michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uganik

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby uganik » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:39 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
sharthree wrote:THE STATUS UPDATES EACH DAY. Every day...every day. Except weekends.

Thanks, but a lot of people are saying it was either 1/9 or 1/11. 1/9 being a saturday...

so since i didn't check the status until today, there's no way to tell if i'm of the 1/9 or 1/11 wave?

Nope, no way to really tell. Statuses update every day except for Sundays.

Did any of the 1/11 people check over the weekend? There might only be one real wave, so to speak.

I can't be certain of this, but I'm pretty sure that I logged in on Saturday and saw "Early Decision/No Decision"
and that it now says "Decision" 1/11.

I cannot log into to the admitted students site which, at least until mid December, was the sure sign of an admittance :cry:

I would suspect that it could be a waitlist due to the fact that I requested they hold my file until my Feb LSAT score comes in. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to log into the site as a waitlist.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:42 pm

uganik wrote:
thalassocrat wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
finalaspects wrote:Thanks, but a lot of people are saying it was either 1/9 or 1/11. 1/9 being a saturday...

so since i didn't check the status until today, there's no way to tell if i'm of the 1/9 or 1/11 wave?

Nope, no way to really tell. Statuses update every day except for Sundays.

Did any of the 1/11 people check over the weekend? There might only be one real wave, so to speak.

I can't be certain of this, but I'm pretty sure that I logged in on Saturday and saw "Early Decision/No Decision"
and that it now says "Decision" 1/11.

I cannot log into to the admitted students site which, at least until mid December, was the sure sign of an admittance :cry:

I would suspect that it could be a waitlist due to the fact that I requested they hold my file until my Feb LSAT score comes in. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to log into the site as a waitlist.

According to them they send e-mails for waitlists and the status checker also would indicate a waitlist.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 pm

1/12 (the second monday of the month) looks like it was a real bloodbath last year according to LSN. According the users: 18 rejections, 1 waitlist, and one acceptance. Then again, this year's cycle has so far been different in a number of ways from last's.

Split5

Postby Split5 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Just called. They said that Waitlist would not appear until later, so "Decision" now could end up being "Waitlist". Also asked about ASW and got the standard "ASW has no bearing on your decision whatsoever". He ignored my question about whether they had changed the system recently.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:49 pm

starstruck393 wrote:You guys are putting way too much thought into this. A difference of two days, over a weekend? Come on.

I'm 99% positive that the menial tasks like compiling information into applicant profiles and making updates are done by clerical workers, not admissions officers, and I'm say 90% confident that those clerical works work weekends in busy times like these. Unless there turns out to be some trend that indicates otherwise, I'd essentially put money down that there was one big batch of decisions, and for some of you the workers got your profiles updated in time for Saturday, and for the rest they didn't get them in for Saturday, so they rolled to Monday.

As an admitted student I've been having issues with the ASW myself, and like I posted before, I really wouldn't be surprised if they did something to curtail ASW decisions, and will give people access later...

Most schools actually categorize decisions in batches. Certain dates are usually all rejections and others are all acceptances. Some are mixed but many schools actually do this. Cornell does it for sure, I believe fordham as well. Knowing what wave you're in can usually indicate what your decision is.

Of course there are exceptions and some schools don't categorize by waves/batches on certain dates.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Split5 wrote:Just called. They said that Waitlist would not appear until later, so "Decision" now could end up being "Waitlist". Also asked about ASW and got the standard "ASW has no bearing on your decision whatsoever". He ignored my question about whether they had changed the system recently.

You should get a medal for your bravery ;)

Thanks for the info. Sorta-good news.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Split5 wrote:Just called. They said that Waitlist would not appear until later, so "Decision" now could end up being "Waitlist". Also asked about ASW and got the standard "ASW has no bearing on your decision whatsoever". He ignored my question about whether they had changed the system recently.

Why asw?? What does it stand for?

Thanks for reporting back to us.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Why asw??

must mean admitted students website, not weekend.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Just got decision 1/11. I'm 3.5 171. Not even gonna try to log into the ASW, I'll just wait for the ding to come in the mail.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:You guys are putting way too much thought into this. A difference of two days, over a weekend? Come on.

