michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
starstruck393

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm

Amelie wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
hykang wrote:Is there any deadline by which you need to accept a dean's scholarship? Or is it just the regular seat deposit deadline?
Regular seat deposit. You don't have to formally accept it, if you enroll, it gets automatically applied.
Which is April 30th, right? I'm afraid I'm going to mix up some of these deadlines
Correct

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Amelie wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
hykang wrote:Is there any deadline by which you need to accept a dean's scholarship? Or is it just the regular seat deposit deadline?
Regular seat deposit. You don't have to formally accept it, if you enroll, it gets automatically applied.
Which is April 30th, right? I'm afraid I'm going to mix up some of these deadlines
Correct
Sweet, thanks!

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

Admissions office scared the shit out of me with their response to my updated resume + loci. The gmail preview was "Congratulations on your ..." Open the email, finishes with "new position!"

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 pm

holybartender wrote:Admissions office scared the shit out of me with their response to my updated resume + loci. The gmail preview was "Congratulations on your ..." Open the email, finishes with "new position!"
That is sort of ... awful

holybartender

Bronze

Post by holybartender » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
holybartender wrote:Admissions office scared the shit out of me with their response to my updated resume + loci. The gmail preview was "Congratulations on your ..." Open the email, finishes with "new position!"
Ann Arbor is trolling me. Dean Zearfoss is wise in the ways of the interwebs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

holybartender wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Except for the fact that they can't get a working waitlist survey system, and send cryptic emails in the middle of January to scare people. I guess they focus their attention on people they accepted, just like every other law school.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
holybartender wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Except for the fact that they can't get a working waitlist survey system, and send cryptic emails in the middle of January to scare people. I guess they focus their attention on people they accepted, just like every other law school.
It is taking them just about as long to answer my questions now than before. They are nice, but seem to be really busy.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Re: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry 2010 applicants

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:54 am

So how easy is it to get around Ann Arbor? I'm staying at the Candlewood Suites hotel, which is apparently like 3-4 miles from campus. Is it easy to hail cabs on campus? Do I need to print out some bus routes?

Also, if anyone's visiting 4/8 - 4/11 PLEASE PM ME! I don't want to wander around like a complete loser and I would enjoy checking out some nightlife. :)

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:56 pm

You'd really have to call one of the services; they're not frequent enough to hail

roger8219

New

Post by roger8219 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

i sent a loci, via snail mail, 1.5 weeks ago, but haven't heard a thing. should i expect to receive confirmation (in any form) that mich received it? i wasn't expecting this, but i think i remember someone saying they had received a confirmation email. i would appreciate your input!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:19 pm

roger8219 wrote:i sent a loci, via snail mail, 1.5 weeks ago, but haven't heard a thing. should i expect to receive confirmation (in any form) that mich received it? i wasn't expecting this, but i think i remember someone saying they had received a confirmation email. i would appreciate your input!
I want to say the only time I got a confirmation was when I sent via email; nothing when I mailed hard copies. You can always shoot them a quick email to make sure they got it, and I'm sure they'll respond to that...

nuss3

New

Post by nuss3 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:16 am

starstruck393 wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:Waitlisted today. 3.57, 170 LSAT. I applied really late, so I was expecting a rejection off the bat.

They said they accept 35-40 people off the waitlist? I wonder how many people they put on it...
At least last year, they had said that traditionally the number was in that range.At it's peak I'd say it's in the 100-200 range, but certainly a number either don't accept, withdraw fairly quickly, or put in no effort (which is like a silent withdraw)
not to be a debbie downer...but there are over 200 WL's (out of about 900 UM apps) on LSN alone. i'm sure the ratio is somewhat skewed since it's not a representative sample, but they've gotten over 6,500 apps this year (they said a 20% increase from last year, which had 5,600 apps). even if you're an optimist and quarter the ratio on LSN, extrapolation still yields >350 people on the WL. i guess there's a little comfort in the fact that the number doesn't account for the masses of people who withdrew/are uninterested and de facto withdraw...(i'm on the WL, too...sob)...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm

just got the waitlist e-mail :roll:
someone put me out of my misery, this cycle has been horrific

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:23 pm

los blancos wrote:just got the waitlist e-mail :roll:
Michigan has superiority issues. I think the 'Hoggwarts' reference here went to their head. So sorry to point this out but you might end up going to the same school as me :?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:just got the waitlist e-mail :roll:
Michigan has superiority issues. I think the 'Hoggwarts' reference here went to their head. So sorry to point this out but you might end up going to the same school as me :?
If I hadn't gotten into Duke, I think this WL would have prompted me to dive headfirst out of a window. :mrgreen:

I already wrote what I felt was a fairly compelling Why Mich, I have no idea how I'm going to write them a LOCI.

