michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:34 am

Reedie wrote:Yes, I've seen those anecdotes as well. I don't see much reason to believe they are representative; in fact I have just posted much more solid evidence indicating they are not. Law schools generally LIKE having more applicants and are eager to say "yeah, everyone wants to go here 'cause it's the hot place to be." So--aside from the temptation they have to provide a rosy picture of how many more applicants they are getting--there is a bit of a self selection bias to a reporter asking "hey, which law schools have had big increases in applicants" and hearing a chorus of "me me me me..."

And is anyone surprised WSUTL is getting more apps? They are humping everyone's leg with a fee waver and have great scholarship offers. As long as they continue to be this aggressive, they will continue to get more applicants.


You have posted non-current data, that's the problem. The data on lsac.org doesn't include the 60,000+ who took the LSAT in Sept either. But just b/c it's not "official" yet does not mean that it is more likely that the 60,000 number is a lie or an exaggeration. I work for a test prep company and the head of our department keeps in touch in local deans of admissions and every single school he talked to (or about with other schools) was talking about the big increases in applications (minus one school which was freaking out a little since their numbers are actually down at the moment).

I by no means think there are 30-40%+ more applicants this year. I think a large amount of that percentage increase has to do with people sending out recording numbers of applications per applicant. But I think these increases means there must also be a significant increase in applicants as well.

Just my opinion though.

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:46 am

Didn't mean to start a digression in this thread-- sorry guys :oops: ! I was just trying to put forth another reason why people with great #s are getting rejected. But it appears that I didn't research my theory very well and shouldn't have made some assumptions... (this may be why I didn't do as well as I'd wanted on the LSAT)

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 am

The applications at all the schools are, as of the first week in Jan, only up 6% with an increase in applicants of only 1%. This is according to Dean Pless who gets the most up to date info from LSAC.

This, however, doesn't look at any individual school so we can't say if that 6% increase in applications is located at the T14 which could end up being a 50% increase in applications at every top school....

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby ughOSU » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 am

Jericwithers wrote:This thread is getting cut throat. They better let me soon in so I can spread the good will once again.

yea I mean I'm kinda an asshole, but even this is a bit much for me.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:49 am

how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

ughOSU
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby ughOSU » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 am

talibkweli wrote:how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

yea but honestly, people really jumped on her for being upset about not getting in. Whatever, I didn't want to re-hash this whole thing.

I love your album Eardrum.

starstruck393
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby starstruck393 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 am

ughOSU wrote:
talibkweli wrote:how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

yea but honestly, people really jumped on her for being upset about not getting in. Whatever, I didn't want to re-hash this whole thing.

I love your album Eardrum.


Yeah, that wasn't really deserved, she didn't do very much complaining. I think a lot of the flak about her stemmed from some of the posters who complained about her not getting in, and either was mistakenly directed at her, or misinterpreted as directed at her when it really just referenced her.

What set me off yesterday were the posters who were saying things like "I'm above both 75ths, I've already gotten into CCN, how could they reject me, I hope their rankings drop, blah blah blah...", acting like they were entitled to Michigan because of their numbers...

User avatar
GobiasIndustries
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:56 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby GobiasIndustries » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 am

Yikes. Sorry to hear about everyone's bad news. My letter is on its way but still hasn't arrived yet. We tried.

User avatar
juevonate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby juevonate » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:33 am

First rejection for me too----no surprise---probably the first of many. One less loci I have to write---I definitely appreciate schools that are straight up with you.....

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby dk8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:14 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
talibkweli wrote:how the robin poster managed to get posters to snark at her despite having what seems like a really inspirational story just speaks to how ridiculous she sounds. on balance, it seems like dean z made a good call here.

yea but honestly, people really jumped on her for being upset about not getting in. Whatever, I didn't want to re-hash this whole thing.

I love your album Eardrum.


Yeah, that wasn't really deserved, she didn't do very much complaining. I think a lot of the flak about her stemmed from some of the posters who complained about her not getting in, and either was mistakenly directed at her, or misinterpreted as directed at her when it really just referenced her.

