michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:58 am

Helmholtz wrote:Now if we're talking UVA, after my waitlist, I feel like they clearly YP the hell out of just about everybody.

You didn't like them anyway. Are you withdrawing? What's the deal w/ Penn?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:00 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Now if we're talking UVA, after my waitlist, I feel like they clearly YP the hell out of just about everybody.

Yeah, withdrew from UVA the minute I got the WL. Penn, I'm just going to ride the WL on it mostly just for the hell of it, but probably won't be getting in since I don't feel they're worth any LOCI or extra LOR's.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Maybe it has to do with them trying to maintain a good acceptance rate, maybe they just didn't find enough to like about the candidate or didn't think they'd make a good fit, I don't know. But I do know they've already admitted some people with damn impressive numbers, and using some method, they differentiated the people with fantastic numbers who got an acceptance and people with fantastic numbers who were rejected.

Already trolling for Michigan? That didn't take long.

To be fair, I have always been a big fan of any of the HYSM schools.

HYSCCM, right?

Blatant NYU trolling

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 am

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Yeah, withdrew from UVA the minute I got the WL. Penn, I'm just going to ride the WL on it mostly just for the hell of it, but probably won't be getting in since I don't feel they're worth any LOCI or extra LOR's.

Yeah. Penn is pretty mehhh... Wasn't too phased by the rejection. What's the deal with NYU? I still haven't heard either.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:10 am

TheWire wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:HYSCCM, right?

Blatant NYU trolling

I love how this site has an aneurysm everytime NYU is disparaged in the slightest. IT WAS A JOKE.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:15 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
TheWire wrote:

Blatant NYU trolling

I love how this site has an aneurysm everytime NYU is disparaged in the slightest. IT WAS A JOKE.

true it should be... HYS NCC MPD VNCG right?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:16 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Yeah. Penn is pretty mehhh... Wasn't too phased by the rejection. What's the deal with NYU? I still haven't heard either.

Same here, not a peep from NYU other than telling me I was complete months ago. Expecting a WL at this point, same for Chi.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:16 am

TheWire wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
TheWire wrote:

Blatant NYU trolling

true it should be... HYS NCC MPD VNCG right?

YH SCC NMVPB DCNG

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am

Helmholtz wrote:Same here, not a peep from NYU other than telling me I was complete months ago. Expecting a WL at this point, same for Chi.

Although I don't want to get my hopes up, I think I may be the first Chicago sub 3.0 admit, ever.

::knock on wood::
Last edited by 02082010 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 am

Blatant NYU trolling[/quote]

I love how this site has an aneurysm everytime NYU is disparaged in the slightest. IT WAS A JOKE.[/quote]

true it should be... HYS NCC MPD VNCG right?[/quote]
YH SCC NMVPB DCNG[/quote]

spoken like someone from the Midwest NU trollin'

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Maybe it has to do with them trying to maintain a good acceptance rate, maybe they just didn't find enough to like about the candidate or didn't think they'd make a good fit, I don't know. But I do know they've already admitted some people with damn impressive numbers, and using some method, they differentiated the people with fantastic numbers who got an acceptance and people with fantastic numbers who were rejected.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree w/r/t the "it's not just straight YP" assessment. I believe it's a combination of yield protection plus something else. It might be that they don't think you'll be a fit, or some mistakes on the application, or a less-than-compelling "Why" essay, or a lack of softs, or maybe just getting the wrong adcom on the wrong day. I think, in a nutshell, they're basically saying "It's not worth taking the likely hit on matriculation ratio for a candidate that we don't absolutely love for whatever reason."

It's probably also worth noting that I'm saying this as a person expecting a WL/rejection despite the fact that LSP gives my numbers an "Admit." I don't necessarily think it's an ill omen for other places, either, I just think Michigan has a slightly different idea of what they're looking for than most schools. That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am

TheWire wrote:Blatant NYU trolling

I love how this site has an aneurysm everytime NYU is disparaged in the slightest. IT WAS A JOKE.[/quote]

true it should be... HYS NCC MPD VNCG right?[/quote]
YH SCC NMVPB DCNG[/quote]

spoken like someone from the Midwest NU trollin'[/quote]

NU trolling? I didn't even apply. Better biglaw placement than both C and G though. And students can take classes at a T3 B-school. And it's in the nicest part of Chicago.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:23 am

Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Same here, not a peep from NYU other than telling me I was complete months ago. Expecting a WL at this point, same for Chi.

Haven't heard anything for NYU, either. Pretty much gave up hope on them. Chicago is my last hope for cracking CCN, but I'm not holding my breath. Hey, at least there's always EDing UVA!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:25 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Haven't heard anything for NYU, either. Pretty much gave up hope on them. Chicago is my last hope for cracking CCN, but I'm not holding my breath. Hey, at least there's always EDing UVA!

LOL, the latest, greatest sign of LS desperation.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:31 am

Helmholtz wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

LOL, the latest, greatest sign of LS desperation.

:lol:

Something tells me I'm not the only one with a signed ED contract ready to go. Y'know, just in case... :mrgreen:

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:53 am

AngryAvocado wrote:Something tells me I'm not the only one with a signed ED contract ready to go. Y'know, just in case... :mrgreen:

I'm starting to think about having one ready to go too, just in case. Even though UVa is probably after MVPDN on my list (just shows you how much confidence I lack in how my cycle is going to turn out). How late is it an option?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 am

boilercat wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Something tells me I'm not the only one with a signed ED contract ready to go. Y'know, just in case... :mrgreen:

I'm starting to think about having one ready to go too, just in case. Even though UVa is probably after MVPDN on my list (just shows you how much confidence I lack in how my cycle is going to turn out). How late is it an option?

Vanderbilt? Valparaiso? Villanova? Vermont?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 am

Helm, this is is some really blatant anti-NYU/Penn/UVA trolling

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:13 am

boilercat wrote:

March 1st, same as GTown I believe. Unfortunately every splitter with a shot to go T-14 is doing the same thing (or already into NU if they have WE). Not that I don't plan to have it ready to be overnighted the second I get two dings, but it's a pain that everyone's smart/desperate enough to use the same strategy and create the bottleneck.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:13 am

boilercat wrote:

March 1st, same as GTown I believe. Unfortunately every splitter with a shot to go T-14 is doing the same thing (or already into NU if they have WE). Not that I don't plan to have it ready to be overnighted the second I get two dings, but it's a pain that everyone's smart/desperate enough to use the same strategy and create the bottleneck.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:22 am

Helmholtz wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Vanderbilt? Valparaiso? Villanova? Vermont?

Valpo. It's close to home.

*slaps self* :mrgreen:

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:24 am

barrinmb wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a real severe splitter (Berk is the only school in the T14 where I'm under 25th for GPA and over 75th for LSAT), which is a bit comforting.

I think my numbers might actually be 'mediocre' enough compared to some of the shocking dings in this thread to get me into Mich.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 am

boilercat wrote:
barrinmb wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Yeah, I'm not a real severe splitter (Berk is the only school in the T14 where I'm under 25th for GPA and over 75th for LSAT), which is a bit comforting.

I think my numbers might actually be 'mediocre' enough compared to some of the shocking dings in this thread to get me into Mich.

Ah, you shouldn't have a problem in that case. You'd go to the top o' the heap for your UVA ED, I'd imagine. They've got to start running out of room for the GPA-challenged soon :roll:

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 am

ahhhhh just logged in to the admitted students website!! SHOCKED and SO EXCITED!!! :D

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:02 am

WHOA! Congrats! When did you go DR? 1/11?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”