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Last edited by rupert.pupkin on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Looking at LSN, looks like I'd have had a better shot if I answered 3 less questions right on the LSAT. Oh well.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:11 pm

los blancos wrote:Looking at LSN, looks like I'd have had a better shot if I answered 3 less questions right on the LSAT. Oh well.
From the impression I got, I was one of the last, if not the last outright acceptances they were giving out. I don't think it is about you rather than they have reached the end of the acceptances. They use a mathematical formula that the stats people derived so I think once it's the end, it's the end. I wouldn't expect any more acceptances to come out until after seat deposits. But if your score is high, you stand a better chance, I think they have been conservative with their acceptances while expecting the yield to be lower.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
los blancos wrote:Looking at LSN, looks like I'd have had a better shot if I answered 3 less questions right on the LSAT. Oh well.
From the impression I got, I was one of the last, if not the last outright acceptances they were giving out. I don't think it is about you rather than they have reached the end of the acceptances. They use a mathematical formula that the stats people derived so I think once it's the end, it's the end. I wouldn't expect any more acceptances to come out until after seat deposits. But if your score is high, you stand a better chance, I think they have been conservative with their acceptances while expecting the yield to be lower.
+1. During the ASW, I actually met a (hot female) statistics grad student who helped analyze the data to help predict yield rates and develop the formula.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 am

Anyone going to DC reception on Wednesday?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
Fair enough, and this is why I hate rolling admissions. It wasn't my choice to apply in early January, and yet it has absolutely murdered my cycle.

A lot of people are expecting a lot of WL action this year basically everywhere. But I'm probably going to withdraw because even if I do get in, they're not going to give me the $$ that Duke gave me.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 am

los blancos wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Fair enough, and this is why I hate rolling admissions. It wasn't my choice to apply in early January, and yet it has absolutely murdered my cycle.

A lot of people are expecting a lot of WL action this year basically everywhere. But I'm probably going to withdraw because even if I do get in, they're not going to give me the $$ that Duke gave me.

Probably not, looks like you need my numbers to get what I got, it's in line with LSN figures. Now I wish Duke will actually take a look at my file... This whole process is comical how it works.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:48 am

los blancos wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

+1 If small, private schools' undergrad admissions can get through 25k apps and pick 1600 without the use of rolling admissions, I don't see why law schools are unable to get through 10k apps and pick 1,000 without it. Granted I'm a splitter, but this cycle seems to have been ridiculous for lots of people.

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:24 pm

stratocophic wrote:+1 If small, private schools' undergrad admissions can get through 25k apps and pick 1600 without the use of rolling admissions, I don't see why law schools are unable to get through 10k apps and pick 1,000 without it. Granted I'm a splitter, but this cycle seems to have been ridiculous for lots of people.
I suspect that this is the case because the top law schools can afford to do so. People tend to pick higher-ranked schools above those that are ranked lower. Thus, there is a downward-wave effect as you move down the rankings: as individuals accept offers at the top schools, they free up spaces at the lower-ranked schools. If you are in charge of admissions at a lower-ranked school, it is to your school's advantage to not have rolling admissions, because you are likely to see greater perambulations in your candidate pool as some accept offers at higher-ranked schools and others accept greater scholarship offers from schools ranked lower than yours.

Also, rolling admissions has the side-effect of allowing schools to more effectively gauge the relative interest of applicants. Someone who submits an application within the first week that it is available is likely to be more interested in the school or is at least a highly-motivated individual. Regardless, chances are that the school would like to capture as many of these applicants as they can, assuming that these applicants meet the school's baseline requirements (such as with GPA/LSAT, not having a history of offenses, etc.). In this way, applying early in a cycle is like having a decent soft factor.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”