michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hey-O

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Hey-O » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

z*z wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
chunge88830 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Yay! Got my acceptance yesterday! :)

Everyone gets it, but that does not mean you shouldn't feel special!

:D

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

anyone remember how long it takes from the "app received" email to the "app complete" email? i got the former on 2/18 but haven't heard from UM since... i know they say it takes 3-4 weeks but i guess i was being optimistic thinking it would be a little shorter than that?

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 am

existenz wrote:$67.5k Dean's scholly in the mail! I'm in total shock!

It still lists me as having "No awards" on the Admitted Students site, so this was truly a surprise.

:| :shock: :) :D

HOTT! Congrats. Hoping that means more good scholly news on the way . . .

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:05 am

roundabout wrote:

It still lists me as having "No awards" on the Admitted Students site, so this was truly a surprise.

HOOT! Congrats. Hoping that means more good scholly news on the way . . .

FTFY
\tar

Mardou

Postby Mardou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:06 pm

lawschoollll wrote:anyone remember how long it takes from the "app received" email to the "app complete" email? i got the former on 2/18 but haven't heard from UM since... i know they say it takes 3-4 weeks but i guess i was being optimistic thinking it would be a little shorter than that?

I received my "app received" email on 2/19 and have not heard anything since either.

roger8219

Postby roger8219 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:31 pm

maybe nobody will know the answer to this question, but i'll pose it anyways: if i haven't heard from michigan by now, does that mean getting into the summer term is pretty much not an option any longer? in other words, have they filled that portion of the class already?

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Complete on 1/15. Want to hear back! Gah!

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:34 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:
roundabout wrote:

HOOT! Congrats. Hoping that means more good scholly news on the way . . .

FTFY
\tar

nice.

roger8219 wrote:maybe nobody will know the answer to this question, but i'll pose it anyways: if i haven't heard from michigan by now, does that mean getting into the summer term is pretty much not an option any longer? in other words, have they filled that portion of the class already?

elsewhere on this board, people were talking about those with summer offers being encouraged to consider fall start- so it sounds like it is pretty full.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

roger8219 wrote:maybe nobody will know the answer to this question, but i'll pose it anyways: if i haven't heard from michigan by now, does that mean getting into the summer term is pretty much not an option any longer? in other words, have they filled that portion of the class already?

It doesn't look good, but it doesn't mean that door is necessarily closed. When did you apply, btw? If you've been waiting longer than a month or two, then I'd say your chances are getting pretty slim, just by the fact that you've been passed over so much already; but if it hasn't been that long, they simply may not have gotten a good look at you yet. One thing definitely in your favor is that you haven't been WL/rejected yet, unlike others. There must be something that caught their eye.

Summer is their first priority to fill (since it starts so early, and it's undesirable or even impossible for many applicants). If they don't have their numbers yet, or some drop from the section come the deposit time, they'll need people to fill those seats, and the first priority will be those who requested consideration for the summer. So, it might come down to the wire, but I still think you have reason to hop

roger8219

Postby roger8219 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:03 pm

starstruck393 wrote:

It doesn't look good, but it doesn't mean that door is necessarily closed. When did you apply, btw? If you've been waiting longer than a month or two, then I'd say your chances are getting pretty slim, just by the fact that you've been passed over so much already; but if it hasn't been that long, they simply may not have gotten a good look at you yet. One thing definitely in your favor is that you haven't been WL/rejected yet, unlike others. There must be something that caught their eye.

Summer is their first priority to fill (since it starts so early, and it's undesirable or even impossible for many applicants). If they don't have their numbers yet, or some drop from the section come the deposit time, they'll need people to fill those seats, and the first priority will be those who requested consideration for the summer. So, it might come down to the wire, but I still think you have reason to hop

I applied in late December, but I took the February LSAT (my third LSAT) and went from a 166,167 to a 172. I'm hoping they were waiting to see the score-- and that they liked it.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:20 pm

roger8219 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

I applied in late December, but I took the February LSAT (my third LSAT) and went from a 166,167 to a 172. I'm hoping they were waiting to see the score-- and that they liked it.

Oh, well in effect then, it was like you only recently applied. They'll hold off typically to see how the retake goes.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:21 pm

roundabout wrote:
elsewhere on this board, people were talking about those with summer offers being encouraged to consider fall start- so it sounds like it is pretty full.

I must have missed this. Yeah, I guess it must be looking full, then. That's odd. Usually it would be the other way around...

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Alright so tomorrow it will have been a month since I sumitted my app with no communication from UM except for the "app received" email... when is it legit to email them politely? I mean, know I'm late with the app, but I submitted in early Feb to a lot of schools, and I'm complete at almost all of them and have even heard back from a few...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:08 pm

lawschoollll wrote:Alright so tomorrow it will have been a month since I sumitted my app with no communication from UM except for the "app received" email... when is it legit to email them politely? I mean, know I'm late with the app, but I submitted in early Feb to a lot of schools, and I'm complete at almost all of them and have even heard back from a few...

