michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oneforship

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby oneforship » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Mine was frozen for a few days before I got accepted. :?:

I hope you are right! Mine is frozen since yesterday.

I doubt it works like that for everyone, but I was a "strong consider" on LSP, IIRC.

So am I, and mine has frozen before. I don't think it means anything.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

I doubt it works like that for everyone, but I was a "strong consider" on LSP, IIRC.

Yeah I doubt it works that way either, but a guy sure can dream!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

+1. Also stuck on yesterday. Strong Consider. Don't think it means anything though.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
oneforship wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:If I'm still pending and expecting news any day now, is it too late to send a Why Michigan?

Send it.

Yeah, definitely send it. But keep in mind, with Dean Z out in Annapolis, I don't think any new decisions will come out until she gets back...

Dean Z's in Annapolis? When does she get back?

Not sure http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z/default.aspx

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Reading that blog makes me love Dean Z.

cendien

Postby cendien » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 pm

stratocophic wrote: It takes a while. I submitted a little before you did and just got my status checker a week or so ago.

Thanks! I'll wait it out.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:58 pm

cendien wrote:
stratocophic wrote: It takes a while. I submitted a little before you did and just got my status checker a week or so ago.

Thanks! I'll wait it out.

No problem, glad to help anyone at the beginning of what's probably going to be a long wait :?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Reading that blog makes me love Dean Z.

Seriously. I'm check ~ every day to see if there's been a new post...

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Does anyone have any quick tips regarding composing Why essays? I assume just name drop some of the school's programs/professors and explain how they fit with my needs and ambitions? Maybe something about location as well?

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:02 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Does anyone have any quick tips regarding composing Why essays? I assume just name drop some of the school's programs/professors and explain how they fit with my needs and ambitions? Maybe something about location as well?

I think that's a good start. Just try to make it personal, so they get to know you better. And show why you're a good fit for the school/what you can bring to the table, not just why the school is a good fit for you.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:09 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Does anyone have any quick tips regarding composing Why essays? I assume just name drop some of the school's programs/professors and explain how they fit with my needs and ambitions? Maybe something about location as well?

I think that's a good start. Just try to make it personal, so they get to know you better. And show why you're a good fit for the school/what you can bring to the table, not just why the school is a good fit for you.

+1. Try to come at it from a more personal perspective, not just spitting out the standard website information.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 am

Longtime lurker here. Sorry in advance but I couldn't find a clear answer via search:

How soon after admission did you all hear about merit aid awards?

Also, I realize this is highly speculative in nature but I have done a little bit of research on LSN and it would seem that I am significantly more likely to get merid aid from Mich with my stats (3.5, 172) than from UVA. Given that many of you probably applied to both schools, is there any anecdotal evidence that might support this?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am

Wolverhoo wrote:Longtime lurker here. Sorry in advance but I couldn't find a clear answer via search:

Also, I realize this is highly speculative in nature but I have done a little bit of research on LSN and it would seem that I am significantly more likely to get merid aid from Mich with my stats (3.5, 172) than from UVA. Given that many of you probably applied to both schools, is there any anecdotal evidence that might support this?

--ImageRemoved--
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

orphanarium

Postby orphanarium » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Last edited by orphanarium on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:54 am

orphanarium wrote:
Wolverhoo wrote:Longtime lurker here. Sorry in advance but I couldn't find a clear answer via search:

Go to the admitted students website and click on the "mail and money" box on the bottom left. Then click on "admissions communications." The site will update when you get a scholarship offer mailed out. According to the site, mine was mailed out roughly 5 days after I was admitted ... haven't actually received it in the mail just yet.

Hmmm alright, I have no such notification under my admissions communications and I was admitted roughly two weeks ago. Too soon to worry they won't be sending anything my way?

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 am

This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping some English majors could help me out.

On the Michigan blog, Dean Zearfoss quotes a former student who writes that he was lambasted for failing to have his noun agree with his verb in something he wrote for the law school paper.

The phrase in question is: "If any of you have had..."

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with the grammar in this phrase? I must be missing something because I don't see it, so any enlightenment would help.

:)

gladitsover

Postby gladitsover » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 am

existenz wrote:This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping some English majors could help me out.

On the Michigan blog, Dean Zearfoss quotes a former student who writes that he was lambasted for failing to have his noun agree with his verb in something he wrote for the law school paper.

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with the grammar in this phrase? I must be missing something because I don't see it, so any enlightenment would help.

It should be "if any of you has had" any is a singular pronoun

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:13 am

gladitsover wrote:
existenz wrote:This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping some English majors could help me out.

KNEW IT. I was too afraid of being wrong and being slapped down by someone who took more than 1 English class in undergrad to jump on it though :oops:

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 am

Planning to fax a late-addition Why essay to Dean Z tomorrow. Pretty excited about it.

bees

Postby bees » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 am

LieutKaffee wrote:Planning to fax a late-addition Why essay to Dean Z tomorrow. Pretty excited about it.

Good luck man, you should be getting into some good schools with your stats - hopefully this is the extra push you need.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 am

gladitsover wrote:

Thanks!

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 am

LieutKaffee wrote:Planning to fax a late-addition Why essay to Dean Z tomorrow. Pretty excited about it.

Why fax? Wouldn't emailing a PDF be better? (at least as far as print quality)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 am

good luck LK, rooting for you

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 am

existenz wrote:

Well, I was kind of wondering what the SOP is for late addenda. The email from Mich says email or call with questions or concerns but does not specify the best way for submitting essays. Her fax number is listed at the bottom of her letters as well. If the issue is quality, I have no problem going with the pdf idea.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:54 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
existenz wrote:

Well, I was kind of wondering what the SOP is for late addenda. The email from Mich says email or call with questions or concerns but does not specify the best way for submitting essays. Her fax number is listed at the bottom of her letters as well. If the issue is quality, I have no problem going with the pdf idea.

I've used emails for all the application updates I've sent. You just attach to the PDF to an email to the law admissions office, with a very short note explaining what the attachment is and that you would like it included in your application materials. Make sure your LSAC number is on the "why" essay in the header.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”