michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
holborn

Bronze

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:04 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:So I thought it was awesome that as a mich alum I could access the status check b/c i already have a UM ID #, and I wouldnt have to wait weeks upon end like everyone else. I was wrong. Its not awesome. Now I log in daily only to see 'Incomplete' and I have to compulse that I'm missing something. In reality, its likely that no one has checked my file for all the parts yet, and once they do it will be marked complete and i'll get that link to the status check page.
But I usually don't let things like 'reality' factor into my worrying and compulsing. Instead I'll keep checking it daily and wonder which parts of my application are missing, and become more and more convinced I'll never go under review.

sigh. /rant
There have been other alumni applicants whose application was incomplete because the contact information (like address) listed on their application was different than the contact information listed in the U of M directory; it apparently is a bug in the system, but the apps won't move forward until it's corrected in the directory. You might want to check on that...

Say what? :shock:

As if this process needed to be any more ridiculous and complicated...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:08 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Do I have any chance at Michigan? 172 2.7LSAC URM. Michigan UG and my GPA @ Mich was 3.82. LSP has me at consider but I've been complete for 8 weeks and think I should just be prepping for the worst :|
Did you transfer out of Michigan? How do you go from 3.82 to 2.7 with conversion?
I transferred to Michigan from another college (via SAT/ACT scores and begging). My GPA @ my first UG was TTT.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:10 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:So I thought it was awesome that as a mich alum I could access the status check b/c i already have a UM ID #, and I wouldnt have to wait weeks upon end like everyone else. I was wrong. Its not awesome. Now I log in daily only to see 'Incomplete' and I have to compulse that I'm missing something. In reality, its likely that no one has checked my file for all the parts yet, and once they do it will be marked complete and i'll get that link to the status check page.
But I usually don't let things like 'reality' factor into my worrying and compulsing. Instead I'll keep checking it daily and wonder which parts of my application are missing, and become more and more convinced I'll never go under review.

sigh. /rant
There have been other alumni applicants whose application was incomplete because the contact information (like address) listed on their application was different than the contact information listed in the U of M directory; it apparently is a bug in the system, but the apps won't move forward until it's corrected in the directory. You might want to check on that...

Say what? :shock:

As if this process needed to be any more ridiculous and complicated...
Just trust me, it happened last year to some of the applicants. Former students already have their UMID and account set up, unlike new applicants who have that created for them by the law school. So if their system finds a discrepancy between the information in the account and the information in the application, it gives an incomplete error and must be corrected before they'll proceed with reviewing your application. I'm not sure that that is the case for you, but it's always a possibility, especially if you've been out of UG for any length of time...

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:11 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Do I have any chance at Michigan? 172 2.7LSAC URM. Michigan UG and my GPA @ Mich was 3.82. LSP has me at consider but I've been complete for 8 weeks and think I should just be prepping for the worst :|
Did you transfer out of Michigan? How do you go from 3.82 to 2.7 with conversion?
I transferred to Michigan from another college (via SAT/ACT scores and begging). My GPA @ my first UG was TTT.
Oh, gotcha. I still think you have a decent chance, especially with that huge upward trend at their own school, with the good LSAT

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:17 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Just trust me, it happened last year to some of the applicants. Former students already have their UMID and account set up, unlike new applicants who have that created for them by the law school. So if their system finds a discrepancy between the information in the account and the information in the application, it gives an incomplete error and must be corrected before they'll proceed with reviewing your application. I'm not sure that that is the case for you, but it's always a possibility, especially if you've been out of UG for any length of time...
Well I added the address listed on my application to my account (although I have my permenant address listed on both). I immediately checked the status checker. Still incomplete.

you would think this process would teach me patience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:20 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Just trust me, it happened last year to some of the applicants. Former students already have their UMID and account set up, unlike new applicants who have that created for them by the law school. So if their system finds a discrepancy between the information in the account and the information in the application, it gives an incomplete error and must be corrected before they'll proceed with reviewing your application. I'm not sure that that is the case for you, but it's always a possibility, especially if you've been out of UG for any length of time...
Well I added the address listed on my application to my account (although I have my permenant address listed on both). I immediately checked the status checker. Still incomplete.

you would think this process would teach me patience.
Your current addresses are the same, right? I think it takes some time for them to update it...

