michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bighead715

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bighead715 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:She did say she tries to steer clear of online prelaw forums because of profanity and rude comments

Good because I use my real name on xoxo

Fuck her! If you're reading this bitch, bite me!

i know youre joking, but hmmm...tasteful?

anyways,

Z probably wanted that posted to stop the calls flooding in and distracting their office...i remember when i was able to log into the AS site, i immediately called their office and asked the dumb question. "DOES THAT MEAN I'M IN?!" The very annoyed adcomm said, "No." I said, "k, bai." 3 days later, i received the packet and jumped for joy.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:08 pm

bighead715 wrote:i know youre joking, but hmmm...tasteful?

anyways,

Z probably wanted that posted to stop the calls flooding in and distracting their office...i remember when i was able to log into the AS site, i immediately called their office and asked the dumb question. "DOES THAT MEAN I'M IN?!" The very annoyed adcomm said, "No." I said, "k, bai." 3 days later, i received the packet and jumped for joy.

This is all your fault then

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 pm

kittenmittons wrote:

anyways,

srsly, fail

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:10 pm

kittenmittons wrote:

anyways,

+1

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh... NM. I'm not applying to Michigan. Hell, I doubt I'm even going to law school. Carry on.

gotmilk?

Postby gotmilk? » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

luckily, i've only done so once a day. but this freaks me out nonetheless.

michigan, just take it as a sign for how much i love you. please?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:I think what she was saying was that they go to a lot of trouble to give everyone a letter and formal packet because they are just as excited about giving an acceptance as you are to recieve one. So in their eyes its as though you are trying to get around or scam the system by finding out sooner. Also, they apparently have been getting a ton of phone calls from people regarding the site (many many per day) and it is really annoying to them. She mentioned because of all this I think they are changing the way they do it next year.

I guess I get that. I still definitely think "scam" is a little harsh but I get their irritation with the phone calls. I guess personally I would just be equally excited to get my packet after finding out online as opposed to just getting my packet.

I would think the easy solution would be to create a random username and password that gets mailed out to accepted applicants, so there's no default username/password that non-admitted people could guess.

I was just thinking that the other day, or at least the random password part. I wish they'd do it like Duke and send an email first and a package later.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:15 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:I think what she was saying was that they go to a lot of trouble to give everyone a letter and formal packet because they are just as excited about giving an acceptance as you are to recieve one. So in their eyes its as though you are trying to get around or scam the system by finding out sooner. Also, they apparently have been getting a ton of phone calls from people regarding the site (many many per day) and it is really annoying to them. She mentioned because of all this I think they are changing the way they do it next year.

I guess I get that. I still definitely think "scam" is a little harsh but I get their irritation with the phone calls. I guess personally I would just be equally excited to get my packet after finding out online as opposed to just getting my packet.

I would think the easy solution would be to create a random username and password that gets mailed out to accepted applicants, so there's no default username/password that non-admitted people could guess.

I was just thinking that the other day, or at least the random password part. I wish they'd do it like Duke and send an email first and a package later.

And honestly.... this is why the whole thing is moronic. They bring it all on themselves and then blame you.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

anyways,

+1

'twas part of my plan

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:42 pm

If it's true that they are monitoring the system and they can see how many times person X has logged in, then it's surely not a good thing for those applicants who tried to log in 50 times a day.

Think about it, imagine the committee is meeting (or whatever they do to decide) and they have two options: 171/3.8 John and 171/3.8 Jane. Jane has kept her cool, and maybe tried to log in three or four times in three months. John, on the other hand went apeshit and tried 50 times a day, to the point (if true) that his name is recognizable and remembered for his insanity. Even if they're both top notch applicants, that little memory is gonna be hanging there in Dean Z's mind. On some level, maybe even subconsciously, Jane's got the upper hand.

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:53 pm

But I really have OCD and I sit in front of a computer all day at work...

I am going to start biting my nails :(

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 pm

You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. I honestly DID try to log in to the admitted students site and did check my status 30+ times per day without fail in the twenty or so days between getting the checker and getting accepted. I don't think you're giving adcomms enough credit.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:59 pm

snickersnicker wrote:You guys are blowing this way out of proportion. I honestly DID try to log in to the admitted students site and did check my status 30+ times per day without fail in the twenty or so days between getting the checker and getting accepted. I don't think you're giving adcomms enough credit.

