michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by xcountryjunkie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:39 pm

junelsat wrote:How do I check the admitted students website? My status says Decision, so I'd like to know. Do both acceptances and rejections go out via snail mail?
On the JD admissions page there is a link just above the one you clicked on to check your application status. Just use the same info that you used to check your status. Good luck!

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm

IN! (To the website). Any chance that I could get onto the website but not get in?

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:49 pm

junelsat wrote:IN! (To the website). Any chance that I could get onto the website but not get in?
Congrats! Whilst there is the technical possibility that you were able to log on without being admitted, it is extremely unlikely. Check the Mail & Money link on the Admitted Students' website; it should say when your admissions packet was mailed out, as well as to which term you were admitted.

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:58 pm

Not a technical mistake, says packet mailed out on 1/28. Thanks for the help!

So, anybody on this specific topic want to try to convince me why I should choose Michigan over Duke?

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:05 pm

jackassjim wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Woah.
Hehe!

Yeah, it's hard to (quickly and effortlessly) draw a graph with 3 dimensions without it looking a bit overwhelming like that. I'm sure I could have made it look cooler (maybe a 2d with bigger circles for bigger scholarships), but I just didn't bother playing with the default settings of the graphing software.

I still think this is pretty informative. It seems that if there are really graduated cut-off points with varying amounts of money, they really are LSAT cut-offs, not GPA ones. If they were really working with an index, then we would see gradually increasing clusters going from the lower-left to the upper-right, kind of like a diagonal spine separating the graph in two. Instead, we see the height of the points going up pretty uniformly across the board, from front to back. This seems to indicate that, when you reach about 3.5 in GPA, it's pretty much all LSAT.

Keep in mind that this is self-reported data from 2009, from LSN.
This is amazing, nice work!!! Is there any chance you've done this for other schools as well (I'm wondering about Duke and UVA in particular). Very awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Question - So does the dollar value on that graph represent an annual scholarship or the total amount that the student would receive for all 3 years? I'm wondering if the numbers I typically read on this are annual as well.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:10 pm

junelsat wrote:So, anybody on this specific topic want to try to convince me why I should choose Michigan over Duke?
I'll be going to Michigan. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, this isn't necessarily an easy choice. I'd wait to see what Michigan offers you in the way of scholarship money; with your numbers, I think you stand a good chance at some. Then, there's also the matter of where you would like to live and work after LS - Michigan has great placement overall, but places particularly well on the coasts and in the Midwest; Duke has strong placement in the South. Local ties are often able to trump general placement, though. Of course, campus visits are also important.

As you haven't heard back from all of your schools yet, however, I'm guessing it's still too early for you to make a final decision. :wink:
junelsat wrote:Question - So does the dollar value on that graph represent an annual scholarship or the total amount that the student would receive for all 3 years? I'm wondering if the numbers I typically read on this are annual as well.
The value is the total scholarship amount.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Does anyone know how Michigan places in Boston/New England?

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:11 pm

I am submitting my application tomorrow....I've been struggling with actually applying there because I would almost choose any school in the t16 over them.
Let's see if they bite this late in the game

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 pm

junelsat wrote:Not a technical mistake, says packet mailed out on 1/28. Thanks for the help!

So, anybody on this specific topic want to try to convince me why I should choose Michigan over Duke?
campus
have you been to duke? I have and it's barely even comparable to michigan. dont walk off campus at duke without bringing a weapon lol and good luck finding anything to do other than watching college sports (which although duke basketball is awesome will hardly entertain you the whole year)
you also have to be into the south culture a bit if you're going to enjoy being at duke. girls etc.
being from michigan, my first visit to duke was a whole lotta weird.

also you'd probably live off campus as a law student which i would not want to do if i was going to duke.