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am

I'm getting really frustrated with Michigan. I submitted late October, went complete late November.. and have heard nothing since. Boo.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:24 am

Is applying this late really going to hurt me? I'm starting to get a little nervous even though I think I've got a good shot... (3.62/171)

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:31 am

boilercat wrote:Is applying this late really going to hurt me? I'm starting to get a little nervous even though I think I've got a good shot... (3.62/171)
I mean, lets be honest, you're going to apply anyway even if someone on here says "omg you have NO shot. retake the lsat and apply again next year the first day you can." So might as well just hit the submit button and join the rest of us waiting for status checkers that will never come.

But in all seriousness, i doubt it will hurt you. It just isnt going to help you. I think were in that in between period. Its too late to get an early app boost, but we havent reached the point where most spots are given out and it would be almost better to wait a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:51 am

julesm2200 wrote:
boilercat wrote:Is applying this late really going to hurt me? I'm starting to get a little nervous even though I think I've got a good shot... (3.62/171)
But in all seriousness, i doubt it will hurt you. It just isnt going to help you. I think were in that in between period. Its too late to get an early app boost, but we havent reached the point where most spots are given out and it would be almost better to wait a year.

I'm fine with that, as I think my numbers give me a pretty good shot. I got a fee waiver and I think I'll be able to write a really compelling Why Mich because I really like the school.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 am

yeah, youre definitely in admit territory. So take a day or two, write a compelling why mich statement, and send it in. Waiting longer isnt going to help you at all. Just get it done.

If you want me to look at your why mich I'd be glad too. I went there for undergrad and like to spread the love.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:45 am

Last edited by Joan Hollaway on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Applied 11/30, just got my status checker / notice of completion today. Nice to add a fresh checker to the rotation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LS18

New

Post by LS18 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm

Does Michigan differentiate between complete/under review in the status checker or is complete the last stage before decision?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:44 pm

"Dear Holydonkey:

We're happy to tell you that your University of Michigan Law School application..." (yes? yes?????)

...is now far enough advanced in the processing stage for you to use our Online Status Checker."

Captain Kirk: MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICHHHHHHHHHHIGAN!!!!!!!!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

LS18 wrote:Does Michigan differentiate between complete/under review in the status checker or is complete the last stage before decision?
I'd like to know this too

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:31 pm

robin600 wrote:
LS18 wrote:Does Michigan differentiate between complete/under review in the status checker or is complete the last stage before decision?
I'd like to know this too
Complete is indeed the last stage before Decision. There's no separate status to indicate when you go under review.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Have folks submitted their Darrow essays yet?

Anyone want to trade? (Not yet done with mine, though!)

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Have folks submitted their Darrow essays yet?

Submitted on the 11/23. I got my invite on the 11/16. Still haven't heard back though.

aussie3b

New

Post by aussie3b » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 pm

ankit wrote:

Submitted on the 11/23. I got my invite on the 11/16. Still haven't heard back though.
Submitted on the 12/29 (that was the deadline they gave me) waiting. It was painful to have to write another short essay about myself that was even remotley compelling.

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

aussie3b wrote:
ankit wrote:

Submitted on the 12/29 (that was the deadline they gave me) waiting. It was painful to have to write another short essay about myself that was even remotley compelling.
Yep....let's hope we hear something soon. Looks like decisions for the first batch went out around the first Tuesday/Wednesday of the new year, last cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 pm

For the first time I can log into admitted students webpage (which wasn't true last night!!! I am so happy to say that I'm in!!

I'm 169/3.7 submitted in mid Nov and have had the status checker for a while.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:58 pm

GMVarun wrote:For the first time I can log into admitted students webpage (which wasn't true last night!!! I am so happy to say that I'm in!!

Congratulations!

Just tried logging into the AS section for the first time (was nervous after seeing that Dean Z can see attempted log ins). But - red text. I have very similar stats (slightly lower GPA, tho, so I'm not assuming anything) and submitted mid Nov too. When did you receive your status checker? I've only had mine for a couple of weeks.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 pm

My alma mater continues to shun me :(

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:25 pm

beesknees wrote:
GMVarun wrote:For the first time I can log into admitted students webpage (which wasn't true last night!!! I am so happy to say that I'm in!!

Congratulations!

Just tried logging into the AS section for the first time (was nervous after seeing that Dean Z can see attempted log ins). But - red text. I have very similar stats (slightly lower GPA, tho, so I'm not assuming anything) and submitted mid Nov too. When did you receive your status checker? I've only had mine for a couple of weeks.
Thanks, I'm really happy! I just checked and the date I got my email was 12/2. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”