michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bighead715

Bronze

Re: michigan 2010

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:00 pm

triplecats wrote:My application had the "love" underline and a note saying I should check out Michigan's corporate law offerings. I have no idea where they got corporate law from--I think I told LSAC I was interested in public policy and government--but hey, I'll take it.
sigh, i was hoping it was a very good sign, but it seems like a very enticing ploy to collect $60 from unsuspecting n00bs like me....

phoenix_302

New

Post by phoenix_302 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Oh I see how it is Dean Z...I thought I was special with the "love" underlined :cry:

cunni1775

New

Post by cunni1775 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:35 pm

No, you guys are special. No love for me.

CaptainSnuggleBunny

New

Post by CaptainSnuggleBunny » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 pm

bighead715 wrote:
triplecats wrote:My application had the "love" underline and a note saying I should check out Michigan's corporate law offerings. I have no idea where they got corporate law from--I think I told LSAC I was interested in public policy and government--but hey, I'll take it.
sigh, i was hoping it was a very good sign, but it seems like a very enticing ploy to collect $60 from unsuspecting n00bs like me....
sarah Z wouldn't play that game. At the very least, there's something about you that caught her eye. Give it a shot.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:30 pm

Mine had that, but with international law. I also received a follow up email from Dean Z the other day that went into more detail about int'l law.

I hope I get into Mich. It's my top choice right now and the only school I wrote a "Why X?" for. I think I read somewhere that they just send out mass email updates weekly for things like completion/status checkers; is that true?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjons101

New

Post by jjons101 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Can you guys explain: is there an early deadline for Summer start? UMich website says about 1/4 of students start in the summer. So is there competition among admitted students to get a spot for summer start, or is it a purely personal option? Is it possible to apply for fall start and summer start and be accepted for one but not the other?

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:55 pm

jjons101 wrote:Can you guys explain: is there an early deadline for Summer start? UMich website says about 1/4 of students start in the summer. So is there competition among admitted students to get a spot for summer start, or is it a purely personal option? Is it possible to apply for fall start and summer start and be accepted for one but not the other?
Early decision applicants (those who commit to go if they are accepted) all agree to start in the summer. Their deadline is sometime in November I think (look it up). You can also apply for summer start as a regular decision candidate, in which case the deadline is the same as everyone else. You just have to note which term you are applying for on the application form (summer, fall, or both).

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 pm

CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote: sarah Z wouldn't play that game. At the very least, there's something about you that caught her eye. Give it a shot.
well, i did get a note saying "congrats on your flawless performance at wayne!" i still have some hope...

jackassjim

Bronze

Post by jackassjim » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 pm

bighead715 wrote:
CaptainSnuggleBunny wrote: sarah Z wouldn't play that game. At the very least, there's something about you that caught her eye. Give it a shot.
well, i did get a note saying "congrats on your flawless performance at wayne!" i still have some hope...
Was it actually flawless?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:46 pm

phoenix_302 wrote:awesomepossum,

My numbers aren't stellar, 165/3.8, URM.

I got a fee waiver and received an email from Dean Zearfoss asking if I wanted them to put me in contact with a student there who had similar interests to mine. Is it common for the admissions office to do this? Has anybody else on here been in contact with them? Michigan started out as just an idea for me, but throughout this cycle it's really grown on me. I can safely say (barring miracles) it's my top choice. Anyway, what do you (or anybody else) think my odds are?

I'm asking you in particular 'cuz you seem to be the only one here with first-hand experience.
I think being a URM, your odds would look to be pretty good. Officially Michigan doesn't ask for race info because of state law. I would advise you to write a diversity essay or something of that sort to show your URM status given the absence of a race box.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
phoenix_302 wrote:awesomepossum,

My numbers aren't stellar, 165/3.8, URM.

