Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Torvon
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Torvon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:sibley have you checked their policy on multiple LSATs? They say on the website that they average the scores. That may be why you do not fit into the pattern you're trying to establish.

How are multiple LSAT scores assessed? For reporting purposes, Georgetown adheres to the ABA policy of reporting the higher LSAT score. For evaluation purposes, the Georgetown Admissions Committee typically averages LSAT scores. Georgetown may consider the higher LSAT score if you have only taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the Admissions Committee should consider.


I only took the LSAT twice and my disability explains my original low score, plus the 12 point jump tends to cause schools who do average to not.


In your opinion it explains your low score, maybe not in theirs. Also, "tends to cause" doesn't seem like you have a very solid argument, especially when the school you are complaining about chooses what "tends to cause" them to do anything.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Torvon wrote:
sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:sibley have you checked their policy on multiple LSATs? They say on the website that they average the scores. That may be why you do not fit into the pattern you're trying to establish.

How are multiple LSAT scores assessed? For reporting purposes, Georgetown adheres to the ABA policy of reporting the higher LSAT score. For evaluation purposes, the Georgetown Admissions Committee typically averages LSAT scores. Georgetown may consider the higher LSAT score if you have only taken the LSAT twice. Please address any mitigating circumstances you feel the Admissions Committee should consider.


I only took the LSAT twice and my disability explains my original low score, plus the 12 point jump tends to cause schools who do average to not.


In your opinion it explains your low score, maybe not in theirs. Also, "tends to cause" doesn't seem like you have a very solid argument, especially when the school you are complaining about chooses what "tends to cause" them to do anything.


I know. I'm just saying there's a basis. Anyway I'll let you guys know what I find out.

megster_29
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby megster_29 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Anyway, not to be insensitive to those who got dinged today, please feel free to keep up the discussions... but as for those of use who don't know yet. All I see for sure in the last few pages is as follows...

LawLover UR 3/19
Eaters333 DR 3/24 but no news yet
HeyZeus UR 3/23
megster_29 (me) UR 3/23...

Who else is still out there.

Also, the only person from this forum who went DR 3/24 that got in was Chutzpa? Crazy, but congrats to you Chutz...

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:47 pm

megster_29 wrote:Anyway, not to be insensitive to those who got dinged today, please feel free to keep up the discussions... but as for those of use who don't know yet. All I see for sure in the last few pages is as follows...

LawLover UR 3/19
Eaters333 DR 3/24 but no news yet
HeyZeus UR 3/23
megster_29 (me) UR 3/23...

Who else is still out there.

Also, the only person from this forum who went DR 3/24 that got in was Chutzpa? Crazy, but congrats to you Chutz...


I actually went UR 2/25 and then this afternoon it switched to DR 2/25 even though today is the 26th. I'm a weird case though. My file was UR multiple times before my February LSAT so they probably remembered me and were able to make a quick decision.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm

megster_29 wrote:Anyway, not to be insensitive to those who got dinged today, please feel free to keep up the discussions... but as for those of use who don't know yet. All I see for sure in the last few pages is as follows...

LawLover UR 3/19
Eaters333 DR 3/24 but no news yet
HeyZeus UR 3/23
megster_29 (me) UR 3/23...

Who else is still out there.

Also, the only person from this forum who went DR 3/24 that got in was Chutzpa? Crazy, but congrats to you Chutz...


Chutz went DR yesterday or today, I think. But she's a special situation - her new score came out late or something...

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Kim617 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm sorry for everyone that got dinged today. :( I don't even know what else to say. Especially for those for whom gulc was #1, I know what it's like to be flat out rejected from your #1. Sorry again.

User avatar
Jules Winnfield
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Jules Winnfield » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody started looking for housing yet?

The Georgetown area is expensive.

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody started looking for housing yet?

The Georgetown area is expensive.


Look on the Hill. Things tend to be a little cheaper and things on the Senate side won't be far from GULC. Remember that the law school is not in Georgetown.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
I know. I'm just saying there's a basis. Anyway I'll let you guys know what I find out.


I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Sibley investigating to see if there's a case. The law makes things perfectly clear with regards to discrimination, and if Sibley thinks that discrimination was involved, why *wouldn't* she investigate further? Hell, if SCOTUS threw out AA tomorrow, there would be ALL KINDS of injunctions against schools for letting in URM candidates with lower scores, and I would be willing to bet that the folks bitching at Sibley would be there too.

If your argument is that she doesn't have a case, that's fine. I'm sure an attorney would advise her as such if that turns out to be the case. You know, a real one. That went to law school. That passed the bar. That learned all of the facts. Not you fine 0Ls who are only too happy to call someone crazy. You don't know her situation, and to assume that you do and then to base assumptions on *those* assumptions is beyond ridiculous.

