Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:03 am

blackmamba76 wrote:
sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:
sibley wrote:no =( but I'd love it if you tried.

Let me have your lsac # so I'll pretend I'm you when I call, just in case they get pissed that I called!

lol... use chutzpah's.
I've been schmoozing witih a professor at gtown. I hope that somehow helps me out. plus he's a really nice guy and is in charge of the program I want.

Would it be safe to assume if we don't get the reject/wl email today, we should expect admit snail mail by say tomorrow or Monday? I'm in the south, so mine could take a few days before getting here.

no =( not safe. could have us destroyed emotionally. ok to hope though.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am

sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:
sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:If we just call the admissions office do you think they'll tell us if we got in or not? I can't go through the weekend without knowing, especially if I don't get an email today.

no =( but I'd love it if you tried.

Let me have your lsac # so I'll pretend I'm you when I call, just in case they get pissed that I called!

lol... use chutzpah's.
I've been schmoozing witih a professor at gtown. I hope that somehow helps me out. plus he's a really nice guy and is in charge of the program I want.

Elaborate if you don't mind. Sounds intriguing.

gracekim123

Postby gracekim123 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 am

I think I'm going to be sick.

I've been accepted to every other school in the DC area, but THIS is the one I want! I wish GULC wanted me too. *sob*

Sorry for the drama, it's been a ridiculously long UR process. How many times can they possibly look at our apps? Nothing's going to change! IN or OUT??? I was tempted to go to GULC yesterday and drunkenly ask why they haven't called me or texted or emailed me yet.

UR 1/6, 1/16, 2/15, 3/16
DR 3/24

Argh.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:24 am

beef wellington wrote:
sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Let me have your lsac # so I'll pretend I'm you when I call, just in case they get pissed that I called!

lol... use chutzpah's.

Elaborate if you don't mind. Sounds intriguing.

I emailed the director of one of their institutes who forwarded my message to a professor who's in charge of law students' participation. I told him (and the director as well...she's adjunct at the law school) a little of my background and asked how the program worked. He gave me info. Not much, but he did answer the questions I asked. He also told me to get in contact with him if I was admitted and decided to attend and we could start figuring stuff out. I responded in a very pleased manner because both of them responded to me within just a few hours and overall just seemed really helpful/eager to please, talking about how the program's there for the students, etc. I told him as fate/coincidence would have it I went DR soon after emailing him and was expecting to be waitlisted but hoping special preferred. He then responded casually (lack of formatting, etc) asking about the different waitlists. So I told him about them. And I added a smiley face. Because he started the casual repertoire so I decided it was okay.
That's all.

I think admissions decisions are done anonymously so schmoozing wouldn't help, but by including my background (which is pretty unique... haven't seen anyone else on here who has a similar one, anyway) if one of them happened to be on the adcomm (which they probably weren't as they both answered very quickly) they'd still probably be able to tell who I was. Maybe it'll help for the WL, who knows. But I honestly am just super excited about the certificate program and really wanted to find out more about it.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:31 am

Sounds like good material for a LOCI if nothing else.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 am

beef wellington wrote:Sounds like good material for a LOCI if nothing else.

'xactly. move me up to the special preferred group!

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 am

I called them. I love that they have an automated admissions office.
Options are 3 then 3 again if you're gonna call =P

She said emails are sent out within a week but couldn't give me details as to when Wednesday's would go out, but said that it could be next week (obviously by next Wednesday though). I don't think it'll take that long since the dings went out immediately. I asked if the delay was due to having to figure out waitlist places or other academic situations and she said it was mostly just the process, how long it takes them to finish up(I assume the in-between steps that we don't know about).

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:43 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megster_29

Postby megster_29 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:47 am

Hey, Sib... you said that some people who went DR 3/24 already got dinged? Who? I know scarlet got a ding, but she never went DR.

