Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:
Kim617 wrote:just got to DC! so the area near here looks a little shady, but i haven't been to the school yet, so i'll let you know what i think!


yay! yeah let us know how it goes! I hope you love it! also, good neighborhoods border on bad ones a lot and I hear georgetown's nice =)


the law school isn't in Georgetown. Its downtown, near Union Station. Kim, don't wander too far due north. The area around North Capitol north of Union Station is not so great, though a lot of people love the new bars and stuff on H st NE. Anything South and West of the school is great though. Since you like shopping I recommend strolling over to gallery place/chinatown (like 7th and H sts NW) and if you have time going to Georgetown proper (M st west of 24th).

edit: don't mean to sound alarmist. the first time i went to dc i got off the bus at the greyhound station, which at the time was in a not-so-great area north of union station and had a bad first impression of the city. been here 4 years and love it and almost always feel safe.


I was under the impression that georgetown isn't actually that far away from the law school/capitol/etc


you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 pm

sibley wrote:I was under the impression that georgetown isn't actually that far away from the law school/capitol/etc


Its probably a solid 3 or 4 miles. Also there is no metro stop in Georgetown because the residents wanted to keep the riffraff out, or at least that's how the story goes. But you can take the orange/blue lines to Foggy Bottom and walk or take the Circulator or take the "blue bus" from Dupont or Rosslyn stations.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:38 pm

unknownscholar wrote:you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.



sounds like any urban school =) I went to U of R, and our conservatory, Eastman School of Music (tied for #1 with Juliard, apparently! who knew. glad I took a class there), was like a block from a very popular Y next to a very popular second shelter... always had cops/ambulances around to control the homeless people as a lot of them are that way due to mental illness/addictions. And the main campus is separated by a river from what's considered the roughest neighborhood in the little city.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:39 pm

chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:I was under the impression that georgetown isn't actually that far away from the law school/capitol/etc


Its probably a solid 3 or 4 miles. Also there is no metro stop in Georgetown because the residents wanted to keep the riffraff out, or at least that's how the story goes. But you can take the orange/blue lines to Foggy Bottom and walk or take the Circulator or take the "blue bus" from Dupont or Rosslyn stations.


foggy bottom and dupont circle seem like places I would consider living.

User avatar
unknownscholar
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby unknownscholar » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:46 pm

sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.



sounds like any urban school =) I went to U of R, and our conservatory, Eastman School of Music (tied for #1 with Juliard, apparently! who knew. glad I took a class there), was like a block from a very popular Y next to a very popular second shelter... always had cops/ambulances around to control the homeless people as a lot of them are that way due to mental illness/addictions. And the main campus is separated by a river from what's considered the roughest neighborhood in the little city.


definitely prime location, imo. fwiw, I think just crossing wisconsin ave is like night and day.
If I need to stay in DC, I'm moving east. dupont and columbia heights are on my radar.

law_lover
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby law_lover » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Is anyone else UR 3/19?

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Kim617 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 pm

So I'm here! The area around the school isn't bad, I grew up in brooklyn so I'm not too worried about it here. It looks nice actually! The facilities seem nice so far, right now I'm waiting to watch a broadcast of a live class. We should get a tour around 3!

Scarletlady
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Scarletlady » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:17 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:I was under the impression that georgetown isn't actually that far away from the law school/capitol/etc


Its probably a solid 3 or 4 miles. Also there is no metro stop in Georgetown because the residents wanted to keep the riffraff out, or at least that's how the story goes. But you can take the orange/blue lines to Foggy Bottom and walk or take the Circulator or take the "blue bus" from Dupont or Rosslyn stations.


foggy bottom and dupont circle seem like places I would consider living.


I would suggest looking on the Hill. Foggy Bottom is pretty pricey and loaded with GW undergrads. Most of the kids I know at GULC now are either in the immediate area of the school (apartments on Mass Ave/Chinatown), the Hill proper (Senate side, its about a 15-20 minute walk), or more rarely in northern VA.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:23 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chutzpah
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby chutzpah » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Scarletlady wrote:
sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
sibley wrote:I was under the impression that georgetown isn't actually that far away from the law school/capitol/etc


Its probably a solid 3 or 4 miles. Also there is no metro stop in Georgetown because the residents wanted to keep the riffraff out, or at least that's how the story goes. But you can take the orange/blue lines to Foggy Bottom and walk or take the Circulator or take the "blue bus" from Dupont or Rosslyn stations.


foggy bottom and dupont circle seem like places I would consider living.