Do you not think she has the right to due process? The 5th, 7th, and 14th amendments say otherwise. Jesus, some of you people are going to be shitty lawyers if you don't learn open your minds just a *little.*



thanks =) I really appreciate that. I am entitled to proof (ADA in this case is the same as housing law... once a claim is filed, burden of proof falls to the institution not the filer).

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Took a nap and HOLY SHIT!

There are dings?

Guess I live to see another week but this is getting outrageous.

I am a UR 3-23 with bad numbers

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgolimow
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jgolimow » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:18 pm

chutzpah wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody started looking for housing yet?

The Georgetown area is expensive.


Look on the Hill. Things tend to be a little cheaper and things on the Senate side won't be far from GULC. Remember that the law school is not in Georgetown.


Also, the neighborhood right around GULC has gentrified and has a lot of new housing. Not sure how much apartments go for around here (I live with my fiancee within walking distance of GULC) but the condo prices are very reasonable (for DC).

That said, I remember thinking the GTown student housing was still going to be cheaper than anything you could find in the district without roomies -- or being pretty sketchy -- though roomies can make a place sketchy ...

Anybody else spend time at the GTown Admitted Student's Open House these past two days? Thoughts? I was pretty damn impressed ... much more so than when I visited as a prospective ...

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:24 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:25 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:I'm sorry for everyone that got dinged today. :( I don't even know what else to say. Especially for those for whom gulc was #1, I know what it's like to be flat out rejected from your #1. Sorry again.


The rejection from my #1 will be coming soon enough...


I hope not SaintC =(

Kim, how was it? I hope you loved it =) (I know you did yesterday but two days is more than one day!)

Going home to yell at my mother because she won't understand why I'm upset, then to do the same to my boyfriend. Yay.

jml8756
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jml8756 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm

chutzpah wrote:sibley have you checked their policy on multiple LSATs? They say on the website that they average the scores. That may be why you do not fit into the pattern you're trying to establish.


For what it's worth, I don't really think Georgetown averages scores, despite what they may say. I took the LSAT 3 times. Average was 166. High was 175. I submitted my application on the 03/01 deadline and got an acceptance only three weeks later, which makes me think they cared not a bit about my first two miserable scores.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 pm

come on Sibley and the person who was defending her! I realize you are disabled and for that I am sorry. I cannot say I can even begin to understand what is like to live with a disability. But you are acting like a spoiled brat. Seems to be a problem with our society today that we don't teach kids how to deal with failure. We give everyone ribbons for running the race and whenever something bad happens it's everyone else's fault. Sibley, you were a borderline candidate with your stats, not to mention you also had a very low first LSAT. You haven't been accepted at a school near Georgetown in the rankings, so to be so entitled to cry discrimination when you get rejected there is an over reaction. Perhaps there were/are some weaknesses with your application and that is why you got rejected? I just don't know what good could come out of suing Georgetown? Could you get an injunction that would force them to accept you? Would you actually want to attend there if it was proven that they rejected you due to discrimination?

Apart from that, you seem to have got into some very good schools and are waitlisted at some even better ones so I'm sure you'll end up at a very good school. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.

User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby unknownscholar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:10 pm

:?

Very confused about this.

Is the question whether or not there are any disabled students admitted into this incoming class?

Otherwise, I don't understand the issue. And I'd like to because I think there are implications with regard to whether or not the rest of rejects everywhere have a case. Given that the admissions process is so subjective, almost anyone could prove they are a 'good fit' for a school. The most obvious example would be someone with a 180 and 4.0 who does not get accepted into Yale. But I think everyone knows where my line of reasoning is headed...

given how complex that issue is, I'm hoping the answer to my question is a simple, yes.

blackmamba76
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby blackmamba76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:11 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
I know. I'm just saying there's a basis. Anyway I'll let you guys know what I find out.


I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Sibley investigating to see if there's a case. The law makes things perfectly clear with regards to discrimination, and if Sibley thinks that discrimination was involved, why *wouldn't* she investigate further? Hell, if SCOTUS threw out AA tomorrow, there would be ALL KINDS of injunctions against schools for letting in URM candidates with lower scores, and I would be willing to bet that the folks bitching at Sibley would be there too.

If your argument is that she doesn't have a case, that's fine. I'm sure an attorney would advise her as such if that turns out to be the case. You know, a real one. That went to law school. That passed the bar. That learned all of the facts. Not you fine 0Ls who are only too happy to call someone crazy. You don't know her situation, and to assume that you do and then to base assumptions on *those* assumptions is beyond ridiculous.

Do you not think she has the right to due process? The 5th, 7th, and 14th amendments say otherwise. Jesus, some of you people are going to be shitty lawyers if you don't learn open your minds just a *little.*



thanks =) I really appreciate that. I am entitled to proof (ADA in this case is the same as housing law... once a claim is filed, burden of proof falls to the institution not the filer).


