michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AngryAvocado

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby AngryAvocado » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:30 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Great, Dean Z couldn't let me boost my ego by attributing my snub to YP. Now I have to deal with the posibility that I lack 'zing,' or perhaps that I showed interest in international law while the school admits they don't have anything to offer me in that department. Maybe another explaination is that they saw my posts here and decided not to accept me because of it. It's interesting to see the degree that Michigan monitors forums like this on a regular basis.

Uh, I really didn't get "them monitoring forums on a regular basis" out of that blog entry.

Yea, I didnt either. But it does seem to me like some of this is just BS. Michigan blatantly YPs and its clear to see. I am not saying my waitlist was a YP, but there are other members on this forum that I think Michigan clearly YPd. To deny it at all is just BS

She didn't really deny it as much as she basically said they practice it in a roundabout way. "Not fitting in" seems like code for it.

I mean, look at LSN. What makes all those 169s "fit in" and most of those 172s-173s not fit in? If the dispersion of yellow and green dots was a little more random, I'd be inclined to believe her. But it's pretty clear cut, and I don't really get how people can argue against it.

Ha, I just checked out LSN. Wow. I'm pretty sure my waitlisting wasn't solely YP, but I guess virtually everyone 169-170 with a 3.7 or above has a shitload of zing.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 pm

And I'm really not buying the whole "wouldn't be happy here" thing if you don't select a certain type of law you're interested in. First of all, I think we are all grown folks and we can see if we'd really be happy at a certain school studying a certain type of law. I don't think we need people looking out for us in that respect. Also, many of us will change the type of law we want to practice or we are undecided.

I think it is placing too much emphasis on the wrong factors. It's kind of like how people seem scared to admit they want to do PI work on their Columbia app.

I'm not trying to trash Michigan at all, I think it is a fantastic school and I am sad that I am waitlisted. I just don't necessarily agree with a certain practice that they may or may not be using.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:51 pm

los blancos wrote:
calicocat wrote:Still 2/27, still complete, still stressed to the point of tears

same

yep :?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
itsirtou wrote:
los blancos wrote:
calicocat wrote:Still 2/27, still complete, still stressed to the point of tears

same

yep :?

Are you not decided on UMN after that insane scholarship they gave you?

I have no idea! that is an enormous amount of money, but I can't decide if it's worth it when the opportunities would increase so dramatically by going to a t10 school. (but how do you turn down 180k?? great googly moogly)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:38 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I guess virtually everyone 169-170 with a 3.7 or above has a shitload of zing.

Except me; I lack zing. If only I had robbed a bank like the guy Michigan is trying to woo in prison. Now THATS some zing!

Barbie_Head

Postby Barbie_Head » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:I guess virtually everyone 169-170 with a 3.7 or above has a shitload of zing.

Except me; I lack zing. If only I had robbed a bank like the guy Michigan is trying to woo in prison. Now THATS some zing!

Well, what you lack in zing you certainly make up for with a sense of humor. That was pretty funny. :lol:

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:17 pm

why thank you

existenz

Postby existenz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

These application threads start out full of optimism and braggadocio, but by the later stages they become cesspools of despair, confusion and blind fury. So sad, so inevitable.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm

anyone want to trade me some zing in exchange for 5 of my LSAT points? i need to get off this waitlist somehow

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:anyone want to trade me some zing in exchange for 5 of my LSAT points? i need to get off this waitlist somehow

Lol.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:anyone want to trade me some zing in exchange for 5 of my LSAT points? i need to get off this waitlist somehow

Deal. I'd rather go to a school that would take me with a 174 sans zing.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Deal. I'd rather go to a school that would take me with a 174 sans zing.

maybe i have some of this "zing"

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

I don't think you need to trade 5 LSAT points for zing. I think you get zing merely by losing LSAT points.

Olive

Postby Olive » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am

Veritas wrote:maybe i have some of this "zing"

:D

Roseland

Postby Roseland » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:46 am

Dean Z only affirmed that they are indeed practicing YPing with her response. It appears that the "Michigan YP is disgusting" thread hit a sore spot and Michigan thought they needed to respond. Obviously, in this competitive arena, all the law schools have people posting promoting their schools on a regular basis. The team from Michigan ran to Dean Z and said, "The sky is falling...the sky is falling...someone said something bad about us on TLS! You must respond!" What a foolish move on her part. All it did in my mind is confirm that someone had accurately called them out.
I have been following this forum for 2 cycles. I am beginning to think there are very few actual applicants vs. parents and paid representatives from the law schools participating. For example, why in the world would a legit 1L or a 2L take the time to post something? Give me a break! Real students have lives and too much work to do to bother to take time to post on this forum AFTER they are in law school...unless of course they are paid to do so.
I have come to trust very little I read, besides the color and size of envelopes coming in the mail. Especially difficult to trust are comments, either for or against, any particular law school.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 am

Roseland wrote:Dean Z only affirmed that they are indeed practicing YPing with her response. It appears that the "Michigan YP is disgusting" thread hit a sore spot and Michigan thought they needed to respond. Obviously, in this competitive arena, all the law schools have people posting promoting their schools on a regular basis. The team from Michigan ran to Dean Z and said, "The sky is falling...the sky is falling...someone said something bad about us on TLS! You must respond!" What a foolish move on her part. All it did in my mind is confirm that someone had accurately called them out.
I have been following this forum for 2 cycles. I am beginning to think there are very few actual applicants vs. parents and paid representatives from the law schools participating. For example, why in the world would a legit 1L or a 2L take the time to post something? Give me a break! Real students have lives and too much work to do to bother to take time to post on this forum AFTER they are in law school...unless of course they are paid to do so.
I have come to trust very little I read, besides the color and size of envelopes coming in the mail. Especially difficult to trust are comments, either for or against, any particular law school.

Do you also believe that the Mossad was behind 9/11 and that we never landed on the moon?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 am

Some amazing pictures of Michigan Law:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jensenl/ ... m/lawquad/

Excited for my visit!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 am

los blancos wrote:
Roseland wrote:Dean Z only affirmed that they are indeed practicing YPing with her response. It appears that the "Michigan YP is disgusting" thread hit a sore spot and Michigan thought they needed to respond. Obviously, in this competitive arena, all the law schools have people posting promoting their schools on a regular basis. The team from Michigan ran to Dean Z and said, "The sky is falling...the sky is falling...someone said something bad about us on TLS! You must respond!" What a foolish move on her part. All it did in my mind is confirm that someone had accurately called them out.

Do you also believe that the Mossad was behind 9/11 and that we never landed on the moon?

Pft. Guv'mint was behind 9/11. Everyone knows that.

Why do 123Ls post? Obviously Rose has never experienced the joys of creating flames and extinguishing the flames of others.
Last edited by stratocophic on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 am

hah, clearly they made the right choice.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:51 am

tomhobbes wrote:

I don't think you need to trade 5 LSAT points for zing. I think you get zing merely by losing LSAT points.

ah, this is right. i didn't quite capture the right spirit with that first post. to amend:

anyone want to take 5 LSAT points off my hands? i could use some extra zing to get off this waitlist

cutiewiddlebebe

Postby cutiewiddlebebe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:08 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Some amazing pictures of Michigan Law:

Excited for my visit!

beautiful

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:Some amazing pictures of Michigan Law:

Excited for my visit!

beautiful

Confederates! Must be Mich plants!

timelovesahero

Postby timelovesahero » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm

I can log into their the admitted students while the status checker just says complete. Does that mean what I think it does?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”