michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bighead715

Bronze

michigan 2010 applicants

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 pm

didn't see one up here in a quick scan...thought id start it

mines been complete and under review since 10/8 - early decision...

any news?
Last edited by bighead715 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Re: michigan 2010

Post by 02082010 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:57 pm

Sent in my app on Friday for both summer and fall consideration. I received a fee waiver and have an LSAT above their 75th so here's to hoping. I would be very content with spending the next 3 years in Ann Arbor.

akowis

New

Post by akowis » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 pm

Last edited by akowis on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 pm

good luck to you both...i visited the other day and would love to spend my 3 years there...

i'm right around their 25th percentile :/

does anyone know their policy on in-state applicants?

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:22 pm

bighead715 wrote:good luck to you both...i visited the other day and would love to spend my 3 years there...

There may be a boost, but it is almost negligible. It's closer to Berkeley than Virginia, if that means anything to you.

Sorry. Best of luck with your cycle, in all events, and I hope you do get Michigan. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm

triplecats wrote:
bighead715 wrote:good luck to you both...i visited the other day and would love to spend my 3 years there...

There may be a boost, but it is almost negligible. It's closer to Berkeley than Virginia, if that means anything to you.

Sorry. Best of luck with your cycle, in all events, and I hope you do get Michigan. :)
It's not a very big boost at all, unfortunately. It can help add to your softs when you're being compared with other applicants, but it's not going to give you a numbers boost. Based on your profile, it looks like your heading for the WL. If you have a really strong app, you might be able to sneak in since you applied early, but it's not all that likely. As demoralizing as it may sound, the WL isn't that bad; it's actually a great opportunity. Of course the best case scenario is getting in straight up, but a WL for a borderline candidate is a lot better than a rejection. It gives you the opportunity to expound on yourself, much more so than you get in the application, through LOCIs, extra essays, addenda, etc. For borderline candidates whose strength lies in their softs as opposed to their numbers, the extra information you submit can really help the adcoms get to know and lead to an acceptance. I can speak from experience here.

Also, it's probably not something you want to hear, but have you considered retaking the LSAT in Dec (or if you get a WL, Feb)? With that 3.9, a little as a few point boost could be the difference between an acceptance and a WL/rejection. I know of a few people who got off the WL at Michigan with a retake...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I think you guys would be the class of 2013.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:43 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I think you guys would be the class of 2013.
Application class of 2010. There's already a Michigan 2013 thread, but it's been dormant for a while...

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm

i figured that it would be that, but i suppose in this forum the cycle year is what people use to differentiate...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:47 pm

edit: I was wrong!!!! :P
Last edited by awesomepossum on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:06 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
triplecats wrote:

It's not a very big boost at all, unfortunately. It can help add to your softs when you're being compared with other applicants, but it's not going to give you a numbers boost. Based on your profile, it looks like your heading for the WL. If you have a really strong app, you might be able to sneak in since you applied early, but it's not all that likely. As demoralizing as it may sound, the WL isn't that bad; it's actually a great opportunity. Of course the best case scenario is getting in straight up, but a WL for a borderline candidate is a lot better than a rejection. It gives you the opportunity to expound on yourself, much more so than you get in the application, through LOCIs, extra essays, addenda, etc. For borderline candidates whose strength lies in their softs as opposed to their numbers, the extra information you submit can really help the adcoms get to know and lead to an acceptance. I can speak from experience here.

Also, it's probably not something you want to hear, but have you considered retaking the LSAT in Dec (or if you get a WL, Feb)? With that 3.9, a little as a few point boost could be the difference between an acceptance and a WL/rejection. I know of a few people who got off the WL at Michigan with a retake...
I probably really should retake it - PTs were averaging 169...then on test day the proctors ruined my first section by talking loudly and opening the doors to the entire university until a girl had a meltdown and cussed them out. That section counted and I got 8 wrong on LR, which I never went over 4 or 5. Rest of the exam I got 11 wrong I believe...Nonetheless, LSAC put the letter in my file saying I took it under poor conditions or something along those lines and decided I was too busy to retake it. Considering my softs (interned at the attorney general of mich, former policy writer for 2 PACs in Washington for Assyrian rights in Iraq, and am a co-founder/CEO of a 501c3 dealing with Assyrian-Iraqi refugees), I would take the risk of applying with a crappy score. I really just don't have the time to pour into LSAT prep again. Anyways, it does seem I am destined for the WL...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 pm

