michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jericwithers

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 pm

jc1988 wrote:so for those who received hold emails, did your status change to decision too?

No, no change at all. I think that calling this a hold email is misleading though, as I don't consider myself held at this point (denial perhaps?). I did get a hold email from Penn, and while they did ask for the same things that were in the email from Mich, there was no ambiguity as to whether or not I was held. This was more of a 'its a long process, so we are emailing you before you email us'. Kind of like a mid-cycle 'just a few more months left' email.

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
jc1988 wrote:so for those who received hold emails, did your status change to decision too?

No, no change at all. I think that calling this a hold email is misleading though, as I don't consider myself held at this point (denial perhaps?). I did get a hold email from Penn, and while they did ask for the same things that were in the email from Mich, there was no ambiguity as to whether or not I was held. This was more of a 'its a long process, so we are emailing you before you email us'. Kind of like a mid-cycle 'just a few more months left' email.

tx for reassuring me that i have been dinged....just waiting for the dinged letter now.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Hmmm... So now this "hold" aka "hold your horses" email is a good thing??? What does that mean for the people who didn't get one :shock: A rejection coming shortly? But, before I get ahead of myself, did most of you submit/go complete early (before December)?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm

jc1988 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

tx for reassuring me that i have been dinged....just waiting for the dinged letter now.

That wasn't my intent (though it is a nice side-effect). Look on the bright side; maybe your hold email has yet to come :lol: . Im sure you are in good shape, and since you arn't at DR sans ASW or held then you are probably close to an acceptance!

Oh, and I will now be returning to lurking the boards rather than posting. I do less damage that way.

AWegrzyn17

Postby AWegrzyn17 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:52 am

Got the hold email today like everyone else. Abover 75 stats for both LSAT and GPA and wrote the Why Michigan essay. Kinda pissed I haven't gotten a decision yet but they are still my no. 1. I was encouraged by that LSN profile mentioned earlier.

Saya

Postby Saya » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 am

Add to the mix, why not. Got the [strike]hold[/strike] update email. But I was only compete 12/23, so I wasn't really expecting much at this point. GPA above 75th, not sure what their 25/median/75s for LSAT are. Anyway, stats in profile. And yes to a Why Michigan essay.

Edited
Last edited by Saya on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:24 am

I agree that the email today was most certainly not a "hold" email. It was just a mailing explaining what is taking so long, and to pretty much tell us not to call them up whining about the wait. They were telling us to be patient, thats all.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 am

dakatz wrote:I agree that the email today was most certainly not a "hold" email. It was just an emailing explaining what is taking so long, and to pretty much tell us not to call them up whining about the wait. They were telling us to be patient, thats all.

+1000. I'm about as pessimistic as they come, and even I don't see how this is a legitimate "hold" email.

1) It blatantly says "we are continuing to review your application file," which is the opposite of a hold email.
2) People asked Michigan, and they said flat out that it wasn't in any way a hold email.
3) It makes no sense to "hold" a huge chunk of your applicants (especially many with strong numbers) at this point in time.
4) People got a similar email last cycle and were admitted shortly thereafter.

I'm 99% sure it's just a move by Michigan to reassure people that they haven't just pushed our stuff aside. Michigan is known for being a bit more empathetic with applicants, and this is just another example of them trying to keep our hopes up (one that backfired, apparently). Unless someone can come up with some reasonable basis for calling it a "hold" email, I vote we stop calling it that so we can stop perpetuating unnecessary panic.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:48 am

I still consider it a bad sign that they looked at my numbers, read the rest of my app, and decided they needed more time to think about it. They didn't do that for plenty of other people.

Saya

Postby Saya » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 am

tomhobbes wrote:I still consider it a bad sign that they looked at my numbers, read the rest of my app, and decided they needed more time to think about it. They didn't do that for plenty of other people.
But you're in YP territory.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:53 am

tomhobbes wrote:I still consider it a bad sign that they looked at my numbers, read the rest of my app, and decided they needed more time to think about it. They didn't do that for plenty of other people.

this was the point i made earlier. they looked at our apps, and for one reason or another decided to push them aside. hence, their decision will take longer than would be the case under a strictly rolling process. besides, if we were slated to hear back one way or the other within the near future, they probably would not have bothered sending an email.

i also think it was a little hint for kids with yp numbers to prove their commitment to umich in some capacity.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:10 am

talibkweli wrote:

this was the point i made earlier. they looked at our apps, and for one reason or another decided to push them aside. hence, their decision will take longer than would be the case under a strictly rolling process. besides, if we were slated to hear back one way or the other within the near future, they probably would not have bothered sending an email.

i also think it was a little hint for kids with yp numbers to prove their commitment to umich in some capacity.

