michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shaggier1

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?
the fact that they already looked at our applications is the key point here. if it was more like "sorry, but there are so many apps that we havent gotten to yours yet," i'd agree with you. that they decided for one reason to to hold off, probably in order to get a better sense of the entire applicant pool, makes this effectively a deferral.
I just called and was explicitly told that it is not a hold, or a waitlist, or anything like that.

"It is just a courtesy email to let you know that we are still working on your application and ask for your patience," is what I was told by the adcomm.
Last edited by Shaggier1 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:24 pm

puppins wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
puppins wrote:
maggiebre wrote: I think it could make the difference between a person with YP numbers who was held, versus a person with YP numbers who is awarded the Darrow...
I am guessing that this email means no chance at the darrow anyway for "held" or whatever applicants, so maybe it's better to just ignore it and get dinged.
that's what I'm thinking...at this point I was holding out on Mich mostly for the prospect of some $$...might just let it sit.
yeah. oh well.
If by $$ you mean Darrow, then yeah, I'd say your chances are slim. My understanding of the Darrow is that it's based not only on solid numbers, but also good softs/candidates they like, and probably a show of interest. That interest is further vetted through the essay.

For some of you, especially those with good numbers who didn't write the Why Michigan essay, it could come off like you really don't have much interest. I mean, honestly, I thought that that was probably the easiest of the essay choices. I don't think it's that hard to write. And if you didn't send any essays, that would be a huge red flag.

I have a feeling that many of you with sincere interest and good numbers will eventually get in, especially if you take the opportunity to express that interest through any additional materials. And then for those that do get in, with the numbers I've seen, I see no reason why a Dean Scholarship ($45k, 67K) wouldn't be coming your way. Michigan does seem to have a very numbers based approach for how the Deans are given out...

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
owhlcn wrote:Also received the hold email -- applied 10/26, GPA at 75th, LSAT >> 75th, no Why Mich
Yeah, this is looking more and more like YP...
Got the "hold" email today. I'm a Black Male with a 3.4 from Cornell and a 159 LSAT. This really doesn't look like a YP scenario based on my numbers if that's what people are thinking. Also this doesn't seem like the typical deferral from most schools. To me it sounds like they just want more time. It's not like they're waitlisting us. Does anyone know how most people who received this email last cycle ended up. Also are moat people sending in LOCI or just waiting?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
owhlcn wrote:Also received the hold email -- applied 10/26, GPA at 75th, LSAT >> 75th, no Why Mich
Yeah, this is looking more and more like YP...
Got the "hold" email today. I'm a Black Male with a 3.4 from Cornell and a 159 LSAT. This really doesn't look like a YP scenario based on my numbers if that's what people are thinking. Also this doesn't seem like the typical deferral from most schools. To me it sounds like they just want more time. It's not like they're waitlisting us. Does anyone know how most people who received this email last cycle ended up. Also are moat people sending in LOCI or just waiting?
I don't remember there being an email like this last cycle, at least not this early...

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Got the hold.

3.19/170/URM No Why Mich

Must wait more in the game of chess...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Kakarot wrote:
poprox wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I dunno what to make of Michigan. Part of me still believes they just changed the admitted students site. I mean a lot of us are above 75% numbers. Odd to be rejections or even waitlists. Especially with Dean Pless saying how little applications are up. I would also find it odd being as I have only been complete since 12/18 and excluding the break thats only around 2 weeks at complete to get a rejection. They must have hated me.

I have already accepted a rejection letter is coming. Sorry for the holds today. Hopefully you will get in.

Has anyone got anything in the mail from the 1/11 batch? My mail already came today and nothing.
My mail hasn't arrived yet. Are you willing to share numbers? (at least LSAT score if nothing else)
PM sent.

+1 to those hearing nothing.
1/11 decision. No mail yet. Not keeping my hopes up. LSAT at median. GPA just under median. Wrote two essays.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Did anyone else get the we're-not-ready-to-make-a-decision email from michigan today? Is this a common update or is it a nice way of being held?
I received it as well

janer

New

Post by janer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Got the e-mail as well. Stats are above 75th percentile for both gpa and lsat. Visited the law school and wrote why Michigan. Don't know how else I can convey to them that I'm interested. :?

Eazy E

New

Post by Eazy E » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
EDIT: I just called and was explicitly told that it is not a hold, or a waitlist, or anything like that. "It is just a courtesy email to let you know that we are still working on your application and ask for your patience," is what I was told by the adcomm.
That's good news I suppose. But whatever they call it, the result for us is the same: no decision. Like I said, it beats a straight-up ding, but for those of us getting rejected or held other places, it still stings.

Good luck all!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I don't remember there being an email like this last cycle, at least not this early...
But that's just it. This cycle cannot be compared to last cycle.

boney09

New

Post by boney09 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Got the Big Envelope today!!! 1st school I've heard from!! 159/4.0 no Why Mich essay..caucasian/native american

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
But that's just it. This cycle cannot be compared to last cycle.
Well yea, which is why we don't know how those last cycle with this email (which I don't think existed) ended up...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:38 pm

boney09 wrote:Got the Big Envelope today!!! 1st school I've heard from!! 159/4.0 no Why Mich essay..caucasian/native american
Congrats! When did your status checker change?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

boney09

New

Post by boney09 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Thanks!! I think it was under review as of 1/5 and then had a decision status on 1/11 and got it in the mail today

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm

just got a hold email as well (176 / 3.6 / no Why Mich essay). applied right around Thanksgiving.

it definitely did not register with me that this was a hold email till I saw this thread. oh well. then again i dont really know what the significance of a hold email is -- is it basically like being put on a mini-waitlist that indicates the school kinda likes you, but not really?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Dear kittenmittons,

I'm just not that into you.

Michigan

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Dear kittenmittons,

I'm just not that into you.

Michigan
+1. Thanks for asking me to the dance, I'm definitely thinking about it. But let me just see who else asks me before I say yes, okay?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Someone called in and spoke to the admissions office and they explained that this email isn't a hold, a waitlisting, or a deferral. Everyone is anxious and overthinking this by a long shot. Nonetheless, is anyone planning on doing anything other than waiting, like sending in a LOCI?

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Got the e-mail as well, 171/3.75... might think about writing that Why Mich essay now...
Last edited by WhatUpKells on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:45 pm

boney09 wrote:Thanks!! I think it was under review as of 1/5 and then had a decision status on 1/11 and got it in the mail today
So 1/11 is not all rejections, i guess. Tell me to stop hoping!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

boney09 wrote:Thanks!! I think it was under review as of 1/5 and then had a decision status on 1/11 and got it in the mail today

michigan doesn't have an "under review" status.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

For anyone who did not see this:
I called and was explicitly told that it is not a hold, or a waitlist, or anything like that.

"It is just a courtesy email to let you know that we are still working on your application and ask for your patience," is what I was told by the adcomm.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 pm

PMed you, can you get into the admitted student's site and did you before today?
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTC87

New

Post by MTC87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:For anyone who did not see this:
I called and was explicitly told that it is not a hold, or a waitlist, or anything like that.

well this totally backfired then, cause the email just caused me to lose all hope in and jump ship entirely. wtg Mich!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Kakarot wrote:
PMed you, can you get into the admitted students site and did you before today?
x2 - can you login to the admitted students website?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”