michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I thought dean z said midnight.

AFAIK, she only said that it updated once per day, didn't think she gave a specific time. I pulled a couple all-nighters last semester, I really seem to remember it switching over to the new day sometime around 8-9 in the morning (I am sad).

I just checked she never said midnight... So I believe Helmholtz.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I thought dean z said midnight.

AFAIK, she only said that it updated once per day, didn't think she gave a specific time. I pulled a couple all-nighters last semester, I really seem to remember it switching over to the new day sometime around 8-9 in the morning (I am sad).

I just checked she never said midnight... So I believe Helmholtz.

Damn, I wanna believe the happier theory

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:36 pm

does admitted student site actually update on time? cuz for georgetown, it takes 2-3 weeks until i finally was able to access admitted site after being admitted. Is michigan like that too or wut. Anyone?

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Anyone willing to critique a Why Michigan? for me? If yes, please PM me. Thanks.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm

jc1988 wrote:does admitted student site actually update on time? cuz for georgetown, it takes 2-3 weeks until i finally was able to access admitted site after being admitted. Is michigan like that too or wut. Anyone?

In the past you could access admitted students site before you even went decision rendered. It may still be that way and we are all WL or rejected. Which is most likely. Just strange given how high our numbers are.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 pm

jc1988 wrote:does admitted student site actually update on time? cuz for georgetown, it takes 2-3 weeks until i finally was able to access admitted site after being admitted. Is michigan like that too or wut. Anyone?

Most people have been able to log onto the AS site 2-3 days before the status checker changes to decision.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Most people have been able to log onto the AS site 2-3 days before the status checker changes to decision.

And last year on this Monday in Jan it was a bloodbath for Michigan applicants... So chances are we are the bloody this year. Just strange.

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

bye bye michigan....it's one of my fav programs actually cuz they have a supreb chinese legal program there. :( this is a sad day.
Last edited by jc1988 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Kakarot wrote:

In the past you could access admitted students site before you even went decision rendered. It may still be that way and we are all WL or rejected. Which is most likely. Just strange given how high our numbers are.

Yeah, at least one person with the 1/11 decision date has been able to log in.

jc1988

Postby jc1988 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm

dk8 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Yeah, at least one person with the 1/11 decision date has been able to log in.

this is depressing.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm so scared. It's seriously eerie that I haven't heard from anyone. *goes to read "what if you are rejected everywhere* blog on TLS*
Last edited by calicocat on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I think you are a shoe in at Duke which is practically equal to Michigan despite what most [strike]TLS'ers[/strike] lawyers, judges, law professors, and students think.

ftfy

Surprisingly good nlj250 placement, though. Well, at least back before the world went down the shitter.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

indeed. i've gotten over it though.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 pm

boilercat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I think you are a shoe in at Duke which is practically equal to Michigan despite what most [strike]TLS'ers[/strike] lawyers, judges, law professors, and students think.

ftfy

Surprisingly good nlj250 placement, though. Well, at least back before the world went down the shitter.

I'll give you that sometimes they get overlooked on here, but it seems to me that Duke is to Michigan as Michigan is to Chicago. Maybe not a huge difference, but still a gap exists.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 pm

I just think that people would kill for a Duke acceptance (Michigan too). The difference is rather minimal. In the end, it isn't the school that makes the lawyer, it's the person. Someone who graduates from Michigan with shitty work product will not fare better than someone who kills it with a Duke degree. We overlook this entirely too much on this site. NYU was my number 1 but I got deferred and now Michigan is looking very good. So is Duke. I'm a little upset, but I know that how I perform will ultimately dictate my future.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:06 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:The difference is rather minimal. In the end, it isn't the school that makes the lawyer, it's the person. Someone who graduates from Michigan with shitty work product will not fare better than someone who kills it with a Duke degree. We overlook this entirely too much on this site.

No one is disagreeing with you. What Helm was saying is that someone who kills it at Michigan slightly > someone who kills it at Duke. And someone who is average at Michigan is slightly > someone who is average at Duke.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:10 pm

boilercat wrote:
No one is disagreeing with you. What Helm was saying is that someone who kills it at Michigan slightly > someone who kills it at Duke. And someone who is average at Michigan is slightly > someone who is average at Duke.

yeah, that's assuming that the LSAT and UGPA actually do accurately predict how smart or competitive one will be as a law student (and human being in general LOOL)

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 pm

boilercat wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:The difference is rather minimal. In the end, it isn't the school that makes the lawyer, it's the person. Someone who graduates from Michigan with shitty work product will not fare better than someone who kills it with a Duke degree. We overlook this entirely too much on this site.

I would be willing to bet that if you kill it at either school your opportunities will be practically the same (as in level of prestige). If average, you may have better options at Duke considering the class size actually.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

ftfy

I'll give you that sometimes they get overlooked on here, but it seems to me that Duke is to Michigan as Michigan is to Chicago. Maybe not a huge difference, but still a gap exists.

I would agree with this, especially since most seem to think that wrt to rankings Michigan is a bit underrated.

If I hypothetically got into both, I'd probably choose Mich, primarily because it's a 3.5 hour drive from home and it places well on the West Coast. Duke is really high on my list though because of its class size, biglaw placement, temperate climate, and for me somewhere like Atlanta is a decent substitute for the West Coast. I'm also happy with them right now because they gave me priority track. :mrgreen:

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

SanBun wrote:
boilercat wrote:

yeah, that's assuming that the LSAT and UGPA actually do accurately predict how smart or competitive one will be as a law student (and human being in general LOOL)

Who said anything about any of that? I was talking about perception (and, to a lesser degree, job placement).
Last edited by los blancos on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

SanBun wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Wait, what? Why do we have to assume that? I'm assuming boilercat's ">" was in reference to career prospects, not worth as a person.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
SanBun wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Wait, what? Why do we have to assume that? I'm assuming boilercat's ">" was in reference to career prospects, not worth as a person.

Law school admission = worth as a person...We all know that Helm :P

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Oli wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
SanBun wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Law school admission = worth as a person...We all know that Helm :P

aaw ok thought you were talking about smartness/ quality of students.

whatever, we'll all die anyways. (just my way of dealing with the impending mich rejection)

and i was kidding as worth as a person- silliness, anyone?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 pm

SanBun wrote:and i was kidding as worth as a person- silliness, anyone?

Hehe you never really know on this site. :mrgreen:

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:11 am

What does everyone's "Admissions Communications" list on the admitted students site? I was accepted previously, and it listed the two items mailed to me (admit packet and housing packet). However, it now shows nothing except my personal information.

Just curious if this is similar for others. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”