the first seat deposit online? Or do we need to snail mail that form back to them (if we have to do that, I'm guessing it has to get there by April 31, not be postmarked by April 31)?



I don't know of an online option. But I'm thinking it can be postmarked April 30. Doesn't the form say you can mail it to them before or on April 30? Don't have it in front of me but I think that's it.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

I think postmarked would work. If nothing else, if you mail it on the 30th, you can send them a head's up email that you sent it, so they're aware...

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:40 pm

hykang wrote:I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the first seat deposit online? Or do we need to snail mail that form back to them (if we have to do that, I'm guessing it has to get there by April 31, not be postmarked by April 31)?


I agree with starstruck and heather, but just to be safe, you might want to ask admissions themselves. In my experience, they don't bite. :wink:

User avatar
big_blue79
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby big_blue79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Withdrawn today. Good luck, I hope my acceptance (and money) goes to someone deserving!

User avatar
Stardust
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Stardust » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Withdrawn today. Good luck, I hope my acceptance (and money) goes to someone deserving!


Good luck in your future endeavors

Stardust wrote:Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.


Stardust we'd love to have you join us. Have you visited already? If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with an admissions representative while you're there; I think that will help considerably.

User avatar
Stardust
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Stardust » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Stardust wrote:Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.


Stardust we'd love to have you join us. Have you visited already? If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with an admissions representative while you're there; I think that will help considerably.


I'm tentatively planning to visit sometime (with the intent of meeting with someone on the admissions committee) during the week of May 17th after I graduate - it's tough because most of my traveling time/finances are currently being put towards trying to find a place to live near the law school I'm scheduled to attend in the fall if I don't get off Michigan's waitlist. Gonna be a stressful summer, that's for sure, but I'm going to do all that I can and hope for the best.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am

Stardust wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
Stardust wrote:Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.


Stardust we'd love to have you join us. Have you visited already? If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with an admissions representative while you're there; I think that will help considerably.


I'm tentatively planning to visit sometime (with the intent of meeting with someone on the admissions committee) during the week of May 17th after I graduate - it's tough because most of my traveling time/finances are currently being put towards trying to find a place to live near the law school I'm scheduled to attend in the fall if I don't get off Michigan's waitlist. Gonna be a stressful summer, that's for sure, but I'm going to do all that I can and hope for the best.


If and when you get a firm date, call them up and get an appointment with one of the adcomms. Dean Z might not be available, but one of the assistants, like Liz Seger, would work as well. Be sure to continue to stay in contact. Any updates you can give can be worked into additional LOCI's.

I was in your position last year, so I know how it feels, and would be happy to help in any way I can...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!

amolson04
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:03 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby amolson04 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!


oh no! what happened? i have seen you in a lot of different threads and have been rooting for you :(

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:59 pm

amolson04 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!


oh no! what happened? i have seen you in a lot of different threads and have been rooting for you :(


We came into a custody problem so we can't just up and move to LS. I thought we could work it out but someone is being a jerk about it, so we will have to go to court. I don't even know what schools I can apply to in the fall if we don't work it out. I guess I have to put Penn back on the map because it's right here. I don't know if I can actually commute to NYC for 3 years. Sighhhh. Oh well. Just don't make me go to Temple/Villanova! I hope it works out :? .

nuss3
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby nuss3 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

that blows r6, i've been pulling for you as well! i hope it all works out for you.

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!


oh no! what happened? i have seen you in a lot of different threads and have been rooting for you :(


We came into a custody problem so we can't just up and move to LS. I thought we could work it out but someone is being a jerk about it, so we will have to go to court. I don't even know what schools I can apply to in the fall if we don't work it out. I guess I have to put Penn back on the map because it's right here. I don't know if I can actually commute to NYC for 3 years. Sighhhh. Oh well. Just don't make me go to Temple/Villanova! I hope it works out :? .


Good luck philly!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks all! I am going to work on my masters and we have to go to court. I will probably still reapply but now I don't even know where. I would consider weekly commuting during the school year but that make everything impossible except H/Y/C/N/P/G, and I would take Michigan over everything but HY. This really blows, it takes out my realistic first choice for the time being, but I will work with what I got :| .

Fergie
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Fergie » Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 am

heres hoping for some waitlist movement post seat deposits!!!

User avatar
Stardust
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Stardust » Sun May 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Fergie wrote:heres hoping for some waitlist movement post seat deposits!!!


+1 :)

tamlyric
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby tamlyric » Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Good luck to all those playing the waiting game! :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby r6_philly » Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 am

tamlyric wrote:Good luck to all those playing the waiting game! :D


+1! I hope there are lots of spots to fill for you guys.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Emma. » Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Withdrew today. :cry:

Turning down the Darrow must be one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. In the end though I needed to think about my SO's happiness and when I have a couple other awesome options, it wasn't fair to choose the place she'd be the least happy.

Hope this frees up a seat and some aid money for someone still waiting here.

100Kworthit?
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:40 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 100Kworthit? » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

withdrew w/ $$ ~ goodluck!

User avatar
weee
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby weee » Wed May 05, 2010 3:51 am

I will be withdrawing in a couple days with $ as well.

Edit: Just did the deed, hope a TLSer gets the spot soon.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod, Baidu [Spider], bellaboo, BodieBroadus, carlos_danger, Ferrisjso, jprath2, Kopetz, NotAGolfer, potterotter, sec_undergrad, StopLawying, ThorB and 43 guests