michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kmnska

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby kmnska » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:51 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
kmnska wrote:Just got my application received email (171, 3.28). Michigan's my top choice and I think I wrote a good "Why Michigan" essay so I'm hoping they'll overlook the low GPA.

They might. It's good you applied early. The spots for splitters and the more borderline candidates get used up quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a WL, but that's not the worst thing, as it gives you a great opportunity to expand on yourself and why you love Michigan...

Do you know if they take family history at Michigan, but not the law school into account? I made sure to mention the 10+ relatives I have who attended/are attending grad school or undergrad there, although none went for their jd.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:00 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
babin.6 wrote:When do they usually let their ED people know. I have strong numbers for UM (3.83 170) and want to know if I'm in or if I need to start dropping $ on more apps. Anyone know when they let you know, or how they let you know (via phone, e-mail)?

I think the first batch of acceptances (likely the EDs for sure) will go out right before Thanksgiving...

A Mich adcomm was at my UG last week and she said the first batch of decisions will be rolled out right before Thanksgiving. Seeing as I'm still not complete even though I applied 2 weeks ago! I doubt I'll be in that group.

rolark

Postby rolark » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:11 pm

Just a post so I can follow the thread . . .

Michigan is a reach for me (hopefully less so after I retake the LSAT). Good luck everyone.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 pm

kmnska wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
kmnska wrote:Just got my application received email (171, 3.28). Michigan's my top choice and I think I wrote a good "Why Michigan" essay so I'm hoping they'll overlook the low GPA.

They might. It's good you applied early. The spots for splitters and the more borderline candidates get used up quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a WL, but that's not the worst thing, as it gives you a great opportunity to expand on yourself and why you love Michigan...

Do you know if they take family history at Michigan, but not the law school into account? I made sure to mention the 10+ relatives I have who attended/are attending grad school or undergrad there, although none went for their jd.

Yea, while legacy at the law school is the best, they'll definitely consider legacy at Michigan in general. While it probably won't mean much (it's not going to add points to your GPA or LSAT like being a URM could), if they're splitting hairs between you and another applicant/s it could help in the decision...

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:34 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
babin.6 wrote:When do they usually let their ED people know. I have strong numbers for UM (3.83 170) and want to know if I'm in or if I need to start dropping $ on more apps. Anyone know when they let you know, or how they let you know (via phone, e-mail)?

I think the first batch of acceptances (likely the EDs for sure) will go out right before Thanksgiving...

A Mich adcomm was at my UG last week and she said the first batch of decisions will be rolled out right before Thanksgiving. Seeing as I'm still not complete even though I applied 2 weeks ago! I doubt I'll be in that group.

Oh, maybe I was wrong then about EDs. It seems like they'd address them first, and then move on to other applicants though (kind of the whole point of ED). You still have a few weeks until Thanksgiving, so I wouldn't be too worried yet. For me last cycle, it took at least two weeks to even get an acknowledgment that I applied, and over a month to go complete. Granted I applied later than you, at a busier time, but Michigan historically has more lag between going complete and being reviewed, as opposed to other schools where you go complete earlier and wait for months to hear anything back. If in another week or so you're still not complete, then I'd start to worry about not hearing in the first batch, though it says you will hear by December 15 at the latest which isn't that long after...

Postby 02082010 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Oh, maybe I was wrong then about EDs. It seems like they'd address them first, and then move on to other applicants though (kind of the whole point of ED). You still have a few weeks until Thanksgiving, so I wouldn't be too worried yet. For me last cycle, it took at least two weeks to even get an acknowledgment that I applied, and over a month to go complete. Granted I applied later than you, at a busier time, but Michigan historically has more lag between going complete and being reviewed, as opposed to other schools where you go complete earlier and wait for months to hear anything back. If in another week or so you're still not complete, then I'd start to worry about not hearing in the first batch, though it says you will hear by December 15 at the latest which isn't that long after...

I'm not ED at Mich but I would expect to hear by mid-December.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:52 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I'm not ED at Mich but I would expect to hear by mid-December.

Ah, mixed up the nested quotes...

