michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:00 pm

steakandeggs wrote:Maybe they are taking extra time with yours because of your disciplinary probation......I saw you wrote this on one of your posts: "I wont go into specifics, but I have so far been accepted to Duke and I have more than just two drinking citations." But you also have outstanding numbers so it could just be the scholarship thing. Good luck!

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone have any guesses on how they are reviewing their applications? Because people with lower numbers and who applied after me have received acceptances? Anyone have any crazy theories?
That was one of my next questions actually was if anyone who has been accepted had to mark yes for Disciplinary Actions? I never had probation, but my school loved to write you up for drinking numerous times with no real consequences other than a note saying "please stop it" haha

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:14 pm

For those who have been admitted, check your email. I just got an email from Michigan. The second sentence is hilarious.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:19 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
steakandeggs wrote:Maybe they are taking extra time with yours because of your disciplinary probation......I saw you wrote this on one of your posts: "I wont go into specifics, but I have so far been accepted to Duke and I have more than just two drinking citations." But you also have outstanding numbers so it could just be the scholarship thing. Good luck!

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone have any guesses on how they are reviewing their applications? Because people with lower numbers and who applied after me have received acceptances? Anyone have any crazy theories?
That was one of my next questions actually was if anyone who has been accepted had to mark yes for Disciplinary Actions? I never had probation, but my school loved to write you up for drinking numerous times with no real consequences other than a note saying "please stop it" haha
This would make a little more sense...I also applied in September and have similar numbers and have heard NADA. I didn't have a disciplinary probation, but I did have to answer an academic one.

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm

toolshed wrote: This would make a little more sense...I also applied in September and have similar numbers and have heard NADA. I didn't have a disciplinary probation, but I did have to answer an academic one.
Could just be standard YP as well. I answered no to all disciplinary questions, and applied on the first day possible. Still haven't heard anything.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:22 pm

T14 wrote:
toolshed wrote: This would make a little more sense...I also applied in September and have similar numbers and have heard NADA. I didn't have a disciplinary probation, but I did have to answer an academic one.
Could just be standard YP as well. I answered no to all disciplinary questions, and applied on the first day possible. Still haven't heard anything.
I could see them YP'ing your numbers. I'd be surprised if they did mine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:23 pm

I wonder if any of the schools just seemingly holding on to some of our applications (high LSAT splitters especially) are just waiting to offer a decision until after the ED period. That gives them the chance to not put us on a WL and discourage us, but also not hurt their yield. And if we get our ED shot in the dark, then we withdraw and no love lost either way. Sort of a YP without any YP-ing going on.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:26 pm

oneforship wrote:I wonder if any of the schools just seemingly holding on to some of our applications (high LSAT splitters especially) are just waiting to offer a decision until after the ED period. That gives them the chance to not put us on a WL and discourage us, but also not hurt their yield. And if we get our ED shot in the dark, then we withdraw and no love lost either way. Sort of a YP without any YP-ing going on.
Not a bad theory. Entirely maddening on our end, but possible.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Michigan has more cross-admits with Harvard than any other school. That's Dean Z's "we don't YP" evidence. Take it as you will. I would just love a Michigan acceptance.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the happy splitter thoughts oneforship. I just recently got my apps in, so I'm anticipating a long wait period before I hear anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:29 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Michigan has more cross-admits with Harvard than any other school. That's Dean Z's "we don't YP" evidence. Take it as you will. I would just love a Michigan acceptance.
This is compatible with what I postulated, because Harvard admits won't be ED admits anywhere. So if UMich waits until after ED period to decide on the highest of high, they will see they still have a shot at those students as opposed to those bound to attend CLS and NYU.

Meh. It doesn't matter either way, the wait still isn't fun.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:33 pm

ur not alone, i went complete on 10/21 and have pretty high numbers for michigan. so far no word and i cant log into the admitted students site. im pretty sure its not YP since someone with a 175/3.9 got in already, so either im WL/rejected or my app is at the bottom of the pile.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm

irie wrote:
ur not alone, i went complete on 10/21 and have pretty high numbers for michigan. so far no word and i cant log into the admitted students site. im pretty sure its not YP since someone with a 175/3.9 got in already, so either im WL/rejected or my app is at the bottom of the pile.
Yea, I dont know what they are doing with all of us who havent heard and applied in September or early October?! :(

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:38 pm

toolshed wrote:
oneforship wrote:I wonder if any of the schools just seemingly holding on to some of our applications (high LSAT splitters especially) are just waiting to offer a decision until after the ED period. That gives them the chance to not put us on a WL and discourage us, but also not hurt their yield. And if we get our ED shot in the dark, then we withdraw and no love lost either way. Sort of a YP without any YP-ing going on.
Not a bad theory. Entirely maddening on our end, but possible.
this is actually a pretty good theory, i am (sorta) a high lsat splitter and have not heard from any schools yet (uva, duke, michigan) but applied within the first couples days for all 3 and went complete early on.

better late than never i guess, though yes... maddening is the right word for this haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 pm

irie wrote:
That 175 could be a homer, or had some other geographical tie in a Why Michigan. 175+/3.9+ is right in the YP range IMO.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:42 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
irie wrote:
Yea, I dont know what they are doing with all of us who havent heard and applied in September or early October?! :(
Playing Go-Fish with our LSAC reports...

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:42 pm

toolshed wrote:
irie wrote:
That 175 could be a homer, or had some other geographical tie in a Why Michigan. 175+/3.9+ is right in the YP range IMO.
yeah I suppose you're right, it might just be an anomaly.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:43 pm

toolshed wrote:
Hey Dean Z, you have a 173, 3.9?

Dean Z: AHHH GO FISH!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:44 pm

irie wrote:
toolshed wrote:
irie wrote:
yeah I suppose you're right, it might just be an anomaly.
Did you write a Why Michigan?

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:44 pm

T14 wrote:
haha i think for you it's definitely a YP. i'd be curious to see what their YP cut off is for this year though...

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:45 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
toolshed wrote:

EXACTLY. That's pretty much how I figure the whole selection process works anyway.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

toolshed wrote:
nope, but I wrote 2 other "extra essays" though... looking back it boggles my mind why I didn't just write the why michigan one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

I imagine all of the T14 Deans get together in a secret meeting during the cycle and go

One Dean:"Muahaha did you see that one dude __(Insert Name)___ whose trying to get into a T3?"

JR: "Muahaha he has no chance"

Penn Dean: "Hey I got a Why Penn from him, he said Penn was his favorite place!"

UVA Dean: "Ahh what-a-Fucker, he sent that to me too, just crossed out Penn for UVA!"

All: "Lets deny that bastard"
Last edited by 0L Hoping for 1 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:46 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
toolshed wrote:

:lol:

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:47 pm

irie wrote:
toolshed wrote:
nope, but I wrote 2 other "extra essays" though... looking back it boggles my mind why I didn't just write the why michigan one.
I just looked at your numbers....I think if you really want Michigan and are willing to wait, you'll be fine.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I imagine all of the T14 Deans get together in a secret meeting during the cycle and go

One Dean:"Muahaha did you see that one dude __(Insert Name)___ whose trying to get into a T3?"

JR: "Muahaha he has no chance"

Penn Dean: "Hey I got a Why Penn from him, he said Penn was his favorite place!"

UVA Dean: "Ahh what-a-Fucker, he sent that to me too, just crossed out Penn for UVA!"

All: "Lets deny that bastard"
So this is what the Free Masons are up to these days...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”