michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:03 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).

texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:04 pm

what kind of student would fit in?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby calicocat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


Dream crusher

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...


With a YP you waitlist the person then if they commit, due to whatever reason, you take them off the waitlist and accept them. What they are doing isn't YP, they didn't like us for some reason and rejected us. I am just shocked at how quick I went to rejection, so I am not sure why they thought right away I wouldn't fit.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

talibkweli wrote:how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

WTF?! Don't get how I sound ridiculous but w/e.

Anyways I would just like to say that: 1) I knew I'd probably be rejected when I applied so I'm not complaining. 2)Half of what people are jumping down my throat about is what others have said not I. Please get your story straight before yelling at me.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Kakarot wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...


With a YP you waitlist the person then if they commit, due to whatever reason, you take them off the waitlist and accept them. What they are doing isn't YP, they didn't like us for some reason and rejected us. I am just shocked at how quick I went to rejection, so I am not sure why they thought right away I wouldn't fit.

Did you write a why Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...

Edit:changed way to why, lol
Last edited by robin600 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
triplecats
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby triplecats » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm

robin600 wrote:Did you write a way Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...


I think that poster had the "serial killer" soft. It did me in at Michigan too. Similar numbers.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm

triplecats wrote:
robin600 wrote:Did you write a way Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...


I think that poster had the "serial killer" soft. It did me in at Michigan too. Similar numbers.


I was hoping that would help. I considered it a very powerful soft. No why Michigan essay.

Maybe the lady who entered my information into the computer was dyslexic, turning around the numbers in my lsat and gpa? That is possible... I should call and ask.

I am done with it now. :) hopefully it is the last.

Good luck to everyone left in here.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm

holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

nixxers wrote:holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AHHH CONGRATS!

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Veritas wrote:
nixxers wrote:holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AHHH CONGRATS!


thanks! ahhhh i dont know what to do!

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

nixxers wrote:
Veritas wrote:
nixxers wrote:holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AHHH CONGRATS!


thanks! ahhhh i dont know what to do!


did you get in? how did you find out and when did the status check update?

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Torvon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...


Do you mind sharing which optional essay you wrote?

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Torvon wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!


From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).


I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...


Do you mind sharing which optional essay you wrote?


Nothing... just the required materials... Dean Z mentioned that she loved the Americorps stuff in the letter but I think she says she loves something on everyone's letters.

Munner
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Munner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

uofmsbiggestfan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Got my rejection letter today. They must have really hated me to reject me exactly one month after being held from ED. (Including the Holiday break). Why not just reject me the first time? Oh well. Good luck too everyone waiting, congrats to darrow winners and admitted applicants.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby GeePee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

Whoa seriously? That blows my mind.

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm

That blows my mind.


+1. I don't care what anyone says at this point. Michigan is clearly employing some very direct YP strategies.

Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Torvon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm

GeePee wrote:
Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

Whoa seriously? That blows my mind.


These last few pages are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to guess why Michigan would flat out reject all of these high numbers. Realistically speaking law school is all a numbers game, that's always the rule and never the exception. I could see waitlisting, YP, type thing, but rejections? Does the number of people they waitlist hurt their ranking or something? I guess you could argue that Michigan is assuming they wouldn't attend anyway, but why not just waitlist in that situation? What does Michigan have to lose?

User avatar
poprox
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby poprox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
That blows my mind.


+1. I don't care what anyone says at this point. Michigan is clearly employing some very direct YP strategies.


Was Michigan the school that really over-enrolled last year? Maybe they are being super careful not to make a similar mistake this year.

Munner
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Munner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Indeed. I’m legitimately shocked. I wrote two supplemental essays both of which expressed strong interest in Michigan. I would have figured a waitlist at the very least.

User avatar
Space_Cowboy
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Munner wrote:Indeed. I’m legitimately shocked. I wrote two supplemental essays both of which expressed strong interest in Michigan. I would have figured a waitlist at the very least.


Holistic, shmolistic. This one is clearly YP.

User avatar
musketeerlady
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby musketeerlady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Just got the call from Dean Z - full Darrow as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats to you nixxers! I'm registering for ASW March 25-27, hope to see TLSers there :-)

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 pm

musketeerlady wrote:Just got the call from Dean Z - full Darrow as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats to you nixxers! I'm registering for ASW March 25-27, hope to see TLSers there :-)


NICE!! Congrats to you as well!!!! I think I'm going to that ASW as well. YAY




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: potatocowpower and 2 guests