What set me off yesterday were the posters who were saying things like "I'm above both 75ths, I've already gotten into CCN, how could they reject me, I hope their rankings drop, blah blah blah...", acting like they were entitled to Michigan because of their numbers...


I assume you were talking about me with the "I hope they drop their rankings" thing. Never said that. I'm not mad that I was dinged, I understand it's not personal. Likewise, it's not personal if I have a laugh if a school that rejected me has their numbers drop when I could have helped. FWIW, I think that has 0 chance of happening. It was an offhand comment, kinda like when someone says "Well! They rejected me? I didn't want to go there anyways!". Just wanted to clarify. I've got no hate towards the school and good luck to everyone going there and to those still waiting to hear back.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Submitted today!

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Got my rejection letter today. No personal note or anything for me. Not a big deal, it would have taken a large scholarship for me to go anyhow. I’ve never even been to Michigan and it is the farthest away school I applied to.

Shocked at the turnaround from applied to rejected.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:15 pm

Kakarot wrote:Got my rejection letter today. No personal note or anything for me. Not a big deal, it would have taken a large scholarship for me to go anyhow. I’ve never even been to Michigan and it is the farthest away school I applied to.

Shocked at the turnaround from applied to rejected.


what was that time frame? i'm expecting a rejection letter but have yet to receive one since my DR on 1/11. i am in the west coast though..

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:17 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Kakarot wrote:Got my rejection letter today. No personal note or anything for me. Not a big deal, it would have taken a large scholarship for me to go anyhow. I’ve never even been to Michigan and it is the farthest away school I applied to.

Shocked at the turnaround from applied to rejected.


what was that time frame? i'm expecting a rejection letter but have yet to receive one since my DR on 1/11. i am in the west coast though..


I went complete right around Christmas "I deleted the e-mail so don't know what day anymore," DR 1/11.

User avatar
Shellbelle
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:36 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Shellbelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:18 pm

eh got my rejection letter last night too. Knew it was coming...good luck to everybody else still waiting to hear :)

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Ragged » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:21 pm

From: http://iwanttofitin.wordpress.com/2007/ ... ur-collar/


I encountered someone who captures all of those aforementioned qualities. He is, in fact, the essence of douchebag. And a gay douchebag at that. Take notes, so you don’t make some of the same mistakes. His name was Oliver, and he was from Michigan. Two strikes against him already, just by waking up.


Image

Name: Oliver. There aren’t many names that are more homosexual than Oliver. As soon as you were old enough to realize what your name was, you should have killed yourself. Don’t bother trying to change your name, because no matter what, you will always be Oliver, and you will always be from…

Home state: Michigan. Or Michidan. Whichever you prefer. Worst and gayest state in the union. God Michigan sucks.

Pink shirt: I don’t give a shit what any of these fashion [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] say, pink is not the new blue. Pink is freakin’ pink. Quit watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and put on a game. Ever notice that no sports teams in any league have pink anywhere in their uniforms? Not even the WNBA. Pink is the color of flowers and hippie’s hair and uninfected vagina. No man should EVER wear this color in any way. EVER. If you wear a pink shirt at any time you are a douchebag. You look like a pussy and a sissy, and I want to shit down your throat. Especially when you wear a pink shirt with a…

Popped collar: No. This just enhances your overly apparent douchebaggedness. When you buy a collared shirt, it comes with the collars folded over exactly how they should be. Leave them alone. Why do you want to hide your neck so bad? Don’t want to show off that hickie you got last night from that dumb slut you slipped some rufies? Because that is the only way you’re pulling any box with your collar turned up. Girls laugh at you. No matter what you think, it is not cool. Flip it back down and go change out of your…

Black undershirt: Is this supposed to fool us into thinking you’re hard? Let me remind you, you’re wearing a PINK shirt, with the collar up. You are not hard. Although I guess it matches your…

Wristband: What the? This pisses me off maybe more than any other thing here. Just get done trying to play basketball? Do you sweat profusely around attractive women, and need to swipe your brow every now and then? Or is this just another ploy to seduce some unsuspecting whore? Perhaps you’re wearing it because it matches that black undershirt which makes you look hard and brings out your true metrosexuality? Metrosexuals are gay. And so are you with your…

