michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Core » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:27 pm

emrose wrote:
Core wrote:Sorry if this was asked earlier, but can anyone link me to Michigan's loan repayment/forgiveness program for those who go into PI? I can't find it anywhere on their web site.

I don't have the link, but my understanding is that Mich's program is based solely on income. You don't have to be in PI to benefit.

Oh, ok. Do you know the cap and such? I'll keep poking around the web site.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 am

Core wrote:
emrose wrote:
Core wrote:Sorry if this was asked earlier, but can anyone link me to Michigan's loan repayment/forgiveness program for those who go into PI? I can't find it anywhere on their web site.

I don't have the link, but my understanding is that Mich's program is based solely on income. You don't have to be in PI to benefit.

Oh, ok. Do you know the cap and such? I'll keep poking around the web site.

Check this out!:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62094

lawschoollll

Postby lawschoollll » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 am

anyone know how long it takes to get the status checker email?

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:55 pm

lawschoollll wrote:anyone know how long it takes to get the status checker email?

Took me a little over a month.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Shlonster wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:anyone know how long it takes to get the status checker email?

Took me a little over a month.

+1

I think they generally take 3-4 weeks, and are only issued on Wednesdays.

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:45 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
goblue1646 wrote:Hey question--I read on their AS website that they 'recommend PCs over Macs' if students want to take exams on laptops. I have a pretty new Macbook Pro :/ Does anyone know whether people use Apple laptops at Michigan for exams?

I visited and sat in on a class. More Macbooks in the classroom than PC's. Sort of doubt that people had a separate PC just to take exams with.

Oh, how did the visit go, Helm?

It's been a few months ago, but it went really, really well. Certainly sold me on the school.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:32 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

It's been a few months ago, but it went really, really well. Certainly sold me on the school.

Oh good, now you don't have to make all of those difficult decisions between law schools. Phew!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 am

calicocat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Oh good, now you don't have to make all of those difficult decisions between law schools. Phew!

this week? :|

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 am

calicocat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

DIAF, $27k from WUSTL is A LOT OF MONEY!!!1!

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:34 am

Helmholtz wrote:
calicocat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

DIAF, $27k from WUSTL is A LOT OF MONEY!!!1!

inoright

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:56 am

Veritas wrote:this week? :|

I dunno Veri, but I sure as hell hope so.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:26 am

calicocat wrote:

cc and veri, i want you guys to get into michigan almost as bad as i wanna get into berkeley

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 am

los blancos wrote:
calicocat wrote:

cc and veri, i want you guys to get into michigan almost as bad as i wanna get into berkeley

<3 u

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 am

It looks like need aid packages are going to start coming out this week. After reading through some of last years' threads I'm terrified to the core. I really want to go to Michigan but if I don't get any significant aid it's pretty much a done deal... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Core

Postby Core » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:38 am

def2104 wrote:It looks like need aid packages are going to start coming out this week. After reading through some of last years' threads I'm terrified to the core. I really want to go to Michigan but if I don't get any significant aid it's pretty much a done deal... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Do you know if those receiving merit aid can also receive need-based aid?

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Core wrote:
def2104 wrote:It looks like need aid packages are going to start coming out this week. After reading through some of last years' threads I'm terrified to the core. I really want to go to Michigan but if I don't get any significant aid it's pretty much a done deal... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm pretty sure yes--my question is, for the stafford loan, all we had to do was fill in FAFSA and have it sent to Michigan, right? there wasn't a separate application or anything?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:27 pm

goblue1646 wrote:
Core wrote:

I'm pretty sure yes--my question is, for the stafford loan, all we had to do was fill in FAFSA and have it sent to Michigan, right? there wasn't a separate application or anything?

First - Many of Michigan's merit scholarships state that if you accept it you are ineligible for need aid. There is a cutoff though and if yours didn't say anything you're probably fine. I think I saw somewhere on here it's 15k+ per year that disqualifies you.

Second - You need to fill out FAFSA, the need access form, and their form on the website. hth!

Core

Postby Core » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:30 pm

def2104 wrote:
goblue1646 wrote:
Core wrote:

First - Many of Michigan's merit scholarships state that if you accept it you are ineligible for need aid. There is a cutoff though and if yours didn't say anything you're probably fine. I think I saw somewhere on here it's 15k+ per year that disqualifies you.

Second - You need to fill out FAFSA, the need access form, and their form on the website. hth!

Thanks!

bees

Postby bees » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 pm

def2104 wrote:Second - You need to fill out FAFSA, the need access form, and their form on the website. hth!

Can someone link to the need access form and the additional form? I looked at the financial aid section a few times and never found any steps/requirements between submitting your FAFSA and waiting to hear back from them.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:07 pm

bees wrote:
def2104 wrote:Second - You need to fill out FAFSA, the need access form, and their form on the website. hth!

Can someone link to the need access form and the additional form? I looked at the financial aid section a few times and never found any steps/requirements between submitting your FAFSA and waiting to hear back from them.

I dont remember Michigan using need access when I filled out the form.

existenz

Postby existenz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I dont remember Michigan using need access when I filled out the form.

Maybe you missed it. They are one of the Need Access participants:

http://www.needaccess.org/participating-schools.htm

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

existenz wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I dont remember Michigan using need access when I filled out the form.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I didn't care enough to check the website before posting.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:28 pm

existenz wrote:

EDIT: maybe a silly question, but after looking over the needaccess website I'm wondering if we still have to fill this out if we plan on financing our education completely thru loans instead of asking the school for need based aid?

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:04 am

bees wrote:
existenz wrote:

EDIT: maybe a silly question, but after looking over the needaccess website I'm wondering if we still have to fill this out if we plan on financing our education completely thru loans instead of asking the school for need based aid?

Probably not, but it can't hurt to call them and ask, or just fill it out. Maybe you'll be surprised and get some kind of merit aid. It only took about a half hour or less.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”