I am not entirely convinced that all of you who went DR 3/24 are waiting for the same answer. I think that those of us who are still waiting are special, in the sense that they looked at all of our apps and instead of giving us the auto reject or waitlist our numbers deserved they decided to hang on to us for some reason or other (really high splitter, outstanding softs, or URM) and decided to give us a chance until the end of the cycle so they could see how many of us they can accept. Unfortunately I am sure that not many of us will get straight up admitted, but I think some of us will.

Anyway, I don't think there is a difference between the UR 3/16 and UR 3/23 or 3/24 group. I think they seriously just started reviewing some of us again sooner and so those people will get their decisions first and they will be a mix of dings, WL, and acceptances.

Does that make sense? I know that earlier in the cycle DR on the same day is usually a blanket decision for everyone, but I think it might be different in our cases. I guess we'll know in a couple days.

Also... GOOD LUCK to all of you. The wait is almost over!

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:53 am

megster_29 wrote:Hey, Sib... you said that some people who went DR 3/24 already got dinged? Who? I know scarlet got a ding, but she never went DR.

I don't think we'll all get the same outcome either. But I think it's more likely we'll be varying types of WLs than admits and WLs. I'm holding out some hope because someone with identical numbers to mine was special preferred WL then admitted the 15th of this month, so maybe they're realizing exactly what they need now.
I think scarlet got a ding but also got DR at the same time... she was 3/16 (for sure) and 3/24 I'm pretty positive. She said she went to a meeting, came back, had a ding and a DR. She just didn't notice the DR first because she wasn't around to and there wasn't much time.
I just think it's hopeful for the rest of us that some dings with our DR date went out immediately. There was one other person who posted but I don't remember who it was or anything about them other than they got dinged the same day as we were DR.

Saint C, my 'unique' experience is just 3 years of immigration employment as a student. Also, my brother went to your undergrad for his grad! UChicago then PhD in physics from urbana/whatever. He's now making chips at Intel.

blackmamba76

Postby blackmamba76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 am

megster_29 wrote:Hey, Sib... you said that some people who went DR 3/24 already got dinged? Who? I know scarlet got a ding, but she never went DR.

I am not entirely convinced that all of you who went DR 3/24 are waiting for the same answer. I think that those of us who are still waiting are special, in the sense that they looked at all of our apps and instead of giving us the auto reject or waitlist our numbers deserved they decided to hang on to us for some reason or other (really high splitter, outstanding softs, or URM) and decided to give us a chance until the end of the cycle so they could see how many of us they can accept. Unfortunately I am sure that not many of us will get straight up admitted, but I think some of us will.

Anyway, I don't think there is a difference between the UR 3/16 and UR 3/23 or 3/24 group. I think they seriously just started reviewing some of us again sooner and so those people will get their decisions first and they will be a mix of dings, WL, and acceptances.

Does that make sense? I know that earlier in the cycle DR on the same day is usually a blanket decision for everyone, but I think it might be different in our cases. I guess we'll know in a couple days.

I hear what you are saying, but what is the rational behind making decisions on several people on the same day and some get emails instantly that they've been rejected while some are still waiting after 2 days? The decision has been made obviously so why the delay? Then looking at recent DR, those that got the email same day were dings, but those that didn't get emails get admitted through snail mail. I guess admissions is just doing whatever they want 'cause they can, while we sit here languishing in anxiety.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 am

blackmamba76 wrote:

I hear what you are saying, but what is the rational behind making decisions on several people on the same day and some get emails instantly that they've been rejected while some are still waiting after 2 days? The decision has been made obviously so why the delay? Then looking at recent DR, those that got the email same day were dings, but those that didn't get emails get admitted through snail mail. I guess admissions is just doing whatever they want 'cause they can, while we sit here languishing in anxiety.

fixed, I think

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megster_29

Postby megster_29 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 am

Hmm... I have to say that it seems pretty cool of Georgetown to really be waiting to take a closer look at some of us who have unique softs, which a lot of schools claim to do, but in reality I think we all know its not true.

