michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ArthurEdens

New

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by ArthurEdens » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 pm

My status checker hasn't updated since 2/22. Still says complete, and I can't log into the admitted students' site. Given that Michigan is a reach with my numbers, should I be expecting a snail mail ding in the next few days?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
adameus wrote:
oneforship wrote:
adameus wrote:Dinged yesterday via mail. Saw the envelope fully expecting it to be an acceptance, but it was not.... ouch.
wtf? how did you get dinged?
No idea. But it sure hurt my confidence in my hope for a stanford acceptance. I was quite sure of my application strength after a number of strong acceptances and the only blemish being what appears to be a YP waitlist at Georgetown, but now this....
Maybe admissions thought there was little chance you would go to Michigan anyway and so did some good ole YP. I can't imagine why else UoM would reject you, unless you got a skeleton in the closet. Of course, I'm not exactly a law school admissions officer, so my knowledge of what they are looking for is about 0.
How much effort/sincerity/interest did you put in? It just seems like for safety schools that request additional materials, it's really easy for lack of interest to show through, and in that case there's really no reason to accept someone they don't think is actually interested at all. Most schools would accept those people anyway, but I applaud Michigan for looking deeper than numbers.

Not to say that this applies to you, but I would imagine it affected more than one of the rejections with above 75% numbers. I do feel your pain.

smacroon

New

Post by smacroon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 pm

ArthurEdens wrote:My status checker hasn't updated since 2/22. Still says complete, and I can't log into the admitted students' site. Given that Michigan is a reach with my numbers, should I be expecting a snail mail ding in the next few days?
Pretty sure all of us who are still waiting have the same situation so I wouldn't give up hope :)

ornbarn

New

Post by ornbarn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Has anyone's status updated past 2/22?

scottstot

New

Post by scottstot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm

ornbarn wrote:Has anyone's status updated past 2/22?
nope same thing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

scottstot wrote:
ornbarn wrote:Has anyone's status updated past 2/22?
nope same thing
+1

ornbarn

New

Post by ornbarn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm

I think it's most likely just a lag in the system, not that EVERYONE just got WL/Rejected.

bball999

New

Post by bball999 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm

ornbarn wrote:I think it's most likely just a lag in the system, not that EVERYONE just got WL/Rejected.
Actually I'm pretty sure everyone just got rejected. HTH

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:37 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
How much effort/sincerity/interest did you put in? It just seems like for safety schools that request additional materials, it's really easy for lack of interest to show through, and in that case there's really no reason to accept someone they don't think is actually interested at all. Most schools would accept those people anyway, but I applaud Michigan for looking deeper than numbers.

Not to say that this applies to you, but I would imagine it affected more than one of the rejections with above 75% numbers. I do feel your pain.
Well, I put about as much effort/interest/sincerity as I did at all my other schools (ie. I slightly modified my PS to fit the school, I filled out and carefully read through the application). I did not write a why Michigan Essay and to be honest and meaning no disrespect to anyone else in this thread I think there was very little chance of me choosing to attend Michigan, so yes its very possible that this intention came through. To those of you who have been accepted perhaps you can take some pride in the fact that at least in some cases, Michigan is a tougher school to get into than Harvard :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:45 pm

How long are the LOCIs people have been sending in? 1 page single-spaced letter format?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:How long are the LOCIs people have been sending in? 1 page single-spaced letter format?
Mine (not for MICH since I was straight ding'd) was single spaced for other schools. if you double space your LOCI, i doubt you'll be able to say much.

standard letter format.
printed on company letter head.
signed by hand.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

adameus wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

Well, I put about as much effort/interest/sincerity as I did at all my other schools (ie. I slightly modified my PS to fit the school, I filled out and carefully read through the application). I did not write a why Michigan Essay and to be honest and meaning no disrespect to anyone else in this thread I think there was very little chance of me choosing to attend Michigan, so yes its very possible that this intention came through. To those of you who have been accepted perhaps you can take some pride in the fact that at least in some cases, Michigan is a tougher school to get into than Harvard :D

This.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Ugh, I can't come up with anything to write besides a pitiful plea for acceptance. If only that prof would finish the LOR I asked him for 4 weeks ago I could have at least that to mention.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Ugh, I can't come up with anything to write besides a pitiful plea for acceptance. If only that prof would finish the LOR I asked him for 4 weeks ago I could have at least that to mention.
Any updates? Classes, projects, hobbies? Any classes strike with what you'd like to do?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 pm

adameus wrote:To those of you who have been accepted perhaps you can take some pride in the fact that at least in some cases, Michigan is a tougher school to get into than Harvard :D
As I await my ding from Harvard, I suppose that will be some consolation. I'd still trade you in a heartbeat though.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:02 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:
adameus wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

This.
This what?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:13 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Ugh, I can't come up with anything to write besides a pitiful plea for acceptance. If only that prof would finish the LOR I asked him for 4 weeks ago I could have at least that to mention.
Any updates? Classes, projects, hobbies? Any classes strike with what you'd like to do?
Hrmm youre right; now that I think about it I do have a compelling response for the last one. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Mission accomplished:
Thank you for your recent application to Michigan Law. I will be happy to add this essay to your application file.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Best,
(Admissions Person)
The wait continues.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Mission accomplished:
Thank you for your recent application to Michigan Law. I will be happy to add this essay to your application file.

Best,
(Admissions Person)
The wait continues.
Fingers crossed for you.

And 'grats on NU!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Best,
(Admissions Person)
The wait continues.
You suck. I sent my Why UM in on Tuesday and still haven't gotten a response. Here's hoping their office received and processed it :|

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:08 pm

stratocophic wrote:

Best,
(Admissions Person)
The wait continues.
You suck. I sent my Why UM in on Tuesday and still haven't gotten a response. Here's hoping their office received and processed it :|
I faxed one in last Monday. I didn't get a response until Tuesday, after I got paranoid and asked if they received it over the weekend. I'm sure it takes them a significant amount of time to go through these things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 pm

adameus wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:
adameus wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:

This.
This what?
... May explain why he got rejected.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

Best,
(Admissions Person)
The wait continues.
I faxed one in last Monday. I didn't get a response until Tuesday, after I got paranoid and asked if they received it over the weekend. I'm sure it takes them a significant amount of time to go through these things.
They typically take the better part of a week to respond, even during off times. Right now, the busiest time of the year, I wouldn't be too worried about it yet...

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
WhatUpKells wrote: I faxed one in last Monday. I didn't get a response until Tuesday, after I got paranoid and asked if they received it over the weekend. I'm sure it takes them a significant amount of time to go through these things.
They typically take the better part of a week to respond, even during off times. Right now, the busiest time of the year, I wouldn't be too worried about it yet...
For what it's worth, I emailed an attached PDF as opposed to faxing. But I emailed it last night at 11pm Pacific and received this response 12 hours later.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”