michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:44 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:
2) They can see people who log into the admitted students site often and they have a negative view on people trying to "scan the system" and check the site

4) They wanted me to go on and tell the people of TLS not to log in anymore and that they will monitor the people who attempt to log in from now on.

She said that it is not how they want people to hear about their acceptance and they will try to stop people from hearing that way now.

I really respect Michigan and Dean Zearfoss, but the above honestly baffles me. I know that the admitted students site thing had been going on last year, and nothing like this happened. Does is slow down their system? Why wouldn't they want students to find out through the status checker that they got in?

Why do they look negatively on people who are obviously really anxious and excited to see what their admissions status is? Just seems sort of counter intuitive.

Does Helm vouch for this? lol

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I really respect Michigan and Dean Zearfoss, but the above honestly baffles me. I know that the admitted students site thing had been going on last year, and nothing like this happened. Does is slow down their system? Why wouldn't they want students to find out through the status checker that they got in?

Why do they look negatively on people who are obviously really anxious and excited to see what their admissions status is? Just seems sort of counter intuitive.

Agreed. This definitely makes me think worse of Michigan--if you don't want people checking their status, don't give status checkers. If you don't want people trying to figure out if they've been admitted, and checking periodically, well, maybe you shouldn't take so long to admit people. And if they weren't being such a black box, not reviewing apps in order of submission, waiting to give decisions until who knows when, then maybe people wouldn't be "neurotic"
Last edited by puppleberry finn on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:46 pm

puppins wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:I really respect Michigan and Dean Zearfoss, but the above honestly baffles me. I know that the admitted students site thing had been going on last year, and nothing like this happened. Does is slow down their system? Why wouldn't they want students to find out through the status checker that they got in?

Agreed. This definitely makes me think worse of Michigan--if you don't want people checking their status, don't give status checkers. If you don't want people trying to figure out if they've been admitted, and checking periodically, well, maybe you shouldn't take so long to admit people.

or maybe make the admitted students site private?

+1 pupps

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm

The Zearfoss correspondent is indeed, a longtime poster who I personally trust. If this is for some reason a cruel practical joke on his/her part, he/she will be banned for eternity, but I really don't think that to be the case.

Michiganapp2010

Postby Michiganapp2010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
I really respect Michigan and Dean Zearfoss, but the above honestly baffles me. I know that the admitted students site thing had been going on last year, and nothing like this happened. Does is slow down their system? Why wouldn't they want students to find out through the status checker that they got in?

I think what she was saying was that they go to a lot of trouble to give everyone a letter and formal packet because they are just as excited about giving an acceptance as you are to recieve one. So in their eyes its as though you are trying to get around or scam the system by finding out sooner. Also, they apparently have been getting a ton of phone calls from people regarding the site (many many per day) and it is really annoying to them. She mentioned because of all this I think they are changing the way they do it next year.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:
2) They can see people who log into the admitted students site often and they have a negative view on people trying to "scan the system" and check the site

4) They wanted me to go on and tell the people of TLS not to log in anymore and that they will monitor the people who attempt to log in from now on.

She said that it is not how they want people to hear about their acceptance and they will try to stop people from hearing that way now.

agreed...seems like a kind of unsympathetic attitude.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Michiganapp2010

Postby Michiganapp2010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:The Zearfoss correspondent is indeed, a longtime poster who I personally trust. If this is for some reason a cruel practical joke on his/her part, he/she will be banned for eternity, but I really don't think that to be the case.

I promise it is not a practical joke and I really debated whether or not to post it up, but I wanted my fellow TLSrs to know the deal and she sincerely asked me to post and attempt to stop people from logging in.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:49 pm

puppins wrote:
Agreed. This definitely makes me think worse of Michigan--if you don't want people checking their status, don't give status checkers. If you don't want people trying to figure out if they've been admitted, and checking periodically, well, maybe you shouldn't take so long to admit people.

Haha, I get your frustration, but my real problem is the whole, "we'll be monitering people who really care about getting into our school and thinking about them negatively" thing. Just doesn't seem right. Its not like anyone is breaking some rule they told us.
Last edited by Pearalegal on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 pm

jayzon wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:a reputable TLSer.

Ha! You show me a reputable TLSer, and I'll show you the Easter Bunny banging Snow White.

Rule 34!

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm not worried. I only checked once or twice a day during weekdays. I'll still get WLed though

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Michiganapp2010 wrote:I think what she was saying was that they go to a lot of trouble to give everyone a letter and formal packet because they are just as excited about giving an acceptance as you are to recieve one. So in their eyes its as though you are trying to get around or scam the system by finding out sooner. Also, they apparently have been getting a ton of phone calls from people regarding the site (many many per day) and it is really annoying to them. She mentioned because of all this I think they are changing the way they do it next year.

