michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Gold

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
existenz wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Planning to fax a late-addition Why essay to Dean Z tomorrow. Pretty excited about it.
Why fax? Wouldn't emailing a PDF be better? (at least as far as print quality)
Well, I was kind of wondering what the SOP is for late addenda. The email from Mich says email or call with questions or concerns but does not specify the best way for submitting essays. Her fax number is listed at the bottom of her letters as well. If the issue is quality, I have no problem going with the pdf idea.
Pretty sure you can just send a PDF via email. That's what I did for Duke, and there were no problems. Just submitted my own Why Michigan that way yesterday as well.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 am

Nevermind!
Last edited by Lieut Kaffee on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 am

LieutKaffee wrote:How retarded would I be if I asked how to convert docx to pdf? Hypothetically, of course.
Windows or Mac?

Not sure on Windows but on a Mac, just hit file > print and save as a PDF (bottom left side of the menu)

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:06 am

LieutKaffee wrote:How retarded would I be if I asked how to convert docx to pdf? Hypothetically, of course.
You can get an add-on from microsoft that allows Word 07 to save docx files as pdfs.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Once you have that installed, all you have to do is 'Save As' and change file type to PDF.

Edit: Also comes standard with Service Pack 2, so you can skip the install if you've got it.

questions

New

Post by questions » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 am

sdsasadfsdf
Last edited by questions on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:11 am

I didn't need any downloads or add-ons. Moments after posing the question I decided to check the "Save as" menu to make sure the answer wasn't staring me right in the face. Voila. I guess I was erroneously assuming authoring PDFs was complicated.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 am

stratocophic wrote:Does anyone know if submitting additional materials moves you back in the submission order? I'd heard some schools bump you to the back if you do; has the symptoms of a dumb rumor, but better safe than sorry. My app needs my Why Michigan badly due to my TTT GPA.
Michigan doesn't, though I've heard that for schools like Chicago and Penn...

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

existenz wrote:
gladitsover wrote:
existenz wrote:This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping some English majors could help me out.

On the Michigan blog, Dean Zearfoss quotes a former student who writes that he was lambasted for failing to have his noun agree with his verb in something he wrote for the law school paper.

The phrase in question is: "If any of you have had..."

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with the grammar in this phrase? I must be missing something because I don't see it, so any enlightenment would help.

:)
It should be "if any of you has had" any is a singular pronoun
Thanks!
"Any" is singular if it implies "any one." It is plural if it implies "any two," "any three," "any number." "None" is the pronoun that always implies singular. I think Dean Z's point is that if you attach "of you" to a numerical pronoun, you have to make sure the verb agrees with the pronoun instead of with "you." E.g., "none of you is willing to help"; "are any (number) of you available?" (Or "Is any of you available?" if you need only one person.)

HTH.

dancinginseptember

New

Post by dancinginseptember » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 am

still at 2/22 on status checker

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 am

dancinginseptember wrote:still at 2/22 on status checker
Same here.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 am

philosoraptor wrote:
existenz wrote:
gladitsover wrote:
existenz wrote:This may be a dumb question, but I was hoping some English majors could help me out.

On the Michigan blog, Dean Zearfoss quotes a former student who writes that he was lambasted for failing to have his noun agree with his verb in something he wrote for the law school paper.

The phrase in question is: "If any of you have had..."

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with the grammar in this phrase? I must be missing something because I don't see it, so any enlightenment would help.

:)
It should be "if any of you has had" any is a singular pronoun
Thanks!
"Any" is singular if it implies "any one." It is plural if it implies "any two," "any three," "any number." "None" is the pronoun that always implies singular. I think Dean Z's point is that if you attach "of you" to a numerical pronoun, you have to make sure the verb agrees with the pronoun instead of with "you." E.g., "none of you is willing to help"; "are any (number) of you available?" (Or "Is any of you available?" if you need only one person.)

HTH.
At least for me, the confusion/doesn't-sound-right-feeling comes from using the abbreviated statement. "If any of you has had" doesn't sound that off, but if you add the implied noun, i.e. "if any one of you has had," it sounds much better. The same goes for the other examples even more so. "None of you is willing to help," and, "is any of you available," although grammatically correct, don't sound right. But if you add back in the implied nouns - "Not one of you is willing to help," and, "is any one of you available" - it makes sense why it is that way, and sounds correct.

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Holla if you're scared of an impending waitlist wave!

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 pm

A Swift wrote:Holla if you're scared of an impending waitlist wave!
+1 but I guess I'm just another one of law schools' "hollaback girls" :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm not scared, but I would be crushed if I got waitlisted. It makes me feel so unwanted when everyone the same, better, or worse than me got accepted.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:40 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Does anyone know if submitting additional materials moves you back in the submission order? I'd heard some schools bump you to the back if you do; has the symptoms of a dumb rumor, but better safe than sorry. My app needs my Why Michigan badly due to my TTT GPA.
Michigan doesn't, though I've heard that for schools like Chicago and Penn...
Much thanks.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
I'm not scared, but I would be crushed if I got waitlisted. It makes me feel so unwanted when everyone the same, better, or worse than me got accepted.
I understand. You did manage to pull $60k from Duke, though. If nothing else, that's pretty cool...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I understand. You did manage to pull $60k from Duke, though. If nothing else, that's pretty cool...
Right and I am excited about that, but it would be nice to judge the two and make them fight for my affection :twisted:
Last edited by Jericwithers on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Right and I am excited about that, but it would be nice to judge the two and make them right for my affection :twisted:
Understandable. Hopefully it works out for you

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:23 pm

Status checker says decision and I can't login to the admitted students site, so I'm assuming that's not good news...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Status checker says decision and I can't login to the admitted students site, so I'm assuming that's not good news...
:cry: Just updated for today?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Status checker says decision and I can't login to the admitted students site, so I'm assuming that's not good news...
:cry: Just updated for today?
Date still says 2/22, but as of today instead of "Complete" it now says "Decision."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:26 pm

My status checker date seems stuck at Complete 2/22. Is this nothing to read into? Or could it mean that my 4+ month wait might finally be over soon?

DOOM

Bronze

Post by DOOM » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:28 pm

dakatz wrote:My status checker date seems stuck at Complete 2/22. Is this nothing to read into? Or could it mean that my 4+ month wait might finally be over soon?
it may have to do with the fact that Dean Z is not currently in the office. I wouldn't think too much of it.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:29 pm

dakatz wrote:My status checker date seems stuck at Complete 2/22. Is this nothing to read into? Or could it mean that my 4+ month wait might finally be over soon?
Everyone's is, I got the status checker a week ago and mine is too. Sorry :(

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:36 pm

:cry:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”