michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Just discovered a really, really moronic typo in one of my optional essays. kickingself
Reason #1 not to go back and re-read your submitted applications :P

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Got my acceptance packet today. I didn't realize they sent a USB drive as well. Anyway, it's nice how quickly they sent the acceptance letter. Even got a personal note, but I'm sure that's probably standard.
Whoa whoa whoa! Slow down there... seriously that was quick. :)

Congrats!!!
Last edited by minuit on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Just discovered a really, really moronic typo in one of my optional essays. kickingself
Ugh, I knowwwww. I was just trying to remember how I phrased something about my work experience for an LOCI for another school, and saw it. I can not BELIEVE I didn't see it. *sigh* Byebye, Michigan!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 pm

I found one also last week. Actually two, but one is very nitpicky. Thankfully, I've already pretty much given up on U-Mich so it makes the sting of the self-kicking more bearable.

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:
Ugh, I knowwwww. I was just trying to remember how I phrased something about my work experience for an LOCI for another school, and saw it. I can not BELIEVE I didn't see it. *sigh* Byebye, Michigan!
If it makes you feel better, I actually had a repeated sentence in my original personal statement. Literally, the same sentence repeated right after itself. So I sent in a revised copy, only to realize that in my haste to get the new version in, I'd made a grammar mistake in a small wording revision I'd also made. I was devastated and thought for sure I was out, but got in anyway. I wouldn't worry too much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm

got my letter today! my status checker still says "complete".

the letter is dated 2/16, so quick mail time.

Lermontov

Bronze

Post by Lermontov » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 am

It's such a surprising feeling when you enter your info, hit enter, and there's no red text. I'd gotten so used to the red text that, even though I knew what it meant, I still wasn't sure quite what had happened for a moment.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:03 am

Lermontov wrote:It's such a surprising feeling when you enter your info, hit enter, and there's no red text. I'd gotten so used to the red text that, even though I knew what it meant, I still wasn't sure quite what had happened for a moment.
If that day ever comes for me I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:22 am

starstruck393 wrote:
eLegal wrote:I just received a twitter about a new interview with Dean Zearfoss that was posted. Haven't read it yet, but thought I'd share.

http://www.admissionsdean.com/researchi ... h-zearfoss
This is interesting...
Love the quote at the top:
"Ours is a very collegial student body . . . so, I think it’s really important that there not be a high 'jackass' quotient here."

Also, really like how she's honest about the environment and realizes it's not for everyone:
"That said, I recognize that a school-centric environment may not be what everybody is looking for from a law school experience. Some people may want to treat law school like a job. That just means that Michigan is probably not the best school for them – seriously, they might find it oppressively friendly here... Again, because this is such a small, close-knit community with the school at the center, people who come here have to be prepared for that type of environment – again, I understand that this is not the law school experience that everyone is looking for."

This is a pretty long and (what I think, at least) thorough and open interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:28 am

Has anyone else's status just disappeared? Mine still says status date of 2/18, but the status section is blank. Can't log in to ASW. Umm...

TheSharklord

Bronze

Post by TheSharklord » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:30 am

I can see my status (Complete) still... Try refreshing?

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 am

TheSharklord wrote:I can see my status (Complete) still... Try refreshing?
Yeah, it came back just now (still Complete). Weird! Thanks for checking.

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:39 am

Looking at LSN, anyone else worried that they've roughly already admitted the same amount that they did last year and that a sea of yellow is about to wash over the graph?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:54 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:00 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
A Swift wrote:Looking at LSN, anyone else worried that they've roughly already admitted the same amount that they did last year and that a sea of yellow is about to wash over the graph?
LSN may just have more active users this year. That would make sense, as each year more people probably find out about LSN than the previous year.
I'm hoping, although it looks like roughly the same amount of people are on LSN as last year (≈800).

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 pm

From the article:
SZ: You know, there’s not a ton of misinformation out there, but it does come up from time to time. I’ll tell you, I actually had an interesting incident happen just today that I’d like to share with you since it relates to the topic of discussion boards. Right before lunch we got a call from an irate, really angry woman. She identified herself as a neighbor of an applicant who recently received a rejection letter from us – but this applicant had been wait listed at Penn and admitted to Columbia.

