michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:Decision 1/9/10: I just received my rejection letter in Texas.
sry to hear that BB.

boney09

New

Post by boney09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:33 pm

im in PA ..i got package via USPS with the rest of the mail...just had 3 stamps...so I dont know that they mail rejection letters a separate way

Split5

Bronze

Post by Split5 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Got my letter today. Outright rejected in their 80th percentile on LSP.

Yeah Dean Z, I'm impressed now.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Outright rejected in their 80th percentile on LSP.
Wow. Seriously? Sorry...

Can you share your stats?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

So, there aren't any admitted students who have seen the red text on the ASW?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Splint5: I'm sorry, it sucks I'll expect mine tomorrow.

When was your letter postmarked?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 pm

+1. Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised.

boney09

New

Post by boney09 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Never saw the red text...a screen that said access denied but now have access to admitted students site...I didnt try to get in before I received package so I dont know if they wait a few days to give you access

mlipsco

New

Post by mlipsco » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:10 pm

DR 1/12. Just received rejection letter in St. Louis. Good luck everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Veritas wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:Decision 1/9/10: I just received my rejection letter in Texas.
sry to hear that BB.
Thanks. [strike]Butters[/strike] Veritas. I'm not too disappointed, since I wasn't sure I would choose Michigan over Georgetown.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Split5 wrote:Got my letter today. Outright rejected in their 80th percentile on LSP.

WTF??? Now I'm seriously worried about my 77th %tile. Sorry man.

Can you at least ballpark your stats for us?

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Split5 wrote:Got my letter today. Outright rejected in their 80th percentile on LSP.

bastages. Good luck with the rest of your cycle Split

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Ragged wrote:

WTF??? Now I'm seriously worried about my 77th %tile. Sorry man.

Can you at least ballpark your stats for us?
Shit, feeling sick now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Burberry by Burberry

Bronze

Post by Burberry by Burberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I just looked at the envelope my rejection was mailed in: Michigan did not even mail the letter until 1/12/10! The status checker had me at decision 1/9/10, and the rejection letter is dated 1/8/10.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I just looked at the envelope my rejection was mailed in: Michigan did not even mail the letter until 1/12/10! The status checker had me at decision 1/9/10, and the rejection letter is dated 1/8/10.
guess that explains the delay for everyone who went DR on 1/11/10 and we haven't received anything by snail mail.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:31 pm

Just got my rejection letter. DR 1/11 could not login to admitted students website (got the red text). Auto-Admit numbers for Michigan. Wrote the Why Michigan, would have liked to go.

The reject letter was postmarked 1/12.

Here's the jist:

Date
Name/Address

Dear John,

Thank you for your interest, we've complete our review of your app

"We have room for only a fraction of the applicants who apply to Michigan each year, and typically must deny more than 80%; this year, moreover, we have seen an unexpected and very large increase in application volume, making decisions even more challenging than usual. Regrettably, we must refuse admission....,"

I am very sorry....etc. - closing line

Sincerely,

Officer Fukhead

(cue the Super Troopers quotes, lol) and note that only the quoted text is verbatim from the letter. :lol:

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm

poprox wrote:Just got my rejection letter. DR 1/11 could not login to admitted students website (got the red text). Auto-Admit numbers for Michigan. Wrote the Why Michigan, would have liked to go.

Here's the jist:

Date
Name/Address

Dear John,

"We have room for only a fraction of the applicants who apply to Michigan each year, and typically must deny more than 80%; this year, moreover, we have seen an unexpected and very large increase in application volume, making decisions even more challenging than usual. Regrettably, we must refuse admission....,"

Sincerely,

Officer Fukhead

(cue the Super Troopers quotes, lol) and note that only the quoted text is verbatim from the letter. :lol:
Wow with those numbers???? When did you apply??? I bet its YP

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Guess I know what to expect in the mail today, then.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:35 pm

I think UofM might actually be trying to fall in the rankings....

Im rather confused as to why they already admitted many people below or at median and then straight up rejected many people above 75%. Do they not have enough confidence in themselves as a school to think that maybe, just maybe, someone with above a 170 would want to go there? and not just as a backup option?

/rant

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Oli wrote:
poprox wrote:Just got my rejection letter. DR 1/11 could not login to admitted students website (got the red text). Auto-Admit numbers for Michigan. Wrote the Why Michigan, would have liked to go.

Here's the jist:

Date
Name/Address

Dear John,

Sincerely,

Officer Fukhead

Wow with those numbers???? When did you apply??? I bet its YP
I applied within the very first week they were accepting via LSAC. I'm only auto-admit at Michigan, Cornell, and GTown. Strong consider for the rest of the non-HYS t14, and weak consider at Columbia. Michigan just happens to be very LSAT heavy in their LSAT to GPA preference (for index calculations)

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:37 pm

julesm2200 wrote:I think UofM might actually be trying to fall in the rankings....

Im rather confused as to why they already admitted many people below or at median and then straight up rejected many people above 75%. Do they not have enough confidence in themselves as a school to think that maybe, just maybe, someone with above a 170 would want to go there? and not just as a backup option?

/rant
Credited rant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Oli wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:I think UofM might actually be trying to fall in the rankings....

/rant
Credited rant.
Straight up reject isn't YP. It's YS.

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm getting scared. Michigan and GTown were the only auto-admits on LSP that I applied to, and I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I didn't write a Why Mich either...

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 pm

/rant
I have my theory now: to save money without losing rep. Think of it like this - how many of us with at or above 75th numbers expect 30-90k in scholly money? If instead they take mostly median and slightly below historical median candidates, it's a safe bet that most of them will be thrilled to just get in and be more than willing to pay sticker. They could save hundreds of thousans, actually millions of dollars over three years that way. Plus, if they only do it this year, ppl aren't going to suddenly decide that Michigan = Georgetown. It's only a one year blip, right? They are still U of M after all. Plus, hey remeber the 2010 cycle? WOW, that was an odd cycles, things were off everywhere. This protects their yield, saves tons of money, and no one will notice or even care 10 years from now if it's just this one time, obscured by the background of the craziest cycle ever.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Oli wrote:

/rant
Credited rant.
Straight up reject isn't YP. It's YS.
Also, TLS isn't representative of the whole applicant pool. We are going to have more people with high numbers being rejected due to the nature of the site. It isn't indicative of the whole group of DRs.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”