I emailed Friday and got a reply yesterday.

"Thank you for applying to Michigan Law, and thank you for your patience! We sincerely apologize--usually it takes only about 3 weeks for an application file to reach the point in the process where the status check will display correct information, but we're receiving more applications this year so far than in a typical year, and it's taking us a bit longer than we hoped. I am happy to report that your application file is now complete. If you haven't received the status check email from us by the end of next week, please contact me again. We're sorry for the delay and for any extra stress it has caused you!"

So I am complete but still don't have status checker access. I think you are ok.

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:Alright so tomorrow it will have been a month since I sumitted my app with no communication from UM except for the "app received" email... when is it legit to email them politely? I mean, know I'm late with the app, but I submitted in early Feb to a lot of schools, and I'm complete at almost all of them and have even heard back from a few...

"Thank you for applying to Michigan Law, and thank you for your patience! We sincerely apologize--usually it takes only about 3 weeks for an application file to reach the point in the process where the status check will display correct information, but we're receiving more applications this year so far than in a typical year, and it's taking us a bit longer than we hoped. I am happy to report that your application file is now complete. If you haven't received the status check email from us by the end of next week, please contact me again. We're sorry for the delay and for any extra stress it has caused you!"

So I am complete but still don't have status checker access. I think you are ok.

Thanks R6. I think I'm going to try the old "guess random combinations of letters and numbers" route to see if I can hack into my status checker.

chi16

Postby chi16 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:27 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Thanks R6. I think I'm going to try the old "guess random combinations of letters and numbers" route to see if I can hack into my status checker.

My application was received at the end of January, and I did not receive my status checker until almost a month later (over 4 weeks). Once my application was complete, I received my decision within 2 weeks (well, to be fair, I preempted my decision by trying to log onto the admitted student site with the provided ID number and DOB).

So if my case is consistent with most you should be hearing soon. Good luck guessing your ID though...it's an 8-digit number, and I can't figure out for the life of me how it is generated. The first two digits happen to correspond to my birthday (month/day), but that's all I got!

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Just got WL by Virginia and morale is down. Hoping Michigan gives me some good news in the next week or two...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Got my status checker info today. So maybe emailing to inquire does help nudge the file a little. Actually I don't get the point of the status checker because they won't update it until probably after I get the mail. So back to watching the mail box. :)

primusux

Postby primusux » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:37 pm

I haven't followed this thread at all, but, I did apply to Michigan as an ultimate reach. (would take a miracle)

Quick question though, on the status checker does the "Last Updated" update nightly or does it stay one date until they actually do something to your app?
Never paid much attention to it given the hail mary status but noticed it tonight with today's date. Thx

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 pm

primusux wrote:I haven't followed this thread at all, but, I did apply to Michigan as an ultimate reach. (would take a miracle)

Quick question though, on the status checker does the "Last Updated" update nightly or does it stay one date until they actually do something to your app?
Never paid much attention to it given the hail mary status but noticed it tonight with today's date. Thx

It changes everyday (with sometimes a stall or two over the weekend).

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 pm

publiuspublicola wrote:
primusux wrote:I haven't followed this thread at all, but, I did apply to Michigan as an ultimate reach. (would take a miracle)

It changes everyday (with sometimes a stall or two over the weekend).

If you ask me, it's a pretty clever way for them to preempt all the complaining about Admissions sitting on our applications, no movement in ages, etc. I'm pretty sure the dates changing don't actually mean they did something with our apps.

jjons101

Postby jjons101 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:50 pm

In with $15k/yr Dean's. 169/3.74, non-URM, 2 years' WE. No great softs. My numbers seem insignificantly different from those of lot of people who got rejected, and actually low for a merit scholarship. Weird. I wish I knew what really goes on in the adcomms

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 pm

jjons101 wrote:In with $15k/yr Dean's. 169/3.74, non-URM, 2 years' WE. No great softs. My numbers seem insignificantly different from those of lot of people who got rejected, and actually low for a merit scholarship. Weird. I wish I knew what really goes on in the adcomms

Actually your numbers are very similar to those getting the $45k scholly. I've heard Michigan determines the Dean's scholarships by plugging in the LSAT and GPA. If you look at LSN, that's pretty much how it looks.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 pm

My app has been pending since the beginning of November. Has anyone else been waiting this long? I really want to get in and I've communicated with them a fair bit throughout the process and yet here I still am waiting...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:My app has been pending since the beginning of November. Has anyone else been waiting this long? I really want to get in and I've communicated with them a fair bit throughout the process and yet here I still am waiting...

pending or complete? My report was just sent 2 weeks ago and I am complete (submitted first week of feb, been waiting on report). If you are not complete I'd say something is not right.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”