Even if (/when) I get rejected I will think it speaks highly of the institution that they kept me around for so long because my LSAT is way low for them. But I am bilingual and have been the head of marketing/PR at an orphanage in Peru for the last 2.5 years (I am still here, which will make waiting for regular mail, if it hopefully comes to that point, especially excruciating.) I want to work in international trade law and development, which is why I want GULC SOOO bad, their program and offerings in International trade law/ WTO are head and shoulders above anything else I have seen.

Anyway, until I can obsess about my own DR I will continue to obsess about your guys' and stalk this forum, haha. (seriously though)

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am

megster_29 wrote:Hmm... I have to say that it seems pretty cool of Georgetown to really be waiting to take a closer look at some of us who have unique softs, which a lot of schools claim to do, but in reality I think we all know its not true.

Even if (/when) I get rejected I will think it speaks highly of the institution that they kept me around for so long because my LSAT is way low for them. But I am bilingual and have been the head of marketing/PR at an orphanage in Peru for the last 2.5 years (I am still here, which will make waiting for regular mail, if it hopefully comes to that point, especially excruciating.) I want to work in international trade law and development, which is why I want GULC SOOO bad, their program and offerings in International trade law/ WTO are head and shoulders above anything else I have seen.

Anyway, until I can obsess about my own DR I will continue to obsess about your guys' and stalk this forum, haha. (seriously though)

COOL! if I'm single and bored with my personal life around 3L I might take in a foster kid. an older one who just needs a roof and a little bit of structure.

blackmamba76

Postby blackmamba76 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 am

sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:

fixed, I think

Thanks Sibley for fixing my post, don't know what happened..........I'm looking out the window to see when the mail comes so I can rush outside and see if there's a little square (or is it rectangular) envelope from GT.....Still no email here.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

blackmamba76 wrote:
Thanks Sibley for fixing my post, don't know what happened..........I'm looking out the window to see when the mail comes so I can rush outside and see if there's a little square (or is it rectangular) envelope from GT.....Still no email here.

yeah I'm freaking out about the email. I just got back from a meeting and it said the little inbox(1) thing on my gmail tab. freaked. but it was just from mint.com.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:

yeah I'm freaking out about the email. I just got back from a meeting and it said the little inbox(1) thing on my gmail tab. freaked. but it was just from mint.com.

The mint.com emails are almost as bad as the dominos pizza ones.

it only emails me once a week or so.... I set it to do so bc obviously i only have like $3 in my checking account or something. it just emails me for $300+ transactions and such.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:47 am

SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
sibley wrote:yeah I'm freaking out about the email. I just got back from a meeting and it said the little inbox(1) thing on my gmail tab. freaked. but it was just from mint.com.

The mint.com emails are almost as bad as the dominos pizza ones.

it only emails me once a week or so.... I set it to do so bc obviously i only have like $3 in my checking account or something. it just emails me for $300+ transactions and such.

On a previous note, I'm just curious how many people that claim to have "strong softs" actually do.

well when we all have strong softs they don't look quite as impressive. being in sports and clubs during college doesn't really count... being on the executive board of clubs counts a tiny bit... being appointed to school committees I think is more substantial since it suggests that the administration of the school values your opinion (or, in my case, that my friend was president of the students' association)... work experience doesn't count for much unless it's unique or applies to your field and suggests you were important... etc...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 am

Here's an interesting thread that speaks to how much softs matter.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98959

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 pm

beef wellington wrote:Here's an interesting thread that speaks to how much softs matter.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98959

that kid could have had a fundamental flaw. something in a lor or his PS. some people just are impossible to get along with, you know? But it's more likely that it was his low LSAT that caused him issue. I mean, softs matter a bit.. but mostly when you're compared to someone with identical numbers.

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 pm

So I just talked to my roommate and she said that after her status checker went "decision rendered" that it was only 2 days before she had her acceptance letter in the mail. It was a small letter that looked like a card!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”