michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby MahaloMontana » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I also received the hold email. I applied RD at the end of november. LSAT >75%, GPA > median.

I realized that there had been a glaring typo in my PS (ugh) so I resent it last night, and also included a second additional essay, which I had not included originally. I must have sensed the hold coming.

No Why Michigan specific essay. Now I suppose I should have used the second one for that.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm not sure they are all YP, haha:

LSAT below 25th
GPA almost at 75th

plz mich <3

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
owhlcn wrote:Also received the hold email -- applied 10/26, GPA at 75th, LSAT >> 75th, no Why Mich

Yeah, this is looking more and more like YP...


anyone sending additional stuff? i've got my updated transcript in at LSAC but the thought of writing more "compelling" essays about myself/soliciting more recs etc makes me sort of nauseous

texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby texasgirl22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 pm

just got the held email also, submitted 11/2. 168/3.84. no why mich.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Just got hold email. 173/3.8

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby dakatz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Got the hold email and I don't see it as a bad thing. I expect them to hold back borderline URM candidates, so this is nothing unexpected for me, and I don't think it is a negative omen necessarily.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby wackjickham » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Just got hold email. 173/3.8


Okay now I'm assuming one must be on its way for me. There's no way I'm the only person left out of this... it would seem every person who applied in before early November has heard something one way or another, whether it's a decision or a hold.

User avatar
bluejayk
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bluejayk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 pm

just got the e-mail that I guess everyone is calling the hold e-mail.. nice to hear something, I'm impatient but don't really expect anything anytime soon, and not really expecting an offer of admission; applied, nov 10th or so, 3.4/173, no why michigan essay.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Also got the email. High LSAT splitter. Wrote "why" essay.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eazy E
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Eazy E » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Hold e-mail today. 3.8/170. I guess it beats a rejection.

User avatar
rhapsodyinazul
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby rhapsodyinazul » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Held, 171/3.9. Submitted late November, no Why Mich.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby capitalacq » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:58 pm

maggiebre wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
owhlcn wrote:Also received the hold email -- applied 10/26, GPA at 75th, LSAT >> 75th, no Why Mich

Yeah, this is looking more and more like YP...


And it's showing how important the Why Mich can be

not really the case...

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby oneforship » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm

wackjickham wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Just got hold email. 173/3.8


Okay now I'm assuming one must be on its way for me. There's no way I'm the only person left out of this... it would seem every person who applied in before early November has heard something one way or another, whether it's a decision or a hold.


I still haven't heard.

secant
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby secant » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Also got the hold email. High LSAT splitter. Wrote "why" essay.
Last edited by secant on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Amelie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:00 pm

capitalacq wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:
owhlcn wrote:Also received the hold email -- applied 10/26, GPA at 75th, LSAT >> 75th, no Why Mich

Yeah, this is looking more and more like YP...


And it's showing how important the Why Mich can be

not really the case...


I think it could make the difference between a person with YP numbers who was held, versus a person with YP numbers who is awarded the Darrow...

User avatar
Shaggier1
Posts: 721
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 5ky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Got the hold email about 20 minutes ago. 171/3.94, wrote a Why Mich. Sigh.

Edit: Applied 10/27
Last edited by 5ky on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

maggiebre wrote:I think it could make the difference between a person with YP numbers who was held, versus a person with YP numbers who is awarded the Darrow...


I am guessing that this email means no chance at the darrow anyway for "held" or whatever applicants, so maybe it's better to just ignore it and get dinged.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Amelie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?


No, I think you're about right.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?


Well its really close to the Penn wording for their hold email

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 5ky » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?


Well its really close to the Penn wording for their hold email


Well, we're together on this one, 0L. Michigan hold for the loss.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby calicocat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm

5ky wrote:Got the hold email about 20 minutes ago. 171/3.94, wrote a Why Mich. Sigh.

Edit: Applied 10/27

Shit. I'm getting seriously nervous about this cycle.

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I also just got the email.

I really do not see why everyone is calling it a "hold" email. I associate "hold" with "defer," whereas this just seems like, "sorry we have not reached a decision yet. We know you applied early, and we are doing the best we can to get you a response ASAP!"

Am I missing something...?


the fact that they already looked at our applications is the key point here. if it was more like "sorry, but there are so many apps that we havent gotten to yours yet," i'd agree with you. that they decided for one reason or another to hold off, probably in order to get a better sense of the entire applicant pool, makes this effectively a deferral.

if this is really a yp situation, i feel like a trip to ann arbor coupled with a well-written why mich essay could seal the deal.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

owhlcn
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 pm

puppins wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I think it could make the difference between a person with YP numbers who was held, versus a person with YP numbers who is awarded the Darrow...


I am guessing that this email means no chance at the darrow anyway for "held" or whatever applicants, so maybe it's better to just ignore it and get dinged.


that's what I'm thinking...at this point I was holding out on Mich mostly for the prospect of some $$...might just let it sit.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby puppleberry finn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

owhlcn wrote:
puppins wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I think it could make the difference between a person with YP numbers who was held, versus a person with YP numbers who is awarded the Darrow...


I am guessing that this email means no chance at the darrow anyway for "held" or whatever applicants, so maybe it's better to just ignore it and get dinged.


that's what I'm thinking...at this point I was holding out on Mich mostly for the prospect of some $$...might just let it sit.


yeah. oh well.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], joezze, katthegreat11, Lawschool305, patrickkpaul, Tomthecat, ZEROL27 and 32 guests