HE'S A WITCH!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!

beamsmehome

Postby beamsmehome » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:00 pm

bighead715 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

anyways,

+1

'twas part of my plan

Don't worry guys, I tried logging into the admitted students site and got the red text... until I didn't! The point is that it's not going to keep you out. How much work would it be for them to link our applications to our silly online ids, and to what, keep it in a database that updates daily?

Everybody relax and grab a beer, it's Friday.

edit - to clarify
Last edited by beamsmehome on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:HE'S A WITCH!!! BURN THE WITCH!!!

She turned me into a newt.........

I got better

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:03 pm

I've never done anything tasteful in my life.

And sckon? FACE PALM ME????? Well I NEVER! I put a hex you.

Postby 06072010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Dean Z et al. If you indeed read here, I'm a 3L and I'd like to thank you from the very bottom of my heart for admitting me. It is pure coincidence that my arrival coincided with the collapse of the football team. Please do not retroactively ding me. It's really not my fault.

Please have mercy on the Michigan haters in this thread and please take OCD status checking as a sign of genuine love and interest in our fine school, especially when our football team is so bad. I mean, they could always go to such football powerhouses as UVA, Northwestern, and Cornell. BWahahhahahahaha. Almost had you there.

If any of my professors check this thread, please give me an address and how much an A would cost. I'm kidding. That sounds like bribery. Like I have any money. Are in-kind exchanges okay? I do windows.

<3 <3 <3 PK

Zearfoss

Postby Zearfoss » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello all--

Oy. I feel terrible about all the apparent anxiety I unintentionally engineered. In my telephone call with the original poster, I did indeed ask him to post some information, but I'm afraid a lot got lost in the translation. I hope this format works a little better, and that I am able to clear up some confusion.

First, and most importantly: I am not mad about people trying to log in! We are not tracking people. We are not penalizing people. Nothing untoward along those lines is occurring.

Now, some background: yesterday we received an email from an applicant telling us that he had tried to log into the site and had been successful for 20 minutes. He tried again, though, and could not log in. Was he, he wanted to know, admitted or not? well--he wasn't admitted. So if he had been able to log in, as he said, that would have indicated a serious problem with our site. I asked one member of my staff to get the specific details from him, and another member to confab with the IT staff and see what the story was. As a result of all this investigating, we learned that the candidate in question had actually tried to log in an extraordinary number of times--many, many times a day, every day for more than a month. We also learned that while a number of people had tried to log in, he had done so about 100 times more than anyone else--and that only a handful of people had tried to log in a number of times that struck us really unusual. But we didn't go piecing together who all those people were, nor did we have any interest in contacting them--we only wanted to respond to the original candidate. In any event, the upshot of the investigation was the IT staff's firm conviction that the site was working exactly as it should, and people who weren't admitted would not be able to log on.

So I called the candidate, and explained what I had learned. I also explained that the site only refreshed once a day, so multiple daily log-in attempts weren't worthwhile. And then I explained why we have the system we do (about which I can post later), and that while we don't mind people trying to log in, we just have an old-fashioned hope that they will learn of their admission through a big exciting packet in the mail, rather than a website--but that I understand there's a generation gap there. And finally, I explained how this year's new phenomenon of checking has led to some unforeseen consequences: namely, people calling us to say, "I logged in; am I admitted?," and relatedly, emailing us a lot to ask when they'll get their status check email. Both of those, particularly in a year where we're seeing an increase in applicants, have been absolutely crushing to our workload; we're actually processing apps more slowly, and making decisions more slowly, because of the increased work in these other areas.

And finally--I asked him to explain all this on TLS, which is where he told me he'd gotten the log-in idea in the first place. And so here we are.

This is my first time ever posting on TLS or similar sites, and I am hopeful that we can clear this up and I can get back to reading my apps and leaving all of you in peace. I'm off now to drive my children to various evening activities, but I'll check back later to see if other questions need answering!

