michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Helmholtz

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:03 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!

From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:04 pm

what kind of student would fit in?

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!

From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).

Dream crusher

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:15 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...

With a YP you waitlist the person then if they commit, due to whatever reason, you take them off the waitlist and accept them. What they are doing isn't YP, they didn't like us for some reason and rejected us. I am just shocked at how quick I went to rejection, so I am not sure why they thought right away I wouldn't fit.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

talibkweli wrote:how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

WTF?! Don't get how I sound ridiculous but w/e.

Anyways I would just like to say that: 1) I knew I'd probably be rejected when I applied so I'm not complaining. 2)Half of what people are jumping down my throat about is what others have said not I. Please get your story straight before yelling at me.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Kakarot wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

With a YP you waitlist the person then if they commit, due to whatever reason, you take them off the waitlist and accept them. What they are doing isn't YP, they didn't like us for some reason and rejected us. I am just shocked at how quick I went to rejection, so I am not sure why they thought right away I wouldn't fit.

Did you write a why Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...

Edit:changed way to why, lol
Last edited by robin600 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm

robin600 wrote:Did you write a way Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...

I think that poster had the "serial killer" soft. It did me in at Michigan too. Similar numbers.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:34 pm

triplecats wrote:
robin600 wrote:Did you write a way Michigan? Why you weren't accepted blows my mind...

I think that poster had the "serial killer" soft. It did me in at Michigan too. Similar numbers.

I was hoping that would help. I considered it a very powerful soft. No why Michigan essay.

Maybe the lady who entered my information into the computer was dyslexic, turning around the numbers in my lsat and gpa? That is possible... I should call and ask.

I am done with it now. :) hopefully it is the last.

Good luck to everyone left in here.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:45 pm

holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

nixxers wrote:holyshitfulldarrow

AHHH CONGRATS!

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Veritas wrote:

AHHH CONGRATS!

thanks! ahhhh i dont know what to do!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

nixxers wrote:
Veritas wrote:

AHHH CONGRATS!

thanks! ahhhh i dont know what to do!

did you get in? how did you find out and when did the status check update?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Do you mind sharing which optional essay you wrote?

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Torvon wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Do you mind sharing which optional essay you wrote?

Nothing... just the required materials... Dean Z mentioned that she loved the Americorps stuff in the letter but I think she says she loves something on everyone's letters.

Munner

Postby Munner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

uofmsbiggestfan

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Got my rejection letter today. They must have really hated me to reject me exactly one month after being held from ED. (Including the Holiday break). Why not just reject me the first time? Oh well. Good luck too everyone waiting, congrats to darrow winners and admitted applicants.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

Whoa seriously? That blows my mind.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm

That blows my mind.

+1. I don't care what anyone says at this point. Michigan is clearly employing some very direct YP strategies.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 pm

GeePee wrote:
Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(

Whoa seriously? That blows my mind.

These last few pages are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to guess why Michigan would flat out reject all of these high numbers. Realistically speaking law school is all a numbers game, that's always the rule and never the exception. I could see waitlisting, YP, type thing, but rejections? Does the number of people they waitlist hurt their ranking or something? I guess you could argue that Michigan is assuming they wouldn't attend anyway, but why not just waitlist in that situation? What does Michigan have to lose?

poprox

Postby poprox » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
That blows my mind.

+1. I don't care what anyone says at this point. Michigan is clearly employing some very direct YP strategies.

Was Michigan the school that really over-enrolled last year? Maybe they are being super careful not to make a similar mistake this year.

Munner

Postby Munner » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Indeed. I’m legitimately shocked. I wrote two supplemental essays both of which expressed strong interest in Michigan. I would have figured a waitlist at the very least.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Munner wrote:Indeed. I’m legitimately shocked. I wrote two supplemental essays both of which expressed strong interest in Michigan. I would have figured a waitlist at the very least.

Holistic, shmolistic. This one is clearly YP.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Just got the call from Dean Z - full Darrow as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats to you nixxers! I'm registering for ASW March 25-27, hope to see TLSers there :-)

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:36 pm

musketeerlady wrote:Just got the call from Dean Z - full Darrow as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats to you nixxers! I'm registering for ASW March 25-27, hope to see TLSers there :-)

NICE!! Congrats to you as well!!!! I think I'm going to that ASW as well. YAY

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”