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:05 pm

starstruck393 wrote:While I'm not positive, I'm pretty sure there's kind of a ceiling you hit as a law librarian without a JD. I mean it makes sense, law librarians are supposed to be knowledgeable on not only the cataloging of legal references, but also legal research and to an extent legal writing as well. If you look at the site showing the Staff of U of M's law library (http://www.law.umich.edu/library/info/about/Pages/bios.aspx), six out of twelve have JDs, with some even from Michigan Law. It also looks like those with JDs tend to be closer to the top in the hierarchy. I have a friend who went to law school, didn't like firm life and is now going back to get the MIS to be a law librarian. It's a fairly overlooked position in the legal world, and while not sounding as cool as working for a V10 firm, it seems like it would be a decent paying, stable job with good benefits, a lot better than struggling to make it on your own or with a small firm if you don't like the work you're doing...

Thanks a lot for your answer. That makes a lot of sense!

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:09 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Is that regular decision or ED? Are they already looking at both pools?

Postby 02082010 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:28 pm

jackassjim wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Is that regular decision or ED? Are they already looking at both pools?

Both. Yes.

The adcomm said they review both ED and RD together because they need to gauge the broader applicant pool when deciding who to admit ED. She made it seem as if all early apps (well at least the first batch) would get the decision right before Thanksgiving.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:48 pm

Michigan JD/MA ED here. Sent 10/16, received 10/22, extra materials (addenda and resume) received 10/24. My status checker still says incomplete, but I spoke with the Admissions Office today and they said I am, in fact, complete.

Hopefully that puts me in the 'first batch' or whatever. I would love to know around Thanksgiving. Anyone want to chance me? 166(x2)/3.99, Michigan resident, diversity statement about growing up in a poor/abusive household, really solid Why Michigan? essay, plenty of softs (resident advisor three years, graduating with triple honors, judicial appeals board, grade grievance committee, students with disabilities volunteer, three summers WE, etc, etc).

jackassjim

Postby jackassjim » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Both. Yes.

The adcomm said they review both ED and RD together because they need to gauge the broader applicant pool when deciding who to admit ED. She made it seem as if all early apps (well at least the first batch) would get the decision right before Thanksgiving.

Thanks! That's good news.

babin.6

Postby babin.6 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:01 pm

bnm
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:28 pm

I got the app received email last Thursday. Will I seriously have to wait another 2 weeks before receiving my status check email? That's pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I applied last cycle and used the same ID they gave me and it worked. My file is incomplete which is weird since they've had my LSDAS report for about a week. I guess things are just slow over there. But yeah, going back through my emails it was exactly 3 weeks to the day from the app received email to the status check email last cycle.

snickersnicker

Postby snickersnicker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I got the app received email last Thursday. Will I seriously have to wait another 2 weeks before receiving my status check email? That's pretty ridiculous.

Edit: I applied last cycle and used the same ID they gave me and it worked. My file is incomplete which is weird since they've had my LSDAS report for about a week. I guess things are just slow over there. But yeah, going back through my emails it was exactly 3 weeks to the day from the app received email to the status check email last cycle.

I got my status check within a few days of applying (10/16). However, as I said above, my status checker says I'm still incomplete, but I emailed and confirmed that I am, in fact, complete. I just think they're a bit slow in having the status checker reflect the actual status of applications.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Just submitted today.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:22 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Just submitted today.

hehe nope you think you will get into Michigan, I stand corrected

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:24 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Lol. No, but I think I stand more of a chance at Mich than HLS or CCN.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I have confidence in you

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:26 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I have confidence in you

:mrgreen:

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Got my app received e-mail today. It has been about a week since submitting.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Got my app received e-mail today. It has been about a week since submitting.

The Tiger tar thing that has carried over from the Sept LSAT has gotten really disturbing.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:35 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:Got my app received e-mail today. It has been about a week since submitting.

The Tiger tar thing that has carried over from the Sept LSAT has gotten really disturbing.

this.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Just got my status checker saying I'm complete!

Does anyone know when the non-ED decisions start rolling out?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:59 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:

We'll form the coolest cliques at our respective law schools. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”