I'm 99% positive that the menial tasks like compiling information into applicant profiles and making updates are done by clerical workers, not admissions officers, and I'm say 90% confident that those clerical works work weekends in busy times like these. Unless there turns out to be some trend that indicates otherwise, I'd essentially put money down that there was one big batch of decisions, and for some of you the workers got your profiles updated in time for Saturday, and for the rest they didn't get them in for Saturday, so they rolled to Monday.

As an admitted student I've been having issues with the ASW myself, and like I posted before, I really wouldn't be surprised if they did something to curtail ASW decisions, and will give people access later...

Most schools actually categorize decisions in batches. Certain dates are usually all rejections and others are all acceptances. Some are mixed but many schools actually do this. Cornell does it for sure, I believe fordham as well. Knowing what wave you're in can usually indicate what your decision is.

Of course there are exceptions and some schools don't categorize by waves/batches on certain dates.

I have no doubt this is the case, but to say that one batch came out on Saturday, and one on Monday, is stretching it a little I think. If it was a whole week, then yeah, maybe, but two days, one of which I don't believe they update on (Sunday), I just don't but that.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Kakarot wrote:

In this case, I believe it is Admitted Students Website.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm

starstruck393 wrote:I have no doubt this is the case, but to say that one batch came out on Saturday, and one on Monday, is stretching it a little I think. If it was a whole week, then yeah, maybe, but two days, one of which I don't believe they update on (Sunday), I just don't but that.

True, plus I'm 99.99% sure im rejected so yea there's that.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:56 pm

Ok, I was in the 1/9 batch, able to log onto the ASW, but I'm not actually at my mailing address until this weekend. Hoping that just means I'm in.

Anyway, anyone who has received their packet, can you tell me if they offer travel stipends to attend their admitted students days? I'm so pumped to fly up there and freeze my arse off!

Anyone planning on attending the first preview days? I was planning on visiting Cornell that weekend, but I'd rather visit Michigan (only have so many vacation days, so I gotta make a choice).

amandap

Postby amandap » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:56 pm

I got decision today. I tried to log into the admitted students site, but could not. I am assuming I was rejected.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

In this case, I believe it is Admitted Students Website.

Yea I feel stupid now.. I realize why.

I am probably waitlisted. Looking at LSN it looks likely.

Did they say if they would e-mail waitlisted people?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

beesknees wrote:Ok, I was in the 1/9 batch, able to log onto the ASW, but I'm not actually at my mailing address until this weekend. Hoping that just means I'm in.

Anyway, anyone who has received their packet, can you tell me if they offer travel stipends to attend their admitted students days? I'm so pumped to fly up there and freeze my arse off!

Anyone planning on attending the first preview days? I was planning on visiting Cornell that weekend, but I'd rather visit Michigan (only have so many vacation days, so I gotta make a choice).

Michigan does not give out travel stipends.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102436

Split5

Postby Split5 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:58 pm

beesknees wrote:Ok, I was in the 1/9 batch, able to log onto the ASW, but I'm not actually at my mailing address until this weekend. Hoping that just means I'm in.

Were you able to log in on Saturday?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Helmholtz wrote:

Michigan does not give out travel stipends.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=102436

edit: but I do think they offer a chance for you to stay in a shared room for $20/night if that's your type of thing

stoicjustice

Postby stoicjustice » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:03 pm

I don't mean to ruin anyone's day but my checker went to "decision" today as well and I am about 99% positive that I will be rejected........just for those of you who think that it is a "batch" of similar decisions.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Couldn't log in to ASW. Thinking its a rejection--as MIchigan was a reach.

Good luck!

uofmsbiggestfan

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

I was an ED applicant. I think mine changed to decision today it could have been earlier I haven't been checking...but my numbers are pretty bad too so it doesn't look good :(

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

uofmsbiggestfan wrote:I was an ED applicant. I think mine changed to decision today it could have been earlier I haven't been checking...but my numbers are pretty bad too so it doesn't look good :(

You were ED->RD and now a decision! oh man...I better check

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:15 pm

uofmsbiggestfan wrote:I was an ED applicant. I think mine changed to decision today it could have been earlier I haven't been checking...but my numbers are pretty bad too so it doesn't look good :(

let's all get drunk!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

SanBun wrote:

let's all get drunk!

I have to wait till payday. But otherwise +1

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

still at "Early Decision - No Decision" :|

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”