michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beesknees

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:35 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 pm

talibkweli wrote:
SanBun wrote:
beesknees wrote:They've been doing this whole admissions thing for years, so I think they know what they're doing.

In Robin's case, his LSAT is far below their 25%ile and isn't a splitter. So I think it was quite nice of Dean Z. But without at least one number at/above the median or URM status, a compelling story is sweet, but is not getting you in. Its the cold hard truth and a handwritten note acknowledging him as an individual was better than just slamming the door in his face, which every other school does if you aren't in their #'s range. Why do people expect a justification for their rejection? Almost always its because your numbers didn't cut it. Now to those strange auto-admits who were rejected, its weird, but they'll be going to better schools anyway, so why worry?

Yes, I agree with you partially but that's the whole problem: Schools have become so numbers driven they can't even accept a one in a million applicant like robin (and believe me, she is, I know her story), or even put her on a waitlist for christ's sake. THAT's what's messed up, acknowledging robin's incredible accomplishments, but refusing to recognize they are exceptional relatively speaking simply because they don't measure up to some absolute standard, ie medians.

meh. i am generally much less spiteful of the usnews effect than other people. as individuals, we all bring interesting and valuable stuff to the table, but having a great story isn't going to help you pass your torts final. i think objective metrics should be central to the process.

still, its ridiculous how magnified insignificant differences in lsat/gpa have become b/c of medians

I'm going to hold my tounge here (well I'll leave out the curse words), but FWIW, try taking the LSAT partially blind with only ten extra mins. per section and getting through all the reading comp. passages before time is called when you're in the bottom 10th percentile for reading speed. I've also 4.0ed every class I have ever taken that hasn't been interrupted by surgeries (I had eight freshman-junior years of college). If you use a purely objective metrics process you're screwing people over like me, who can't adhere to the standards of the average population applying to law school. So when you put my LSAT score and GPA up with the rest of the population I think it should be looked at differently, and other measures need to be taken into account. Maybe my past history won't pass my torts final for me, but my very strong work ethic will help me out greatly.

Sorry had to get that out.

That being said, I WAS TOTALLY EXPECTING A REJECTION!!!!!! I AM OK WITH BEING REJECTED!!!!!!! It was a total hail mary and didn't go through, and that's fine, had to try though. I feel like people are trying to make me seem like the ungrateful one looking for something. just trying to figure out the meaning behind the note people, that's it in it's entirety.
Last edited by robin600 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 pm

beesknees wrote:
robin600 wrote:
beesknees wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Lol. Gotta say I'd laugh really hard if they dropped their medians.

They've been doing this whole admissions thing for years, so I think they know what they're doing.

In Robin's case, his LSAT is far below their 25%ile and isn't a splitter. So I think it was quite nice of Dean Z. But without at least one number at/above the median or URM status, a compelling story is sweet, but is not getting you in. Its the cold hard truth and a handwritten note acknowledging him as an individual was better than just slamming the door in his face, which every other school does if you aren't in their #'s range. Why do people expect a justification for their rejection? Almost always its because your numbers didn't cut it. Now to those strange auto-admits who were rejected, its weird, but they'll be going to better schools anyway, so why worry?

First of all I'm a she thank you. Second, I'm in state, MI has in state quotas they have to meet to get enough aid from gov. funding so usually they are nicer to in-state people than out of state people. Granted it was still a hail mary, but if someone is going to tell me I'm compelling but not admit me why not waitlist me and never let me in? At least it'd make me feel better. Third, I in no way expected justification for my rejection, asked no questions and never expected to get the note that I got so please don't make me look like I'm whining because I didn't get in.

The feeling entitled to why you were rejected wasn't directed at you (someone later said something like "Wtf, why not even explain why you were rejected." And I did correct myself about your gender in a post afterward (I don't know why I thought you were a guy). Sorry!

Anyway, Michigan has no quota for in-state and I think something around 90% of students are out of state (its not like Texas that can legally only matriculate 35% out-of-staters). It does come off as a little whinny when they took the time to write you a note and give you the time of day. That being said, being rejected sucks, so I wish you better luck with the rest of your cycle.

I don't understand how I'm being whinny? I'm just curious why they'd send me a hand written note on a rejection letter, it seems a bit odd. I fully expected a rejection and I said before it was a hail mary, that's why I was surprised with the note. Am I supposed to be head over heels grateful that she did this for me? No. Am I appreciative, yes, but I just didn't see the point of it and seems a bit odd. Don't call me whinny, because I'm not and I take offense to it. So if you're going to sit here and tell me that I'm whining about my rejection then piss off, if you have something nice to say please continue (sorry I'm not in a pleasant mood right now).
90% of their students are not out of state it's around 75%. They are a public institution and MI you must have enough in state students to meet the criteria for public funding, that's how it goes. I don't think it's a set number quota or anything, I just think in state applicants are looked at a bit more leniently than others in the admissions process.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm

robin600 wrote: but my very strong work ethic will help me out greatly.

It will also aid you more in the long run than a diploma that says "Michigan" on it.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Reedie wrote:
robin600 wrote: but my very strong work ethic will help me out greatly.

It will also aid you more in the long run than a diploma that says "Michigan" on it.

