michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by englawyer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm

i would suggest that everyone not panic or get upset. Michigan is playing a game with YP here for many folks and if you withdraw out of spite or whatever they win. If it is a school you are considering at all just ride the WL.

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Just got the WL e-mail, too. Pretty much the cap on my thus far shitty cycle. With a 3.75, 171:

Harvard - ding
Chicago - WL
Berkeley - ding
Penn - WL
Mich - WL
UVA - WL
Georgetown - In
Stanford - waiting for the ding
Duke - asked for my shitty fall grades a month ago. I was waiting for Michigan to turn them in. Somehow don't think that'll sit well.

I'm grateful for the GULC acceptance, but I thought I'd get at least one of MVP. It's hard to be excited when my choice is pretty much made for me. I really thought that my LOCI to Mich would put me over the top.

initech

Bronze

Post by initech » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

WL here. I was expecting it. This cycle has sucked. Probably not going to law school next year.

jackster2

New

Post by jackster2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

how do you get triple board certified/why?[quote][/quote]

Internal Medicine, Hematology, Oncology. Did stem cell research, ran a practice, etc. Was accepted at Mich, Penn, Va, Duke etc several years ago but couldn't get out of my work situation to attend. Now, this horseshit.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:50 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mh7777

New

Post by mh7777 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote:Just got the WL e-mail, too. Pretty much the cap on my thus far shitty cycle. With a 3.75, 171:

Harvard - ding
Chicago - WL
Berkeley - ding
Penn - WL
Mich - WL
UVA - WL
Georgetown - In
Duke - asked for my shitty fall grades a month ago. I was waiting for Michigan to turn them in. Somehow don't think that'll sit well.

I'm grateful for the GULC acceptance, but I thought I'd get at least one of MVP. It's hard to be excited when my choice is pretty much made for me. I really thought that my LOCI to Mich would put me over the top.
This is rough. Really, I feel sorry for you to have this cycle. I'm wondering is W/E is playing a larger factor than before, as my real numbers are a lot like yours, and I've had significantly better luck so far this cycle.
I have good work experience and very similar #'s, but my cycle hasn't been much different. I'm in at Duke, GULC, and a couple of others, but I either haven't heard from or have been waitlisted/dinged at the rest of those schools on his list.

jackster2

New

Post by jackster2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Just got the WL e-mail, too. Pretty much the cap on my thus far shitty cycle. With a 3.75, 171:

Harvard - ding
Chicago - WL
Berkeley - ding
Penn - WL
Mich - WL
UVA - WL
Georgetown - In

This is out of control. 5 years ago they would have thrown money at you. Always remember you can't keep someone with ability down. Just get out of law and go do an MBA and take your talents elsewhere.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote:Just got the WL e-mail, too. Pretty much the cap on my thus far shitty cycle. With a 3.75, 171:

Harvard - ding
Chicago - WL
Berkeley - ding
Penn - WL
Mich - WL
UVA - WL
Georgetown - In

This is rough. Really, I feel sorry for you to have this cycle. I'm wondering is W/E is playing a larger factor than before, as my real numbers are a lot like yours, and I've had significantly better luck so far this cycle.
I also wonder if TLS de-emphasizes undergrad institution too much. I feel like I'm a very standard applicant with merely the numbers and an Ivy for under, yet I've gotten into most of the schools that I've applied to. No work experience and no great softs at all. Oh well, just speculation..

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Waitlisted this morning. Don't really know why, but not interested in riding it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Just WL'ed. Really disappointed by this one. About the WE, I had 4+ years military.

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Here to chime in. WL for me, too. 170/4.1

A horrible way to wake up in the morning, I tell you.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huskrfn127

New

Post by Huskrfn127 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Harvard - ding
Chicago - WL
Berkeley - ding
Penn - WL
Mich - WL
UVA - WL
Georgetown - In

This perversely makes me feel a little better. I think I've been feeling more and more entitled for no good reason as the cycle has gone on, and I thus have been getting annoyed or angry at highly ranked schools that waitlist me. I realize my numbers are good, but not good enough for me to expect anything, and there are people with better stats who are getting the same treatment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I don't hold a grudge against Michigan; waitlisting me was the right decision for them, and it was probably pretty obvious that they weren't my top choice. I didn't write any of the supplemental essays. In fact, I even forgot to put Michigan on my list of schools applied to on my LSN account.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I don't hold a grudge against Michigan; waitlisting me was the right decision for them, and it was probably pretty obvious that they weren't my top choice. I didn't write any of the supplemental essays. In fact, I even forgot to put Michigan on my list of schools applied to on my LSN account.
Ha. I applied there about 3 weeks after I applied everywhere else, and completely forgot about it until I received this WL email.

Prime12

Bronze

Post by Prime12 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Waitlisted today. I'm actually surprised that my application wasn't outright laughed out of the office, considering my mediocre stats (169/3.15) and non-urm status.

I'm lost on what to do from now, I already sent a LOCI last month.....

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Michigan takes the cake for my first non-acceptance of the cylce (I'm not counting the Harvard hold as an actual decision). According to Class of 2012 numbers, I'm above both 75ths (171/4.0). As others have already said, I think this underscores the importance of the supplemental essays, especially the Why Michigan?, which I didn't write.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Michigan takes the cake for my first non-acceptance of the cylce (I'm not counting the Harvard hold as an actual decision). According to Class of 2012 numbers, I'm above both 75ths (171/4.0). As others have already said, I think this underscores the importance of the supplemental essays, especially the Why Michigan?, which I didn't write.
+1. They need to feel loved.

bostonian

Bronze

Post by bostonian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

WL too: 176/3.28 splitter, 3 years out of college, wrote a Why UMich with my initial app in October, an additional LOR upon receiving the "We don't need to get back to you right now" email, and a brief LOCI by snail mail a couple weeks ago.

The thing is, I'm actually happy. Now I don't have to think about it anymore and constantly check my UMich status checker, plus I can go skiing the weekend of the ASW.

Edit: And it makes my decision a little easier by narrowing down my options by 1.
Last edited by bostonian on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Wled, 175/3.16. Wrote Why Mich.

JRMjr

Bronze

Post by JRMjr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm

To all the people on here who are mad at your apps taking so long, you should probably be mad at the clowns that waste the time of the Admissions Office staff by saying things like "I applied and forgot I even applied! ROFLOL"

Such stupidity.... why apply if its not worth your time? Thats like being accepted to a place, visiting, knowing you wont go, and not withdrawing from the waitlist (which prevents another eager person from getting their prized acceptance.)

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 pm

anyone rejected who received the hold email?

strokes788

New

Post by strokes788 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Waitlisted via email just now

3.62, 172

I guess Michigan's new requirement this year is if your LSAT is over 170 and you're not a super splitter, lets yield protect the s*** out of you. Thought I had a shot at maybe some money if accepted, was one of my top choices. Guess a LOCI is in my near future.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm

WL for me here. Above median GPA and below 25th LSAT so I guess I take this as a good sign. It seems I'm certainly in good company with you people who have much higher numbers. I wrote a Why Mich Essay btw. That email was somewhat confusing at first. I thought it was a ding, but then I had to read closer to see that it was actually a waitlist. It was my first waitlist email so I guess I didn't know what to expect.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

calgal17 wrote:WL for me here. Above median GPA and below 25th LSAT so I guess I take this as a good sign. It seems I'm certainly in good company with you people who have much higher numbers. I wrote a Why Mich Essay btw. That email was somewhat confusing at first. I thought it was a ding, but then I had to read closer to see that it was actually a waitlist. It was my first waitlist email so I guess I didn't know what to expect.
What did yours say?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”