AD: A “neighbor,” huh? Is that sort of like the preface to a lot of questions you hear in a law school classroom – “This isn’t me, but I have a friend . . .”?

SZ: [Laughing] It could be, but I’m not really sure. Anyway, she was demanding to know how that could have happened. She wouldn’t tell us the name of the applicant we supposedly denied – and even if she had, of course, we wouldn’t have discussed her file or entertained a conversation with her. But why I bring this up, is because she kept saying over and over, “Whatever you tell me, I’m posting on Top-Law-Schools.com.” Really, she kept repeating this. What I find interesting is how she was beating us over the head with this, as an explicit threat.
:lol: When did TLS become the BBB? Uh Oh, johnnymack537 says that Michigan isn't fair. How could his neighbor get waitlisted at Penn but be denied at Michigan??? Gasp.

/seriously what kind of neighbor has that kind of time on their hands. If it really is a neighbor, this is hella sketch. Actually either way it's hella sketch.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:49 pm

A Swift wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
A Swift wrote:Looking at LSN, anyone else worried that they've roughly already admitted the same amount that they did last year and that a sea of yellow is about to wash over the graph?
LSN may just have more active users this year. That would make sense, as each year more people probably find out about LSN than the previous year.
I'm hoping, although it looks like roughly the same amount of people are on LSN as last year (≈800).
Well the number of applications has gone up more than the number of applicants, so schools might have to admit more people than they have in previous years to fill their classes b/c applicants are giving themselves more options by applying to more schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

holydonkey wrote:From the article:
SZ: You know, there’s not a ton of misinformation out there, but it does come up from time to time. I’ll tell you, I actually had an interesting incident happen just today that I’d like to share with you since it relates to the topic of discussion boards. Right before lunch we got a call from an irate, really angry woman. She identified herself as a neighbor of an applicant who recently received a rejection letter from us – but this applicant had been wait listed at Penn and admitted to Columbia.

AD: A “neighbor,” huh? Is that sort of like the preface to a lot of questions you hear in a law school classroom – “This isn’t me, but I have a friend . . .”?

SZ: [Laughing] It could be, but I’m not really sure. Anyway, she was demanding to know how that could have happened. She wouldn’t tell us the name of the applicant we supposedly denied – and even if she had, of course, we wouldn’t have discussed her file or entertained a conversation with her. But why I bring this up, is because she kept saying over and over, “Whatever you tell me, I’m posting on Top-Law-Schools.com.” Really, she kept repeating this. What I find interesting is how she was beating us over the head with this, as an explicit threat.
:lol: When did TLS become the BBB? Uh Oh, johnnymack537 says that Michigan isn't fair. How could his neighbor get waitlisted at Penn but be denied at Michigan??? Gasp.

/seriously what kind of neighbor has that kind of time on their hands. If it really is a neighbor, this is hella sketch. Actually either way it's hella sketch.
Sounds more like something an irate, really angry mom would do.

argylesocks

New

Post by argylesocks » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Sigh, still waiting.

The silence is making me worried. Is it appropriate to send a LOCI before being waitlisted? Because I really want to send something at this point.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 pm

argylesocks wrote:Sigh, still waiting.

The silence is making me worried. Is it appropriate to send a LOCI before being waitlisted? Because I really want to send something at this point.
I tried that for UVA and it didn't change the outcome one bit. I don't think it matters at all, so I wouldn't bother.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:23 pm

argylesocks wrote:Sigh, still waiting.

Don't worry--Michigan is keeping us ALL waiting! Sigh.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Is there an deadline by which Michigan has to give us some sort of decision? Or can we really just be complete until the summer? It's been nearly four months :(

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:Is there an deadline by which Michigan has to give us some sort of decision? Or can we really just be complete until the summer? It's been nearly four months :(
I'm sure we will get a decision before the deposit deadline.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:Is there an deadline by which Michigan has to give us some sort of decision? Or can we really just be complete until the summer? It's been nearly four months :(
I'm sure we will get a decision before the deposit deadline.

When is the deposit deadline?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm

By mid March pretty much everyone should hear, I would imagine. The only waiting into the summer occurs for the WL...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”