Well I think my MSU diploma already outweighs that one GO GREEN!!! lol! But thanks reedie I think that's true too, for a lot of other people besides me as well!

doopwooper

Postby doopwooper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm

got my rejection letter today. first rejection... :( I really liked Michigan too. Oh well. (167/3.9)

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm

+1 Michigan ding confirmed. No hope for 1/11 it looks like.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Am I the only one that didn't get the letter today?
Sorry to everyone that did.
Last edited by Unitas on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:01 pm

For the sake of my sanity now, I need my Duke PT application to be an acceptance. When I got my LSAT score back I was counting on Michigan as my #1 realistic choice... Now I don't feel good about my chances at all.

BTW, something similar is going on at Berk... They are sending some ridiculously high numbers to faculty review, meaning an overwhelming majority are going to get dinged. Just go to the Berk thread and look at how many people over a median and a 75th are getting FRed.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm

robin600 wrote:I don't understand how I'm being whinny? I'm just curious why they'd send me a hand written note on a rejection letter, it seems a bit odd. I fully expected a rejection and I said before it was a hail mary, that's why I was surprised with the note. Am I supposed to be head over heels grateful that she did this for me? No. Am I appreciative, yes, but I just didn't see the point of it and seems a bit odd. Don't call me whinny, because I'm not and I take offense to it. So if you're going to sit here and tell me that I'm whining about my rejection then piss off, if you have something nice to say please continue (sorry I'm not in a pleasant mood right now).
90% of their students are not out of state it's around 75%. They are a public institution and MI you must have enough in state students to meet the criteria for public funding, that's how it goes. I don't think it's a set number quota or anything, I just think in state applicants are looked at a bit more leniently than others in the admissions process.

Michigan is public in name only. I'm pretty sure only 1-2% of its budget consists of public money.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Kakarot wrote:Am I the only one that didn't get the letter today?

Maybe you're actually in and something got messed up.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
robin600 wrote:I don't understand how I'm being whinny? I'm just curious why they'd send me a hand written note on a rejection letter, it seems a bit odd. I fully expected a rejection and I said before it was a hail mary, that's why I was surprised with the note. Am I supposed to be head over heels grateful that she did this for me? No. Am I appreciative, yes, but I just didn't see the point of it and seems a bit odd. Don't call me whinny, because I'm not and I take offense to it. So if you're going to sit here and tell me that I'm whining about my rejection then piss off, if you have something nice to say please continue (sorry I'm not in a pleasant mood right now).

Michigan is public in name only. I'm pretty sure only 1-2% of its budget consists of public money.

They are 21% resident though and have been around that for a while: http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... stics.aspx

dk8 wrote:

Maybe you're actually in and something got messed up.

Nah, I am just special.....

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Kakarot wrote:Nah, I am just special.....

are you like me? decision on 1/11, can't log in, and waiting for letter?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:19 pm

jc1988 wrote:

Yep. And even if the letter was sent on the 12th I should have it by now. Sadly I don't.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:

They are 21% resident though and have been around that for a while: http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... stics.aspx

Are you saying this is evidence of preferential treatment toward MI residents?

Anyway, my point was that the state has limited leverage over Michigan Law in terms of dictating an official or unofficial quota.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Kakarot wrote:
jc1988 wrote:

Yep. And even if the letter was sent on the 12th I should have it by now. Sadly I don't.

same for me as well. i'm in california though. where is my rejection letter damnit!

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Kakarot wrote:
jc1988 wrote:

i wish a miracle upon you. I doubt i have any chance though.

Olive

Postby Olive » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 pm

doopwooper wrote:got my rejection letter today. first rejection... :( I really liked Michigan too. Oh well. (167/3.9)

:| I'm sorry.

Did you write any supplemental essays?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:

Are you saying this is evidence of preferential treatment toward MI residents?

Anyway, my point was that the state has limited leverage over Michigan Law in terms of dictating an official or unofficial quota.

What I put was to counter the person who said 90% were out of state and show Robin was right about that. However, I would hope they'd give some kind of boost to residents. Possibly just because they are the most likely to matriculate.

I agree with you on leverage though. Especially given residents are only given a few grand off.
Last edited by Unitas on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:25 pm

robin600 wrote:I'm going to hold my tounge here (well I'll leave out the curse words), but FWIW, try taking the LSAT partially blind with only ten extra mins. per section and getting through all the reading comp. passages before time is called when you're in the bottom 10th percentile for reading speed. I've also 4.0ed every class I have ever taken that hasn't been interrupted by surgeries (I had eight freshman-junior years of college). If you use a purely objective metrics process you're screwing people over like me, who can't adhere to the standards of the average population applying to law school. So when you put my LSAT score and GPA up with the rest of the population I think it should be looked at differently, and other measures need to be taken into account. Maybe my past history won't pass my torts final for me, but my very strong work ethic will help me out greatly.

:roll:

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Has anyone in the DR 1/11 receive a WL through the mail?

Just looking for the Hail Mary hope to hold onto.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:

Yes, but if they want that little ammount they need in-state students.
How does residency affect my chances of admission?
Michigan residency is a factor in admissions, but it is only a small part. We are a public institution, but we are also highly selective. We are fortunate enough to receive so many highly qualified applicants from Michigan that our incoming classes are composed of 20 percent in-state residents. Our office makes only preliminary determinations of residency based on the answers that you provide in your application and the guidelines given by the University; if you have detailed questions about residency guidelines, please contact the University of Michigan's Residency Classification Office at 734.764.1400.

It's quite a small boost beesknees, but a boost nonetheless!

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:14 pm

robin600 wrote:Yes, but if they want that little ammount they need in-state students.

Can you give us something to prove that the state will withhold funding if Mich Law doesn't admit enough residents?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Where do you live, I live an hour away from AA so that might be why mine go there so fast.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”