Holy crap, if these 0Ls are lawyers that I'm going to be competing with for clients, I'm going to be *really* busy in a few years. "What, someone negligently ran you down with their car? Stop right there. I don't need to know any more. You have no case. Plus, you're crazy. Now get out of my very empty office before I call you more names. I've got TLS forums to flame!"


LMAO!!! But seriously, I agree with you. You got all these idiots trying to get into law school and they are already dismissing a case based on what they see on the surface, isn't that the reason why they subject us to those nerve wrecking logic games, so you can look beyond what's on the surface? Please, Sibley do your research and sue the pants of them if you can make a case. They tell you all these crap about how the admission process is beyond numbers but they use things in your application against you that should count as softs!...Here I come Ph.D Economics program, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, BC, Brown, Michigan.....

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:20 pm

blackmamba76 wrote:LMAO!!! But seriously, I agree with you. You got all these idiots trying to get into law school and they are already dismissing a case based on what they see on the surface, isn't that the reason why they subject us to those nerve wrecking logic games, so you can look beyond what's on the surface? Please, Sibley do your research and sue the pants of them if you can make a case. They tell you all these crap about how the admission process is beyond numbers but they use things in your application against you that should count as softs!...Here I come Ph.D Economics program, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, BC, Brown, Michigan.....


I really don't think anyone is commenting on the merits of the legal case, I think what they are commenting on is the over-reaction of sibley.

gobears09
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby gobears09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

adameus wrote:come on Sibley and the person who was defending her! I realize you are disabled and for that I am sorry. I cannot say I can even begin to understand what is like to live with a disability. But you are acting like a spoiled brat. Seems to be a problem with our society today that we don't teach kids how to deal with failure. We give everyone ribbons for running the race and whenever something bad happens it's everyone else's fault. Sibley, you were a borderline candidate with your stats, not to mention you also had a very low first LSAT. You haven't been accepted at a school near Georgetown in the rankings, so to be so entitled to cry discrimination when you get rejected there is an over reaction. Perhaps there were/are some weaknesses with your application and that is why you got rejected? I just don't know what good could come out of suing Georgetown? Could you get an injunction that would force them to accept you? Would you actually want to attend there if it was proven that they rejected you due to discrimination?

Apart from that, you seem to have got into some very good schools and are waitlisted at some even better ones so I'm sure you'll end up at a very good school. Good luck with the rest of your cycle.


adameus wrote:I really don't think anyone is commenting on the merits of the legal case, I think what they are commenting on is the over-reaction of sibley.


In addition to the fact that her gpa and lsat do not automatically qualify her for acceptance. If she was above both medians, someone might care. She is indeed acting like a spoiled brat, along the same lines she thinks that she was a YP from Hastings. Shes just another person that hasnt had the best cycle.
Last edited by gobears09 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DeSilentio2728
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

adameus wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:LMAO!!! But seriously, I agree with you. You got all these idiots trying to get into law school and they are already dismissing a case based on what they see on the surface, isn't that the reason why they subject us to those nerve wrecking logic games, so you can look beyond what's on the surface? Please, Sibley do your research and sue the pants of them if you can make a case. They tell you all these crap about how the admission process is beyond numbers but they use things in your application against you that should count as softs!...Here I come Ph.D Economics program, Yale, Harvard, Stanford, BC, Brown, Michigan.....


I really don't think anyone is commenting on the merits of the legal case, I think what they are commenting on is the over-reaction of sibley.


If you believe that this is simply someone overreacting to some negative news then why do you feel as though you even need to comment, as your responding in such a way would only serve to belittle the person even more during this difficult time?

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:30 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amolson04
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:03 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby amolson04 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:30 pm

jgolimow wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:Has anybody started looking for housing yet?

The Georgetown area is expensive.


Look on the Hill. Things tend to be a little cheaper and things on the Senate side won't be far from GULC. Remember that the law school is not in Georgetown.


Also, the neighborhood right around GULC has gentrified and has a lot of new housing. Not sure how much apartments go for around here (I live with my fiancee within walking distance of GULC) but the condo prices are very reasonable (for DC).

That said, I remember thinking the GTown student housing was still going to be cheaper than anything you could find in the district without roomies -- or being pretty sketchy -- though roomies can make a place sketchy ...

Anybody else spend time at the GTown Admitted Student's Open House these past two days? Thoughts? I was pretty damn impressed ... much more so than when I visited as a prospective ...


+1 - I wanted to go soooo badly but the plane ticket + taking 2~3 days off work unpaid was financially unfeasible ... I'd love to hear what impressions y'all had. I'm thinking of going to one of their open houses in other cities ...

also, what do you guys think of gewirz? i've been out of school and living alone for 2 years, so i'm not thrilled about living with stranger/s again ... but it might be worth it, considering the financial benefits ...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], joezze, MSNbot Media, patrickkpaul and 6 guests