michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Amelie

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 am

Shaggier1 wrote:I am really beginning to doubt that some of these are rejections... I don't want to inspire false hope, but it is beginning to seem unlikely.
+1

I got the Christmas Eve acceptance email and couldn't log into the ASW site that day... so there may be hope.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:17 am

Lermontov wrote:sigh...

Still no Decision, still no admitted student access. Very close to the 13th week now, though I'm not sure exactly when that'll be.
BTW. Love your name/tar.

Vegas_Rebel

Bronze

Post by Vegas_Rebel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:17 am

Shaggier1 wrote:I am really beginning to doubt that some of these are rejections... I don't want to inspire false hope, but it is beginning to seem unlikely.
I'm (irrationally?) thinking the same thing.

Especially given crazyforhys and their 75%+ numbers. It's possible, but odd, that Michigan would reject someone with those kinds of numbers.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Especially given crazyforhys and their 75%+ numbers. It's possible, but odd, that Michigan would reject someone with those kinds of numbers.
YP

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 am

crazyforhys wrote:Shit! Decision 1/11, no access to AS site either! Numbers both above 75%.
Did you write a "Why Mich"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 am

kittenmittons wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:

YP
Maybe some of these are waitlists? I know it's supposed to show up on the status checker, but straight rejections just aren't making sense...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

maggiebre wrote:
+1

I got the Christmas Eve acceptance email and couldn't log into the ASW site that day... so there may be hope.

Can anyone give us who are having our fingernails for breakfast an estimate of how long it takes after we go to "decision" until we get an rejection/acceptance email/packet? I'm going out of town for a week tomorrow!

crazyforhys

New

Post by crazyforhys » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
crazyforhys wrote:Shit! Decision 1/11, no access to AS site either! Numbers both above 75%.
Yes.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 am

Got mine two days after I could log onto the site. BTW... I can still log on so I don't think the site is down or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 am

maggiebre wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:

YP
Maybe some of these are waitlists? I know it's supposed to show up on the status checker, but straight rejections just aren't making sense...
+1, but Michigan doesn't YP do they?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:22 am

Lincoln wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
+1

Can anyone give us who are having our fingernails for breakfast an estimate of how long it takes after we go to "decision" until we get an rejection/acceptance email/packet? I'm going out of town for a week tomorrow!
It took over a week for me... but my case is a bad example since it was over the holidays. I think most people got a packet within a day or two of "Decision." Not sure about emails though.

crazyforhys

New

Post by crazyforhys » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:24 am

Maybe some of these are waitlists? I know it's supposed to show up on the status checker, but straight rejections just aren't making sense...[/quote]

+1, but Michigan doesn't YP do they?[/quote]

Nope, according to the FAQ section on their website.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 am

crazyforhys wrote:
kakarot wrote:
+1, but Michigan doesn't YP do they?
Nope, according to the FAQ section on their website.
HAHA. never trust a school. I have never seen one admit to YPing but a lot do it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:25 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
crazyforhys wrote:
Shit! Decision 1/11, no access to AS site either! Numbers both above 75%.

Yes.
I just don't see someone with those numbers getting YP'ed by Mich in the first round of rejections, especially with an optional essay.

This is said to be the craziest cycle ever though, so who knows...

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am

maggiebre wrote:
+1

I think the way it goes is they make a decision one day, mark it so when the system refreshes (at midnight?) you'll be able to log into the AS site, then a few days later (to prevent undue anxiety or so they say, fat lot of good it does) the status checker updates.

I hope I'm wrong for y'all's sake, though. I really, really do.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

For those with 1/9 decisions, the letters were prob mailed out on Thursday. I'm in the midwest so I'm expecting the rejection when the mailman arrive today. I get the latest mail service ever though, they don't come until about 430.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 am

In years past, it used to be that you wouldn't get a decision update until a week or two after the decision was made; the point was that you would get your decision notice before the status checker set to decision, to avoid the anxiety and to curtail students calling and asking what their decision is. From what I've heard, they've been swamped this year, and I'm thinking that the decision status is due to their delays. Keep in mind, too, for those of you who have been waiting a while, because of how badly they over-enrolled last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a longer, more cautious approach this year to make sure it doesn't happen again.

As for the Admitted Student Site, it's possible that they just set it on a delay to stop people from checking. It's a cool trick for applicants, but it's a loophole that skirts what the Admissions Office is trying to do. If I were Dean Z, I'd be pissed about people using it, and then bothering my office calling to figure out what it means...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 am

starstruck393 wrote:In years past, it used to be that you wouldn't get a decision update until a week or two after the decision was made; the point was that you would get your decision notice before the status checker set to decision, to avoid the anxiety and to curtail students calling and asking what their decision is. From what I've heard, they've been swamped this year, and I'm thinking that the decision status is due to their delays. Keep in mind, too, for those of you who have been waiting a while, because of how badly they over-enrolled last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a longer, more cautious approach this year to make sure it doesn't happen again.