(I have been advised to tell you all that I won't be monitoring my TLS message inbox. In other words, you'll be free of me after this.)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm

:shock:

now I feel very silly with this tar...

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Dean Zearfoss, thanks so much for the post clearing this up. You taking the time out of your day to post on here is immensely appreciated and helpfulness is something I've come to expect from your office.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Dean Zearfoss, thanks so much for the post clearing this up. You taking the time out of your day to post on here is immensely appreciated and helpfulness is something I've come to expect from your office.

+1 and my LSAC # is L27857238 and I <3 Mich with an undying love

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:48 pm

wow, i was a little upset for a minute - but now my impression of michigan is even better than it was before. that was an awesome thing of her to do!

Postby 06072010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm going to be moderating this thread with an iron fist from here on out, so keep things cool.

Dean Z -- thank you for stopping by and I hope that you will continue to visit us and answer questions in the future. All that stuff I said about loving it here at Michigan is true and thanks again for admitting me to this wonderful community. Also, if you could do anything to stop the cold weather and snow until finals are done, that would be sweet.

Michiganapp2010

Postby Michiganapp2010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Zearfoss wrote:Hello all--

Oy. I feel terrible about all the apparent anxiety I unintentionally engineered. In my telephone call with the original poster, I did indeed ask him to post some information, but I'm afraid a lot got lost in the translation. I hope this format works a little better, and that I am able to clear up some confusion.

First, and most importantly: I am not mad about people trying to log in! We are not tracking people. We are not penalizing people. Nothing untoward along those lines is occurring.

Now, some background: yesterday we received an email from an applicant telling us that he had tried to log into the site and had been successful for 20 minutes. He tried again, though, and could not log in. Was he, he wanted to know, admitted or not? well--he wasn't admitted. So if he had been able to log in, as he said, that would have indicated a serious problem with our site. I asked one member of my staff to get the specific details from him, and another member to confab with the IT staff and see what the story was. As a result of all this investigating, we learned that the candidate in question had actually tried to log in an extraordinary number of times--many, many times a day, every day for more than a month. We also learned that while a number of people had tried to log in, he had done so about 100 times more than anyone else--and that only a handful of people had tried to log in a number of times that struck us really unusual. But we didn't go piecing together who all those people were, nor did we have any interest in contacting them--we only wanted to respond to the original candidate. In any event, the upshot of the investigation was the IT staff's firm conviction that the site was working exactly as it should, and people who weren't admitted would not be able to log on.

So I called the candidate, and explained what I had learned. I also explained that the site only refreshed once a day, so multiple daily log-in attempts weren't worthwhile. And then I explained why we have the system we do (about which I can post later), and that while we don't mind people trying to log in, we just have an old-fashioned hope that they will learn of their admission through a big exciting packet in the mail, rather than a website--but that I understand there's a generation gap there. And finally, I explained how this year's new phenomenon of checking has led to some unforeseen consequences: namely, people calling us to say, "I logged in; am I admitted?," and relatedly, emailing us a lot to ask when they'll get their status check email. Both of those, particularly in a year where we're seeing an increase in applicants, have been absolutely crushing to our workload; we're actually processing apps more slowly, and making decisions more slowly, because of the increased work in these other areas.

And finally--I asked him to explain all this on TLS, which is where he told me he'd gotten the log-in idea in the first place. And so here we are.

This is my first time ever posting on TLS or similar sites, and I am hopeful that we can clear this up and I can get back to reading my apps and leaving all of you in peace. I'm off now to drive my children to various evening activities, but I'll check back later to see if other questions need answering!

(I have been advised to tell you all that I won't be monitoring my TLS message inbox. In other words, you'll be free of me after this.)

As the original poster, I want to thank you for writing here and expanding on the phone conversation. The phone call was very informative as was this post. I hope people will understand the full reasons behind why you would not like them to call. I had thought you meant to say that you would greatly prefer it that people don't attempt to log into the site; however, as anxiety mounts while you were on the phone with a Dean I must have misinterpreted. Thank you again for coming on the site and explaining the situation fully.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Veritas wrote::shock:

now I feel very silly with this tar...

:lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”