I would suggest looking on the Hill. Foggy Bottom is pretty pricey and loaded with GW undergrads. Most of the kids I know at GULC now are either in the immediate area of the school (apartments on Mass Ave/Chinatown), the Hill proper (Senate side, its about a 15-20 minute walk), or more rarely in northern VA.


I second the foggy bottom comment. I live kind of in between FB and Dupont and my rent is absurd. Its manageable bc I work, but if I were a student I would not want to pay this.

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

What about a butterfly farm????

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby lt0826 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm

unknownscholar wrote:
you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.


Probably some Dear LazyWeb questions here but how long is your commute on the shuttle and what hours does the shuttle run?

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

I just received an email from GTown telling me I will be considered for a scholarship and to respond telling them how much I would like. Do they send this to everyone? I am happy my numbers got me in and wasn't expecting any money. I was offered a full ride at my local T2 school so am waying that against Georgetown, what should I ask for that I actually have a chance of getting?

User avatar
Shellbelle
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:36 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:43 pm

random question for admits:

when is orientation/first day of instruction?

Just curious...and for whatever reason the website doesn't seem to want to work with me.

Thanks!

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby soullogical » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 pm

DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 pm

soullogical wrote:DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?


what are your stats and are you urm?

and I think they email for wl and rj and mail for admits?

User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby pertristis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:04 pm

soullogical wrote:DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?


Emails are sent out for WL/rejects. Admits are sent by snail mail, and will have a handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:05 pm

pertristis wrote:
soullogical wrote:DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?


Emails are sent out for WL/rejects. Admits are sent by snail mail, and will have a handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt.


I love his last name. I hope he writes to me.

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby soullogical » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:08 pm

sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.



sounds like any urban school =) I went to U of R, and our conservatory, Eastman School of Music (tied for #1 with Juliard, apparently! who knew. glad I took a class there), was like a block from a very popular Y next to a very popular second shelter... always had cops/ambulances around to control the homeless people as a lot of them are that way due to mental illness/addictions. And the main campus is separated by a river from what's considered the roughest neighborhood in the little city.


I grew up 15 mins from U of R,(19th ward). But the bolded is not the "roughest area" in Rochester.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 pm

soullogical wrote:
sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.



sounds like any urban school =) I went to U of R, and our conservatory, Eastman School of Music (tied for #1 with Juliard, apparently! who knew. glad I took a class there), was like a block from a very popular Y next to a very popular second shelter... always had cops/ambulances around to control the homeless people as a lot of them are that way due to mental illness/addictions. And the main campus is separated by a river from what's considered the roughest neighborhood in the little city.


I grew up 15 mins from U of R,(19th ward). But the bolded is not the "roughest area" in Rochester.


I said "Considered." It's also the highest educated area in Rochester (but maybe next to the white coat ghetto now?).

I did see a kid with a gun on the footbridge, though. That was a little scary... I was all by myself

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby soullogical » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:13 pm

pertristis wrote:
soullogical wrote:DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?


Emails are sent out for WL/rejects. Admits are sent by snail mail, and will have a handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt.



I hope you're right..

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:14 pm

soullogical wrote:
pertristis wrote:
soullogical wrote:DR 3/24..So does GULC ever send an email for admits, or is it for wl/rejects?


Emails are sent out for WL/rejects. Admits are sent by snail mail, and will have a handwritten note from Dean Cornblatt.



I hope you're right..


2 people with DR dates yesterday were rejected yesterday (at least who posted on here) so I think that means WL for us... hoping for Special Preferred.

edit: we're all weird: either splitters or interesting softs and low numbers
Last edited by sibley on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:14 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
soullogical
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby soullogical » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:14 pm

sibley wrote:
soullogical wrote:
sibley wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:you all probably know this, but gulc is next to a homeless shelter. georgetown main campus is about a 20 min shuttle ride way from gulc. it's day and night between the two areas, imo. I prefer gulc's location. And I live in gu, proper.



sounds like any urban school =) I went to U of R, and our conservatory, Eastman School of Music (tied for #1 with Juliard, apparently! who knew. glad I took a class there), was like a block from a very popular Y next to a very popular second shelter... always had cops/ambulances around to control the homeless people as a lot of them are that way due to mental illness/addictions. And the main campus is separated by a river from what's considered the roughest neighborhood in the little city.


I grew up 15 mins from U of R,(19th ward). But the bolded is not the "roughest area" in Rochester.


I said "Considered." It's also the highest educated area in Rochester (but maybe next to the white coat ghetto now?).

I did see a kid with a gun on the footbridge, though. That was a little scary... I was all by myself


Yeah it can be a little sketchy at times.

User avatar
SaintClarence27
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SaintClarence27 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:07 pm

.
Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beluckycrimson, YasTheSpaz and 7 guests