I felt pretty good about that email till I read this. Michigan is a straight up target for me.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 am

Don't listen to Talib, he's crazy yo.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 am

Valid, but for most of us that was pretty obvious already. Being complete/under review for 2+ months means someone has probably looked at it and didn't admit you right off the bat.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 am

I'm 99% sure it's just a move by Michigan to reassure people that they haven't just pushed our stuff aside. Michigan is known for being a bit more empathetic with applicants, and this is just another example of them trying to keep our hopes up (one that backfired, apparently). Unless someone can come up with some reasonable basis for calling it a "hold" email, I vote we stop calling it that so we can stop perpetuating unnecessary panic.

+1. Time to move on.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 am

Shaggier1 wrote:

+1. Time to move on.

As someone who was held at Harvard (and waitlisted at UVA and Penn)... I can say that this email:

Reedie wrote:Full text:

Thank you for your application to the University of Michigan Law School. Because you went to great lengths to apply early in our season, we understand that you may feel some disappointment at not having received your answer yet. We understand the anxiety that the law school admissions procedure can cause, and are therefore writing to update you on the status of your file in an effort to alleviate at least some of that stress.

Your file has been reviewed at least once by our staff and the admissions committee and we have found much to admire. We have not yet, however, been able to render a decision, and are continuing to review your application file in the context of the greater applicant pool [...] We take our responsibility of composing a top-notch class extremely seriously, and that is to your benefit; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

We are unfortunately unable to give personalized feedback on individual applications. We would, however, be happy to add items to your file for our readers' benefit, if you have new information you would like us to consider. But it certainly is not necessary to add anything and you should not interpret this email as a solicitation for more material. Indeed, because we make decisions on a rolling basis, it is possible that we will send a decision to you before we receive and review any new submissions.

Our goal is to have all decisions made by the end of April, but most applicants will hear well before that time. Please be assured that receiving this email does not mean you will not get an answer until then! It simply indicates that we recognize you have been waiting patiently, and we appreciate that.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at law.jd.admissions@umich.edu or 734.764.0537. I sincerely appreciate your interest in the University of Michigan Law School.

...is definitely not like this one:

Harvard wrote:
The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and has decided to hold it for further review. Although we regret the immediate uncertainty this entails, the purpose of holding applications is to ensure that each application receives thorough and fair consideration. Once a larger portion of the applicant pool has been reviewed, the Committee will be able to provide you with a decision to admit, deny, or wait-list your application.

These decisions may be made at any time between now and late spring. Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict the next decision on your application or the timing of that decision. If you are facing a deadline with another school, you may want to inform us, but we still may not be able to provide you with definitive information.

[blahblah about sending them more stuff and how if I want any confirmation of them receiving it, I have to send a self-addressed stamped postcard blahblah about how much they think I suck at life blahblah]

We will make final decisions as soon as possible. However, if you do not hear from us again before mid-April, you may want to reserve a place at another law school while awaiting Harvard's final decision. Thank you for your patience and your interest. We will contact you as soon as the next decision on your application has been made.

...which was a lot less warm-fuzzy-nice sounding.

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm

so, if this pseudo-hold email isn't a hold at all, is it inappropriate to send a LOCI?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Just got my mail, nothing from Michigan today. Guess my rejection will wait until tomorrow.
I am part of the DR 1/11/09.. Letter may have been sent on 1/11 or later, otherwise I would have it by now.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:45 pm

moonshine wrote:so, if this pseudo-hold email isn't a hold at all, is it inappropriate to send a LOCI?

Michigan likes hearing from people. I saw it as an invitation for my material

stopscreaming

Postby stopscreaming » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Dr 1/11. Just received an admissions packet today. So there is indeed hope for all you 1/11ers out there.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:28 pm

stopscreaming wrote:Dr 1/11. Just received an admissions packet today. So there is indeed hope for all you 1/11ers out there.

Were you able to log into the admitted student site, though?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:30 pm

stopscreaming wrote:Dr 1/11. Just received an admissions packet today. So there is indeed hope for all you 1/11ers out there.

This means if we didn't get a package a day or two after DR, the rejection letters are just coming in more slowly right?...

or at least the chances are this is true... :cry:

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Kakarot wrote:Just got my mail, nothing from Michigan today. Guess my rejection will wait until tomorrow.
I am part of the DR 1/11/09.. Letter may have been sent on 1/11 or later, otherwise I would have it by now.

Same here to all of that. They claim to send out decision letters a few days before updating status checkers to alleviate the anxiety of waiting, but in this case they totally failed. Maybe someone else in the decision 1/11 pool will get lucky and receive a letter in postal mail today. :(

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm

You must have been typing at the same time as me - can you login to Michigan's ASW?

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Let's all pause for a moment and pray for the people in Haiti. For those that can, you can donate to a list of vetted organizations that are helping in Haiti:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/impact/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”