michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

Aeon wrote:
stratocophic wrote:+1 If small, private schools' undergrad admissions can get through 25k apps and pick 1600 without the use of rolling admissions, I don't see why law schools are unable to get through 10k apps and pick 1,000 without it. Granted I'm a splitter, but this cycle seems to have been ridiculous for lots of people.
I suspect that this is the case because the top law schools can afford to do so. People tend to pick higher-ranked schools above those that are ranked lower. Thus, there is a downward-wave effect as you move down the rankings: as individuals accept offers at the top schools, they free up spaces at the lower-ranked schools. If you are in charge of admissions at a lower-ranked school, it is to your school's advantage to not have rolling admissions, because you are likely to see greater perambulations in your candidate pool as some accept offers at higher-ranked schools and others accept greater scholarship offers from schools ranked lower than yours.

Also, rolling admissions has the side-effect of allowing schools to more effectively gauge the relative interest of applicants. Someone who submits an application within the first week that it is available is likely to be more interested in the school or is at least a highly-motivated individual. Regardless, chances are that the school would like to capture as many of these applicants as they can, assuming that these applicants meet the school's baseline requirements (such as with GPA/LSAT, not having a history of offenses, etc.). In this way, applying early in a cycle is like having a decent soft factor.
In my opinion it means that they are hold overs from last cycle, or took the LSAT in June. Nothing more.

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 pm

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone going to look at campus on the night of the 19th? I was planning on Couchsurfing, but neither of the ones near campus panned out. I'm cheap and would rather split a hotel room.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 am

I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the first seat deposit online? Or do we need to snail mail that form back to them (if we have to do that, I'm guessing it has to get there by April 31, not be postmarked by April 31)?

Heather85

New

Post by Heather85 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 am

hykang wrote:I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

Does anyone know if there is a way to make the first seat deposit online? Or do we need to snail mail that form back to them (if we have to do that, I'm guessing it has to get there by April 31, not be postmarked by April 31)?

I don't know of an online option. But I'm thinking it can be postmarked April 30. Doesn't the form say you can mail it to them before or on April 30? Don't have it in front of me but I think that's it.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:36 pm

I think postmarked would work. If nothing else, if you mail it on the 30th, you can send them a head's up email that you sent it, so they're aware...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:40 pm

hykang wrote:I posted this in the other Michigan thread, BUT

I agree with starstruck and heather, but just to be safe, you might want to ask admissions themselves. In my experience, they don't bite. :wink:

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Withdrawn today. Good luck, I hope my acceptance (and money) goes to someone deserving!

Stardust

New

Post by Stardust » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm

big_blue79 wrote:Withdrawn today. Good luck, I hope my acceptance (and money) goes to someone deserving!
Good luck in your future endeavors
Stardust wrote:Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.
Stardust we'd love to have you join us. Have you visited already? If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with an admissions representative while you're there; I think that will help considerably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Stardust

New

Post by Stardust » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Stardust wrote:Sent my LOCI this morning - been holding off on sending it until now so that its arrival would correlate roughly with the first deposit deadline.
Stardust we'd love to have you join us. Have you visited already? If not, you could try to schedule an appointment with an admissions representative while you're there; I think that will help considerably.
I'm tentatively planning to visit sometime (with the intent of meeting with someone on the admissions committee) during the week of May 17th after I graduate - it's tough because most of my traveling time/finances are currently being put towards trying to find a place to live near the law school I'm scheduled to attend in the fall if I don't get off Michigan's waitlist. Gonna be a stressful summer, that's for sure, but I'm going to do all that I can and hope for the best.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am

Stardust wrote:
doinmybest wrote:
I'm tentatively planning to visit sometime (with the intent of meeting with someone on the admissions committee) during the week of May 17th after I graduate - it's tough because most of my traveling time/finances are currently being put towards trying to find a place to live near the law school I'm scheduled to attend in the fall if I don't get off Michigan's waitlist. Gonna be a stressful summer, that's for sure, but I'm going to do all that I can and hope for the best.
If and when you get a firm date, call them up and get an appointment with one of the adcomms. Dean Z might not be available, but one of the assistants, like Liz Seger, would work as well. Be sure to continue to stay in contact. Any updates you can give can be worked into additional LOCI's.

I was in your position last year, so I know how it feels, and would be happy to help in any way I can...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm

I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!

amolson04

New

Post by amolson04 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!
oh no! what happened? i have seen you in a lot of different threads and have been rooting for you :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:59 pm

amolson04 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I withdrew with $$. Turns out I can't go to LS this year anyway :( Hope someone gets a spot and $$!
oh no! what happened? i have seen you in a lot of different threads and have been rooting for you :(
We came into a custody problem so we can't just up and move to LS. I thought we could work it out but someone is being a jerk about it, so we will have to go to court. I don't even know what schools I can apply to in the fall if we don't work it out. I guess I have to put Penn back on the map because it's right here. I don't know if I can actually commute to NYC for 3 years. Sighhhh. Oh well. Just don't make me go to Temple/Villanova! I hope it works out :? .

nuss3

New

Post by nuss3 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

that blows r6, i've been pulling for you as well! i hope it all works out for you.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
amolson04 wrote:
We came into a custody problem so we can't just up and move to LS. I thought we could work it out but someone is being a jerk about it, so we will have to go to court. I don't even know what schools I can apply to in the fall if we don't work it out. I guess I have to put Penn back on the map because it's right here. I don't know if I can actually commute to NYC for 3 years. Sighhhh. Oh well. Just don't make me go to Temple/Villanova! I hope it works out :? .
Good luck philly!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks all! I am going to work on my masters and we have to go to court. I will probably still reapply but now I don't even know where. I would consider weekly commuting during the school year but that make everything impossible except H/Y/C/N/P/G, and I would take Michigan over everything but HY. This really blows, it takes out my realistic first choice for the time being, but I will work with what I got :| .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fergie

New

Post by Fergie » Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 am

heres hoping for some waitlist movement post seat deposits!!!

Stardust

New

Post by Stardust » Sun May 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Fergie wrote:heres hoping for some waitlist movement post seat deposits!!!
+1 :)

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Sun May 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Good luck to all those playing the waiting game! :D

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 am

tamlyric wrote:Good luck to all those playing the waiting game! :D
+1! I hope there are lots of spots to fill for you guys.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue May 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Withdrew today. :cry:

Turning down the Darrow must be one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made. In the end though I needed to think about my SO's happiness and when I have a couple other awesome options, it wasn't fair to choose the place she'd be the least happy.

Hope this frees up a seat and some aid money for someone still waiting here.

100Kworthit?

New

Post by 100Kworthit? » Tue May 04, 2010 2:48 pm

withdrew w/ $$ ~ goodluck!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed May 05, 2010 3:51 am

I will be withdrawing in a couple days with $ as well.

Edit: Just did the deed, hope a TLSer gets the spot soon.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”