bighead715 wrote:
I probably really should retake it - PTs were averaging 169...then on test day the proctors ruined my first section by talking loudly and opening the doors to the entire university until a girl had a meltdown and cussed them out. That section counted and I got 8 wrong on LR, which I never went over 4 or 5. Rest of the exam I got 11 wrong I believe...Nonetheless, LSAC put the letter in my file saying I took it under poor conditions or something along those lines and decided I was too busy to retake it. Considering my softs (interned at the attorney general of mich, former policy writer for 2 PACs in Washington for Assyrian rights in Iraq, and am a co-founder/CEO of a 501c3 dealing with Assyrian-Iraqi refugees), I would take the risk of applying with a crappy score. I really just don't have the time to pour into LSAT prep again. Anyways, it does seem I am destined for the WL...

unless you're a URM I don't think you'll be admitted. It's tough but I think that retaking is close to your only chance for admission.

If you're going to retake, you should really tell them. The problem as I see it would be this. It's possible that you won't be waitlisted but actually denied at this stage. If they don't think you're retaking, that means asking them to reconsider you once you have a new score. My guess is that it's harder to get back in the process if you've already been denied once as opposed to just being in limbo once a new score comes around.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Application class of 2010. There's already a Michigan 2013 thread, but it's been dormant for a while...

Oh...I see. I fucked it up. My bad. :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:23 pm

I went complete on the 21st and have the status checker, just waiting for (hopefully) good news. Michigan is my top choice alongside Chicago (barring HYS miracles). Good luck everyone!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Kretzy wrote:I went complete on the 21st and have the status checker, just waiting for (hopefully) good news. Michigan is my top choice alongside Chicago (barring HYS miracles). Good luck everyone!

Numerically you're probably looking good. :D

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:28 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
unless you're a URM I don't think you'll be admitted. It's tough but I think that retaking is close to your only chance for admission.

If you're going to retake, you should really tell them. The problem as I see it would be this. It's possible that you won't be waitlisted but actually denied at this stage. If they don't think you're retaking, that means asking them to reconsider you once you have a new score. My guess is that it's harder to get back in the process if you've already been denied once as opposed to just being in limbo once a new score comes around.
"that baaa-looooooooows"

cunni1775

New

Post by cunni1775 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:30 pm

164/3.7 + time in Iraq in military. Got a view book and an invitation to apply. Worth the $72 or just a pipe dream?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:32 pm

cunni1775 wrote:164/3.7 + time in Iraq in military. Got a view book and an invitation to apply. Worth the $72 or just a pipe dream?
if you have the $$, why not...everyone seems to think 164 is pretty much auto-reject here, but with a unique background you never know...

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:33 pm

cunni1775 wrote:164/3.7 + time in Iraq in military. Got a view book and an invitation to apply. Worth the $72 or just a pipe dream?

I guess I don't see $72 as too big a deal considering the big picture. Your odds of admission are probably not good, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility. If it's something you can possibly do I would suggest retaking.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:34 pm

bighead715 wrote:
if you have the $$, why not...everyone seems to think 164 is pretty much auto-reject here, but with a unique background you never know...
I really think Michigan doesn't have "auto-reject" numbers. It's still a tough hill to climb. A lot of people have compelling stories and awesome accomplishments pre-law school....but you never know what will catch the dean's eye.

cunni1775

New

Post by cunni1775 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm

What the hell bighead. Nothing to lose. Lets do it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:49 pm

cunni1775 wrote:What the hell bighead. Nothing to lose. Lets do it.
that's the spirit...maybe zearfoss will go for it if you fabricate a story revolving around receiving the medal of honor after saving your entire platoon by eating a live grenade...

phoenix_302

New

Post by phoenix_302 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:50 pm

awesomepossum,

My numbers aren't stellar, 165/3.8, URM.

I got a fee waiver and received an email from Dean Zearfoss asking if I wanted them to put me in contact with a student there who had similar interests to mine. Is it common for the admissions office to do this? Has anybody else on here been in contact with them? Michigan started out as just an idea for me, but throughout this cycle it's really grown on me. I can safely say (barring miracles) it's my top choice. Anyway, what do you (or anybody else) think my odds are?

I'm asking you in particular 'cuz you seem to be the only one here with first-hand experience.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:51 pm

also, did zearfoss underling the word "love" in the context of reading your application, hand-sign it, and write a note similar to mine saying "Congratulations on your flawless performance at Wayne!" ??

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 pm

My application had the "love" underline and a note saying I should check out Michigan's corporate law offerings. I have no idea where they got corporate law from--I think I told LSAC I was interested in public policy and government--but hey, I'll take it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”