I guess I get that. I still definitely think "scam" is a little harsh but I get their irritation with the phone calls. I guess personally I would just be equally excited to get my packet after finding out online as opposed to just getting my packet.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm

i would be surprised if they rejected people who would otherwise be admitted just because of this. i wouldn't worry too much. i'm sure its annoying for them so they want it to stop, but i doubt it will be a true factor in admissions.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Haha, I get your frustration, but my real problem is the whole, "we'll be monitering people who really care about getting into our school and thinking about them negatively" thing. Just doesn't seem right. Its not like anyone is breaking some rule they told us.

I mean, I am not pissed at CLS for waiting until Jan. to do RD. Anxious, sure, but not pissed. And I ignore that status checker because they, with their transparent and sensible admissions process, have designed it in such a way as to make that make sense. But Michigan didn't have to run a report, or make the site available before they notify people of admissions, or make it public. They don't have to "monitor" who tries to log on. All of this, after it took them three + weeks to even send a status checker at all? They think worse of me for wanting to know if I'm in? No. I think worse of them.
Last edited by puppleberry finn on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:53 pm

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:54 pm

urban_cdn wrote:i would be surprised if they rejected people who would otherwise be admitted just because of this. i wouldn't worry too much. i'm sure its annoying for them so they want it to stop, but i doubt it will be a true factor in admissions.

let's not dare them. :wink:

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 pm

tamlyric wrote:
urban_cdn wrote:i would be surprised if they rejected people who would otherwise be admitted just because of this. i wouldn't worry too much. i'm sure its annoying for them so they want it to stop, but i doubt it will be a true factor in admissions.

+1 sunshine

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:I think what she was saying was that they go to a lot of trouble to give everyone a letter and formal packet because they are just as excited about giving an acceptance as you are to recieve one. So in their eyes its as though you are trying to get around or scam the system by finding out sooner. Also, they apparently have been getting a ton of phone calls from people regarding the site (many many per day) and it is really annoying to them. She mentioned because of all this I think they are changing the way they do it next year.

I guess I get that. I still definitely think "scam" is a little harsh but I get their irritation with the phone calls. I guess personally I would just be equally excited to get my packet after finding out online as opposed to just getting my packet.

plus, for those of us who have our stuff mailed to our parents, it's more exciting to get into a website or see something on the status checker than to have your parents call you and either be so excited they steal your thunder, or nonchalantly mention the enormous package from 'michigan state, is it?' that got jammed in the mailbox this morning. especially since you can't physically see it.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Veritas wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

+1 sunshine

For once I will agree with Veritas :mrgreen:

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:56 pm

You know, until reading the above post I wasn't even aware that you could get in to the admitted students site early (if that's what this is all about--I'm letting Michigan take their time, I doubt I'm hearing anything before January from them).

But now that you've told me NOT to, it's awfully tempting...

I do personally wish that Michigan would conform and use the LSAC administered status system. It'd make going on to check my status there more enjoyable. It'd also keep people from trying to poke around finding holes if the AS site was more clearly restricted...

I have no idea why people call adcomms. They will never be able to tell you something you couldn't wait to find out. (excluding technical issues obviously--I'm talking about trivial calls like "waaahhhhh, I don't wannna wait for my accept/reject correspondance." Just seems like an easy way to get the people you are desperately needing to win over to hate you with the fire of a thousand suns.

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:57 pm

I definitely understand the sitch from their side - they go through a lot of trouble to prep a welcome packet for you with the intention of that being your first notification that you've been admitted, so if they feel "cheated" out of sending you a proper admit, I get that. And constant phone calls re: the site are definitely a bad thing and would annoy me.

But I also get the excitement of knowing that you could potentially log in at any moment and know that you're in. I've definitely checked it myself with that mindset.

And I do agree that the point of a status checker is to refresh it constantly, but that's not the thing in question here.

I'll be good; I'll stop. And my numbers will stop me from being admitted. Win-win.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:She did say she tries to steer clear of online prelaw forums because of profanity and rude comments

Good because I use my real name on xoxo

I LOVE that woman! If you're reading this nice lady, thank you!
Last edited by Mr. Matlock on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:01 pm

tamlyric wrote:

haha well obviously i didn't mean it like that. i was just trying to make people feel better :)

sckon

Postby sckon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Michiganapp2010 wrote:She did say she tries to steer clear of online prelaw forums because of profanity and rude comments

Good because I use my real name on xoxo

Fuck her! If you're reading this bitch, bite me!

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”