I got a fee waiver and received an email from Dean Zearfoss asking if I wanted them to put me in contact with a student there who had similar interests to mine. Is it common for the admissions office to do this? Has anybody else on here been in contact with them? Michigan started out as just an idea for me, but throughout this cycle it's really grown on me. I can safely say (barring miracles) it's my top choice. Anyway, what do you (or anybody else) think my odds are?

I'm asking you in particular 'cuz you seem to be the only one here with first-hand experience.
I think being a URM, your odds would look to be pretty good. Officially Michigan doesn't ask for race info because of state law. I would advise you to write a diversity essay or something of that sort to show your URM status given the absence of a race box.

I'm URM and applied last week---there is definitely a race box on the application.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 pm

awesomepossum wrote: Officially Michigan doesn't ask for race info because of state law. I would advise you to write a diversity essay or something of that sort to show your URM status given the absence of a race box.
There's definitely a race box, but I would advise a DS as well. I wrote one and I think it helps school justify that extra boost if one of your numbers aren't above median/75th.

cunni1775

New

Post by cunni1775 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:58 pm

For you guys that wrote a DS for Mich, did you tailor it to the specific question it asks you to address, or did you just send your general DS?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
awesomepossum wrote: Officially Michigan doesn't ask for race info because of state law. I would advise you to write a diversity essay or something of that sort to show your URM status given the absence of a race box.
There's definitely a race box, but I would advise a DS as well. I wrote one and I think it helps school justify that extra boost if one of your numbers aren't above median/75th.

well all race information doesn't go to admissions officers.

http://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/pr ... fault.aspx

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:12 am

awesomepossum wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

well all race information doesn't go to admissions officers.

http://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/pr ... fault.aspx
Even more reason you should write a DS.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:16 am

yeah...that's why I said to do that. :lol:

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 am

Joining the party. Been complete for a while now. Hope I get in the first wave of acceptances around Thanksgiving! Best of luck to you all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:34 am

Yeah I'll bite too. UMich has been climbing the ranks in my eyes recently. It's not in my top 5 but it's close. And given that I don't have blow-away numbers, it's definitely possible I'll be looking long and hard at Ann Arbor (provided, of course, I get in).

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 am

michigan is one of my first choices, i'd be very pleased with it. 3.9/168 and family in michigan, so maybe i have a shot?

also, i've been "complete" for forever- does the status not change to under review? does being complete=under review?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 am

tintin wrote:michigan is one of my first choices, i'd be very pleased with it. 3.9/168 and family in michigan, so maybe i have a shot?

also, i've been "complete" for forever- does the status not change to under review? does being complete=under review?
It goes from complete to decision IIRC. I submitted on Friday, LSDAS sent them my stuff yesterday but I still haven't gotten a status checker email yet. I hope I'm in the first batch on notifications but I doubt I'll be complete in time to make the cut-off.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:34 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
tintin wrote:michigan is one of my first choices, i'd be very pleased with it. 3.9/168 and family in michigan, so maybe i have a shot?

It goes from complete to decision IIRC. I submitted on Friday, LSDAS sent them my stuff yesterday but I still haven't gotten a status checker email yet. I hope I'm in the first batch on notifications but I doubt I'll be complete in time to make the cut-off.
+1 to the first part. Status Checker email seems to indicate that your file is being read.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

+1 to the first part. Status Checker email seems to indicate that your file is being read.
cool, thanks for the clarification. I am praying for a favorable decision, everything i know about michigan makes it seem like an awesome place to go. my uncle went there :)

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Kretzy wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

All the status checker indicates is that your app is progressing through the system, but not that it's been read yet. I think it took a month to get that notification after I applied, though I did apply later in the cycle...

Walfredo47

New

Post by Walfredo47 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:04 pm

bighead715 wrote:

yeah I got that too..we're not special :(

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:32 pm

Man, I'm kind of stressing since I didn't write a Why Michigan essay? I didn't really know those were considered so essential until I did some research here. My numbers are pretty borderline too, 3.85/169. You guys think this hurts my chances?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”