As for the Admitted Student Site, it's possible that they just set it on a delay to stop people from checking. It's a cool trick for applicants, but it's a loophole that skirts what the Admissions Office is trying to do. If I were Dean Z, I'd be pissed about people using it, and then bothering my office calling to figure out what it means...
She was pissed about it. She posted in this very thread... Fun stuff, made me like Michigan a lot more...

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:41 am

Kakarot wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:In years past, it used to be that you wouldn't get a decision update until a week or two after the decision was made; the point was that you would get your decision notice before the status checker set to decision, to avoid the anxiety and to curtail students calling and asking what their decision is. From what I've heard, they've been swamped this year, and I'm thinking that the decision status is due to their delays. Keep in mind, too, for those of you who have been waiting a while, because of how badly they over-enrolled last year, I wouldn't be surprised if they took a longer, more cautious approach this year to make sure it doesn't happen again.

She was pissed about it. She posted in this very thread... Fun stuff, made me like Michigan a lot more...
Seriously? On TLS? Wow...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Zearfoss wrote:Hello all--

Oy. I feel terrible about all the apparent anxiety I unintentionally engineered. In my telephone call with the original poster, I did indeed ask him to post some information, but I'm afraid a lot got lost in the translation. I hope this format works a little better, and that I am able to clear up some confusion.

First, and most importantly: I am not mad about people trying to log in! We are not tracking people. We are not penalizing people. Nothing untoward along those lines is occurring.

Now, some background: yesterday we received an email from an applicant telling us that he had tried to log into the site and had been successful for 20 minutes. He tried again, though, and could not log in. Was he, he wanted to know, admitted or not? well--he wasn't admitted. So if he had been able to log in, as he said, that would have indicated a serious problem with our site. I asked one member of my staff to get the specific details from him, and another member to confab with the IT staff and see what the story was. As a result of all this investigating, we learned that the candidate in question had actually tried to log in an extraordinary number of times--many, many times a day, every day for more than a month. We also learned that while a number of people had tried to log in, he had done so about 100 times more than anyone else--and that only a handful of people had tried to log in a number of times that struck us really unusual. But we didn't go piecing together who all those people were, nor did we have any interest in contacting them--we only wanted to respond to the original candidate. In any event, the upshot of the investigation was the IT staff's firm conviction that the site was working exactly as it should, and people who weren't admitted would not be able to log on.

So I called the candidate, and explained what I had learned. I also explained that the site only refreshed once a day, so multiple daily log-in attempts weren't worthwhile. And then I explained why we have the system we do (about which I can post later), and that while we don't mind people trying to log in, we just have an old-fashioned hope that they will learn of their admission through a big exciting packet in the mail, rather than a website--but that I understand there's a generation gap there. And finally, I explained how this year's new phenomenon of checking has led to some unforeseen consequences: namely, people calling us to say, "I logged in; am I admitted?," and relatedly, emailing us a lot to ask when they'll get their status check email. Both of those, particularly in a year where we're seeing an increase in applicants, have been absolutely crushing to our workload; we're actually processing apps more slowly, and making decisions more slowly, because of the increased work in these other areas.

And finally--I asked him to explain all this on TLS, which is where he told me he'd gotten the log-in idea in the first place. And so here we are.

This is my first time ever posting on TLS or similar sites, and I am hopeful that we can clear this up and I can get back to reading my apps and leaving all of you in peace. I'm off now to drive my children to various evening activities, but I'll check back later to see if other questions need answering!

(I have been advised to tell you all that I won't be monitoring my TLS message inbox. In other words, you'll be free of me after this.)
BTW +10,000 for her to do that... Also it means don't keep checking the AS site all day, only updates at midnight.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:46 am

Status checker changed to decision today, but I cannot login to admitted students website. Numbers 3.6 173 and I wrote the Why Michigan essay. Did not self-select as URM on application.
I can't imagine being rejected at Michigan, but this cycle has been very odd. Strange things are happening, maybe due to the flood of applications this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 am

starstruck393 wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Yup. About 20 pages ago. It was epic. Dean Z is FTW.

Edit: See page 63.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

I'm thinking that since this is a Monday and the ASW only updates at midnight, then perhaps IT will be updating the site later on today with the latest batch of admits. Generally IT folks don't work on non-emergency or non-maintenance items over the weekend.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 am

Chupavida wrote:Another 1/11 decision with no admitted students site. Sub 3.0 splitter so I'm not optimistic.
So has anyone with a 1/11 decision been able to login to the admitted site?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”