Go Blue!

junelsat

New

Post by junelsat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks. From my preliminary research, it looks as though Michigan is a slightly better school than Duke(quality of professors, job placement, etc). Do you think this is objectively accurate?

letmein2010

New

Post by letmein2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 pm

the best thing about dook, is that its 15 mins from Chapel Hill

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm

junelsat wrote:Thanks. From my preliminary research, it looks as though Michigan is a slightly better school than Duke(quality of professors, job placement, etc). Do you think this is objectively accurate?
Yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
junelsat wrote:Thanks. From my preliminary research, it looks as though Michigan is a slightly better school than Duke(quality of professors, job placement, etc). Do you think this is objectively accurate?
Yes.
+1

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:49 pm

vanstone22 wrote:I am submitting my application tomorrow....[strike]I've been struggling with actually applying there because I would almost choose any school in the t16 over them.[/strike]Let's see if they bite this late in the game
I'm also applying tomorrow. I know I am a long shot, but figure that it doesn't hurt to take a chance. Hopefully, they'll appreciate my $60 donation to the law school, haha.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:52 pm

junelsat wrote:Not a technical mistake, says packet mailed out on 1/28. Thanks for the help!

So, anybody on this specific topic want to try to convince me why I should choose Duke over Michigan?
Fixed that for you.

Michigan: http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/dat ... +1200230G2

v.

Duke: http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/dat ... 00+312515C

Honestly, if I had close offers from both schools I would probably choose Michigan also.

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm

To answer above posters:

1- No, sorry, I don't have graphs for other schools, but check the Negotiating scholarships thread in the User contributions forum, there are plenty of graphs there.

2- Total scholarship amounts, not yearly

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

So, anybody on this specific topic want to try to convince me why I should choose Duke over Michigan?
Fixed that for you.

v.

Duke: http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/dat ... 00+312515C

Honestly, if I had close offers from both schools I would probably choose Michigan also.

v.

Duke: http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/dat ... 04+312515C

We're more likely to be on campus during the winter months than the summer months, making average minimum temperature a better measure of how unpleasant the climate is than average max temperature.

Edit: IMHO, of course.

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

jackassjim wrote:To answer above posters:

1- No, sorry, I don't have graphs for other schools, but check the Negotiating scholarships thread in the User contributions forum, there are plenty of graphs there.

2- Total scholarship amounts, not yearly
Thanks!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:06 pm

barrinmb wrote:We're more likely to be on campus during the winter months than the summer months, making average minimum temperature a better measure of how unpleasant the climate is than average max temperature.

Yes but you are more likely to be inside whenever the temperature is at the low for the day (late night/early morning) and walking around campus durring the afternoon when it hits the high. Also, I would say to have the perfect measure you have to take both min and max. They both have around the same floor level for most of the year, but Duke has a much higher ceiling so it doesn't stay close to that low all day long.

I just wish I had the opportunity to pick and choose between Duke and Michigan. This is why I have to make Duke sound better lol.

hopefullaw27

Bronze

Post by hopefullaw27 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:17 pm

anyone who got the "hold" (saying that they've reviewed but have yet to make a decision) email receive a decision yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:28 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:anyone who got the "hold" (saying that they've reviewed but have yet to make a decision) email receive a decision yet?
pretty sure 1 person got accepted

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
barrinmb wrote:We're more likely to be on campus during the winter months than the summer months, making average minimum temperature a better measure of how unpleasant the climate is than average max temperature.

Yes but you are more likely to be inside whenever the temperature is at the low for the day (late night/early morning) and walking around campus durring the afternoon when it hits the high. Also, I would say to have the perfect measure you have to take both min and max. They both have around the same floor level for most of the year, but Duke has a much higher ceiling so it doesn't stay close to that low all day long.

I just wish I had the opportunity to pick and choose between Duke and Michigan. This is why I have to make Duke sound better lol.
Good point, I yield :) I'm with you on that. I'll be happy with one of the two for now, having received 0 decisions thus far, but having the choice would make my life so much more difficult/pleasant.

magic05

New

Post by magic05 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:41 pm

I got the Hold and just got in Sat. MI resident splitter.

wiseman

New

Post by wiseman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 am

magic05 wrote:I got the Hold and just got in Sat. MI resident splitter.
congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”