michigan 2010 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby irishman86 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 pm

bowie8285 wrote:if you get accepted for Admit term: Spring/Summer 2010 what does this mean? are we allowed to change it to fall? or are we bound with summer?


You can ask for a deferral. From what I've heard, most of the time they are granted cuz the summer start is actually pretty popular. (one year they overenrolled for summer)

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby beamsmehome » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:02 pm

bowie8285 wrote:if you get accepted for Admit term: Spring/Summer 2010 what does this mean? are we allowed to change it to fall? or are we bound with summer?


It means that of the four entry sections for 2010, you'll be in the one that starts in the summer. It doesn't mean you're less qualified or anything like that.

On the Michigan app, you selected "summer or fall term" instead of "fall term only." I remember reading that the term is NOT necessarily transferable to the other. Once you actually get your package and whatnot you could call and ask.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby irishman86 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:07 pm

beamsmehome wrote:
bowie8285 wrote:if you get accepted for Admit term: Spring/Summer 2010 what does this mean? are we allowed to change it to fall? or are we bound with summer?


It means that of the four entry sections for 2010, you'll be in the one that starts in the summer. It doesn't mean you're less qualified or anything like that.

On the Michigan app, you selected "summer or fall term" instead of "fall term only." I remember reading that the term is NOT necessarily transferable to the other. Once you actually get your package and whatnot you could call and ask.


It says it is not transferable, but in reality it's pretty easy to get it changed. (Friends got it changed.)

User avatar
coollegemex
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby coollegemex » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Dean Sarah, after so much love with the personal note on the fee waiver I've been relegated with no contact for almost a month...submitted on 11/9. Just a status checker.. all I ask...

You are more responsive than NYU though so thanks for that!

User avatar
jackassjim
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby jackassjim » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 pm

coollegemex wrote:Dean Sarah, after so much love with the personal note on the fee waiver I've been relegated with no contact for almost a month...submitted on 11/9. Just a status checker.. all I ask...

You are more responsive than NYU though so thanks for that!


You're on first name basis already?

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Oli wrote:Anyone get a status checker today? that applied close to 11/14?


I applied 11/1 and haven't heard a thing since I got the confirmation email 11/5. *sigh* Too bad patience is NOT one of my virtues.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby danidancer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Hmm. Status checker "complete" updated from 12/2 to 12/4. I haven't been really following the Mich thread that closely - is there a consensus yet whether this means anything? FWIW, my numbers, unfortunately, make me borderline-reject.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 pm

danidancer wrote:Hmm. Status checker "complete" updated from 12/2 to 12/4. I haven't been really following the Mich thread that closely - is there a consensus yet whether this means anything? FWIW, my numbers, unfortunately, make me borderline-reject.


The date updates every day, doesn't mean a thing.

User avatar
danidancer
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby danidancer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
danidancer wrote:Hmm. Status checker "complete" updated from 12/2 to 12/4. I haven't been really following the Mich thread that closely - is there a consensus yet whether this means anything? FWIW, my numbers, unfortunately, make me borderline-reject.


The date updates every day, doesn't mean a thing.


Thanks Helm! Darn - thought maybe someone was actually looking at my app or something. Silly me. :lol:

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Kretzy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:26 am

For those of you who have been admitted via status checker, does it say "Fall 2010"? I applied for both Fall and Summer, and mine says "Spring/Summer 2010."

Just curious. Thanks!

beamsmehome
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby beamsmehome » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 am

Kretzy wrote:For those of you who have been admitted via status checker, does it say "Fall 2010"? I applied for both Fall and Summer, and mine says "Spring/Summer 2010."

Just curious. Thanks!



Mine says the same as you - Spring/Summer 2010.

User avatar
23fulltimecowboys
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 am

In at Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure when exactly but the packet was apparently mailed a few days ago!!!

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:42 am

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snickersnicker
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 am

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby snickersnicker » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:09 am

For those of you who got in spring/summer and are thinking about doing summer start, here's the Facebook group for the summer section: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=185832579302. Also, here's a page with a bunch of information about summer start for those of you who got it and don't know what it is: http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestudents/admissions/Pages/SummerStarters.aspx.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:12 am

23fulltimecowboys wrote:In at Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Super stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure when exactly but the packet was apparently mailed a few days ago!!!


Wow, you've had quite a good day. Didn't you get into Berkeley too?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:21 am

How long after getting the "received" email can one expect to go complete?

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:25 am

GeePee wrote:How long after getting the "received" email can one expect to go complete?


Seems to average between 3-4 weeks for most people.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:29 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
GeePee wrote:How long after getting the "received" email can one expect to go complete?


Seems to average between 3-4 weeks for most people.

That doesn't even make sense. Wow.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:34 am

GeePee wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
GeePee wrote:How long after getting the "received" email can one expect to go complete?


Seems to average between 3-4 weeks for most people.

That doesn't even make sense. Wow.


Well, apparently Michigan goes through the trouble of putting every single applicant into the school's system and assigning Michigan IDs to all of them. That's probably a big reason for the delay.

On the plus side, it seems like several people have heard back pretty quickly after going complete.

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:46 pm

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Veritas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:50 pm

bowie8285 wrote:is it even possible for USPS to get a packet to your house on 12/5 if it was mailed 12/3 ? i can't wait any longer! damn weekend

hahahahah

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:16 pm

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:27 pm

bowie8285 wrote:anyone have links to the old/historical rankings for mich? (i'm trying to explain to my parents the level of prestige mich has in the law community)


This was written by Brian Leiter, a professor at the University of Chicago:

Reputations die hard and are long in being born-especially among attorneys. In 1970, the top five law schools were Harvard, Yale, and Michigan, with Columbia, Stanford, and Chicago fighting it out for the remaining two spots. Penn was just on the cusp of the "top five," Virginia was clearly top ten, and then some mix of Duke, Northwestern, Texas, and Berkeley fought it out for the remaining top ten spots. Cornell was surely top 15, NYU might have been top 15, Vanderbilt was surely top 20, and Georgetown might have been top 20. UCLA was a brand new law school, just a half-dozen years old.


You'll also find some of these links interesting:
http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... oners.html
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ation.html
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2009 ... hing.shtml
http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2000 ... erks.shtml

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Postby bowie8285 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 pm

.
Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”