michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes, but if they want that little ammount they need in-state students.

Can you give us something to prove that the state will withhold funding if Mich Law doesn't admit enough residents?

In order to be a public university in MI you need to have in-state students attending and paying less. That's how they are classified in MI. Since UofM is a public law school, it applies. I could go digging to find the law, but I have better things to do with my time.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

/
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

floppymex wrote:Has anyone in the DR 1/11 receive a WL through the mail?

Just looking for the Hail Mary hope to hold onto.

Last year, at least, WL came via email. Sorry...

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 pm

/
Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

raspberryfruitcake

Postby raspberryfruitcake » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 pm

I received a packet from Michigan, only to find out that it was the viewbook/ fee waiver letter. I almost had a heart attack!

...At least the letter had a nice personal touch?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:52 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
floppymex wrote:Has anyone in the DR 1/11 receive a WL through the mail?

Just looking for the Hail Mary hope to hold onto.

Last year, at least, WL came via email. Sorry...

I think it also shows up in your status checker :cry:

doopwooper

Postby doopwooper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Olive wrote:
doopwooper wrote:got my rejection letter today. first rejection... :( I really liked Michigan too. Oh well. (167/3.9)

:| I'm sorry.

Did you write any supplemental essays?

yeah I wrote a supplemental essay :/

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:00 am

beesknees wrote:
robin600 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
robin600 wrote:Yes, but if they want that little ammount they need in-state students.

Can you give us something to prove that the state will withhold funding if Mich Law doesn't admit enough residents?

In order to be a public university in MI you need to have in-state students attending and paying less. That's how they are classified in MI. Since UofM is a public law school, it applies. I could go digging to find the law, but I have better things to do with my time.

This doesn't prove what you're setting out to prove. He asked if there is proof that Mich Law has or would be punished by withholding funds for not meeting some quota that you seem to say exists. All you said was that in-state students pay less, which they do... you never actually proved that there are any requirements the the state of MI requires for the Mich Law to meet to obtain the piddly funding that they get other than offering a tiny discount for in-staters. A discount doesn't = a quota for in-state people.

I also said they need in state students attending if you didn't read that part. Because public institutions get funding from taxes they need people from MI to come there. Mich law doesn't get a lot of funding, but they get some, and therefore they need students from MI to attend (not a lot but some). I don't see the problem. I also stated I could find the law, but don't want to, COD MW2 is a much better option right now.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am

doopwooper wrote:
Olive wrote:
doopwooper wrote:got my rejection letter today. first rejection... :( I really liked Michigan too. Oh well. (167/3.9)

:| I'm sorry.

Did you write any supplemental essays?

yeah I wrote a supplemental essay :/

You'll get in somewhere!!!! Did you just apply, if so I wouldn't worry yet. Chin up!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 am

robin600 wrote:I also said they need in state students attending if you didn't read that part. Because public institutions get funding from taxes they need people from MI to come there. Mich law doesn't get a lot of funding, but they get some, and therefore they need students from MI to attend (not a lot but some). I don't see the problem. I also stated I could find the law, but don't want to, COD MW2 is a much better option right now.

must be difficult playing MW2 half blind. do you think CoD MW2 should give you free kills added to your stats because of it? :roll:

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:08 am

finalaspects wrote:
robin600 wrote:I also said they need in state students attending if you didn't read that part. Because public institutions get funding from taxes they need people from MI to come there. Mich law doesn't get a lot of funding, but they get some, and therefore they need students from MI to attend (not a lot but some). I don't see the problem. I also stated I could find the law, but don't want to, COD MW2 is a much better option right now.

must be difficult playing MW2 half blind. do you think CoD MW2 should give you free kills added to your stats because of it? :roll:

Whoa where the hell did this come from? That's a bit of a low blow....

Olive

Postby Olive » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:11 am

robin600 wrote:
doopwooper wrote:yeah I wrote a supplemental essay :/

You'll get in somewhere!!!! Did you just apply, if so I wouldn't worry yet. Chin up!

+1

Best of luck with the rest of your cycle :)

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 am

finalaspects wrote:

crap pm!

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:16 am

finalaspects wrote:

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 am

This thread is getting cut throat. They better let me soon in so I can spread the good will once again.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:29 am

robin600 wrote:crap pm!

it was a tasteless joke on my part. responded to your pm

uofmsbiggestfan

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 am

Kakarot wrote:Am I the only one that didn't get the letter today?
Sorry to everyone that did.

I didn't get a letter today either :( Oh well I can wait a little longer for my rejection letter from Dean Z.

nuseph

Postby nuseph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 am

On the residency issue, Dean Z says in Montauk's book that residents' softs aren't as closely scrutinized as outsiders' and that the GPA/LSAT disparity, if any, is statistically insignificant--less than 1 point on the LSAT.