Cell phone clip: Hey dickhead, everyone has a cell phone now. 90% of 11 year olds have cell phones now. My 74 year old grandfather has a cell phone. There is no need to show it off to anyone. Pants have pockets for a reason. Use them. Oh wait, that’s probably where you keep your stash of rufies, and the stuff you use to make that…

Hemp bracelet: God I hate you, and the fact that you are giving the camera a…

Peace sign: The Persian Gulf war ended over a decade ago, and with it went the peace sign. Maybe you were letting that [HI I'M THE WORD FILTER. THIS PERSON MIGHT BE A DICK.] behind you checking out your ass know how many fingers you want him to use. And what’s up with those…

“Intellectual glasses”: You are not smart. And those specs aren’t tricking us into thinking you are. Remember, you have on a PINK shirt. Obviously you are not intelligent. I mean, come on, you also have on a…

Detroit Tigers hat: Not that I have anything against the Tigers, but wearing this hat exhibits the fact that you are either from Michigan, or cheer for Michigan sports teams. Both are equally unacceptable. Everyone from and everything about Michigan sucks. Michigan, along with Wisconsin should join Canada. Or you could just move there. We wouldn’t care. And Canada wouldn’t notice that you’re wearing…

Earrings in both ears: Well I guess we’re back in 8th grade now, and you’re rebelling against your parents by doing something they don’t like. You are not goth, and you are not a rock star. You are a douchebag. Seriously, in your hand is…

Not a beer: Notice everyone in the picture is holding a beer, except for Oliver. His Powerade and vodka makes him look like a real tough guy. Berry Blue. Mmmmmmmm. That could expain his…

Stupid facial expression: The typical look of a douchebag. “I’m too cool to actually have my picture taken, so when you force me to, I will make a facial expression to make it appear that I am cooler than everyone else around me when in reality I suck dick.” This look will be easy to spot on anyone who displays any of the above.

Now you know how to spot a douchebag, or realize that you are one. For those of you who aren’t, when you see a douchebag on the streets with your friends, make sure to point and laugh at him and give him the Factual Material douchebag salute. To do this, just extend one hand out, and make a motion with it as if you were, in fact, squeezing a douche bag. And if anyone recognizes Oliver here somewhere, punch him in the face and break those stupid glasses.

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby nyskidude » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Rejected today via snail mail. Oh well, it happens (especially with my stats)

User avatar
goblue1646
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby goblue1646 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm

sent my app in!!! But I've spent the last hour or so reading through the thread...what is going on at michigan right now??? :P now i feel like my chances are terribly small...:(

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby doinmybest » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

wow so all these recent DRs are rejections?? Looks like mine isnt going to break the trend...

rsg87
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby rsg87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:48 pm

Finally got my rejection letter. 171/3.8 and I was an admit on LSP with 81%. I am pretty surprised but I guess it's really tough this year to predict anything.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby calicocat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 pm

rsg87 wrote:Finally got my rejection letter. 171/3.8 and I was an admit on LSP with 81%. I am pretty surprised but I guess it's really tough this year to predict anything.

Oh no...well I'm sure you're getting into some crazy schools anyways with those numbers

User avatar
goblue1646
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby goblue1646 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Oli wrote:
rsg87 wrote:Finally got my rejection letter. 171/3.8 and I was an admit on LSP with 81%. I am pretty surprised but I guess it's really tough this year to predict anything.

Oh no...well I'm sure you're getting into some crazy schools anyways with those numbers


yeah you will for sure! that is just so strange that you didn't get it... :/

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Rejection for me also via snail mail today. Whatever.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby ccs224 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:57 pm

So, after being "held" by Michigan, I sent them a LOCI and assigned another LOR to them via LSAC. I really want them to know that I love them. Does this make me a nerd?

User avatar
rockchalk86
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm

I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jdanz, Justtrying2help, MSNbot Media, Nobiggie, Photomike2, Redsfan320, root_beer and 17 guests