Take that with as many grains of salt as you please.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 am

I'm wondering if Mich vastly underestimated the dramatic rise in applications they would have this year... I mean, I know they've been doing this forever and have a good sense of their yield, but apps ARE crazy-up this year, probably higher than anyone expected.

So maybe they started admitting people pretty early (by November) and let in a lot of early-submit people that they would normally have admitted anyway... but then realized that they were seeing a ton more apps than expected and had to really lock down on how many later-submit people (who would normally have gotten in) that they could admit because their class was already half/over-half filled.

I don't know when all these higher-#s people who just got dinged submitted their apps, but it would be useful I guess to compare the GPA/LSATs of early app submissions/early decisions on LSN, versus later submissions/later decisions... (I'm not volunteering).

Anyways, just a theory. Apologies if anyone has already suggested this... this thread has grown by so many pages in the past few days that I may have just missed it.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:55 am

parker09 wrote: I mean, I know they've been doing this forever and have a good sense of their yield, but apps ARE crazy-up this year, probably higher than anyone expected.

Where are people getting this?

Here are the LSAC numbers:
--ImageRemoved--
Applicants are up modestly this year, but that's after an extended period of total applicants falling. Only applications are at a record high--and even that is not extreme. Now, if I had to guess, I would guess that the rise in applications is a bit sharper at the top schools, though not of applicants.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 am

Are we generally in agreement on here that YP is playing some role in this? Is there any other reason why all of these applicants with CCN #s are getting dinged?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 am

Reedie wrote:
parker09 wrote: I mean, I know they've been doing this forever and have a good sense of their yield, but apps ARE crazy-up this year, probably higher than anyone expected.

Here are the LSAC numbers:
--ImageRemoved--
Applicants are up modestly this year, but that's after an extended period of total applicants falling. Only applications are at a record high--and even that is not extreme. Now, if I had to guess, I would guess that the rise in applications is a bit sharper at the top schools, though not of applicants.

The unofficial newest numbers are what are most shocking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/education/10grad.html

Cornell reporting its applications up by 44% so far?

Yes, this cycle might turn out to be a crazy one.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 am

Reedie wrote:

[...]

Various sources. I'll admit I haven't done that much research, but from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/educa ... ool&st=cse

NY Times wrote:Officials at many law schools reported substantial increases in applications over last year. Washington University in St. Louis has had a 19 percent year-to-date increase in applications to its college of law. At the University of San Francisco School of Law, applications are up 35 percent over last year, and at the University of Iowa’s College of Law, applications are up 39 percent.

Some increases are more explicable than others. Applications to the Maurer School of Law at Indiana University have risen 54 percent this year, which may be related to its rise in the U.S. News & World Report rankings to 23 in 2009, from 36 the year before.

But at Cornell University’s Law School, whose ranking has remained relatively stable, applications are up 44 percent, and no one is quite sure of the reason for such a large increase.

Richard Geiger, dean of admissions, said: “I’m a little thrown off by the fact that our increase is much bigger than expected. There’s nothing big we’re doing to explain that kind of increase.”

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:11 am

Yes, I've seen those anecdotes as well. I don't see much reason to believe they are representative; in fact I have just posted much more solid evidence indicating they are not. Law schools generally LIKE having more applicants and are eager to say "yeah, everyone wants to go here 'cause it's the hot place to be." So--aside from the temptation they have to provide a rosy picture of how many more applicants they are getting--there is a bit of a self selection bias to a reporter asking "hey, which law schools have had big increases in applicants" and hearing a chorus of "me me me me..."

And is anyone surprised WSUTL is getting more apps? They are humping everyone's leg with a fee waver and have great scholarship offers. As long as they continue to be this aggressive, they will continue to get more applicants.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 am

Another thing I've been thinking about, to add to Reedie's post.

So the October LSAT increase was 20% to around 60k... so it was 50K before that (so delta is +10k)

Even if we assume that the entire distribution shifts up (i.e., all percentiles are uniformly affected, so that the number of scores in every percentile shifts up 20%)...

Oct 08: 2500 people with 95th percentile+
Oct 09: 3000 people with 95th percentile+

So that's +500

95th percentile for Oct 09 is around 167. So let's say (given the shaky assumption I made above) that around 500 people with 167+ were added to the applicant pool over Oct 08.

Is it me, or is that not really a big increase?

Furthermore, I would question my assumption that the distribution would shift up evenly. If anything, I think the middle of the distribution would be more likely to be affected.

Disclaimer: it's getting late, i'm tired, and as a result my math or stats could completely suck. but i think it's pretty much a good argument.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”