Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kim617

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
Kim617 wrote:I'm an alternate as well. Do you think we'll actually get something? I was sort of thinking this was them saying "We considered you, but it's a no." I hope you're right!

Well, the main thing is that they've sent out a lot of offers right now, so they need to hear back before they know how much money they have. The way I see it is that if I was not an alternate, I'd have no shot at receiving anything. Now that I'm an alternate, there's hope. And I just love GULC so much. <3

Me too. I'm praying they give me SOMETHING!

I know. No offense to other posters out there, but it just kills me when people complain on here about getting offered only a small amount of merit aid from GULC. I would love to get anything to help offset my costs, and I hope their GULC's money does go to people like us, who legitimately want to attend the school with whatever aid they can offer.

Exactly. I'll take anything I can get at this point! Good luck to you!

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:34 pm

You, too! Keep us posted if they make you any offers. Here's to hoping we'll be classmates in August :)

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:36 pm

starrydecisus wrote:You, too! Keep us posted if they make you any offers. Here's to hoping we'll be classmates in August :)

You should join the fb group! It's in the GULC 2013 thread in the TLS Class of 2013 section.

megster_29

Postby megster_29 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 am

I have a theory I want to test out... how many of you who have been under review since Feb. are splitters? I am a high GPA/Low LSAT splitter and I know Sib is an opposite splitter (whose LSAT score I would kill for). What about the rest of you?

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

low gpa

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

megster_29 wrote:I have a theory I want to test out... how many of you who have been under review since Feb. are splitters? I am a high GPA/Low LSAT splitter and I know Sib is an opposite splitter (whose LSAT score I would kill for). What about the rest of you?

and I'll take your GPA =)

law_lover

Postby law_lover » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 pm

High GPA.

I noticed on the Georgetown WL thread that a letter someone posted stated that there was no room (currently) for people on the SPWL. It makes you wonder why they are taking so long to reach a decision on us...

happyhopes

Postby happyhopes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

starrydecisus wrote:I know. No offense to other posters out there, but it just kills me when people complain on here about getting offered only a small amount of merit aid from GULC. I would love to get anything to help offset my costs, and I hope their GULC's money does go to people like us, who legitimately want to attend the school with whatever aid they can offer.

I am NOT one of those people! I'm very happy and grateful today.

I e-mailed GULC last week requesting financial aid, and they wrote back and basically said it was unlikely as they'd already made all their offers, but that they'd start considering making more offers after the April 1 deadline.

Then today I receive an e-mail offering me 5K a year! Which might be the lowest scholarship offer ever, but I'm still thrilled that they want me enough to offer even that. I have to confirm by the April 12th, hopefully I'll hear from more of my schools by then, or have a scholarship from somewhere else to counter with. Hooray either way though.

Good luck to everyone still waiting it out...!

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 pm

law_lover wrote:High GPA.

I noticed on the Georgetown WL thread that a letter someone posted stated that there was no room (currently) for people on the SPWL. It makes you wonder why they are taking so long to reach a decision on us...

good question. my ur date hasnt changed in over a month. im assuming they forgot to reject me or something

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Last edited by SaintClarence27 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:51 pm

pollaclc wrote:

good question. my ur date hasnt changed in over a month. im assuming they forgot to reject me or something

pollaclc wrote:

++++ 1000000000000000000000000000000000

law_lover

Postby law_lover » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

pollaclc wrote:

I was in the same boat. I was UR for a month, but it updated a couple of days ago.

detljgh

Postby detljgh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:57 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
I know. No offense to other posters out there, but it just kills me when people complain on here about getting offered only a small amount of merit aid from GULC. I would love to get anything to help offset my costs, and I hope their GULC's money does go to people like us, who legitimately want to attend the school with whatever aid they can offer.

That's kinda dumb. Are you saying you want to go to GULC no matter what? Over your fat vandy offer? Over Columbia in the off chance you get in? I want to go to Georgetown pretty bad, but I have a bigger offer from a better school that they didn't even come close to matching, and others have experienced this too. Why shouldn't we be upset about getting low-balled from a place we really like?

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:08 pm

law_lover wrote:
pollaclc wrote:

I was in the same boat. I was UR for a month, but it updated a couple of days ago.

I was just looking on LSN and it looks like there's a boatload of admitted students, with few withdrawals and very few offers of admission accepted (their "accepted" is what's called "admitted" here, right?). Wouldn't that be what's holding up the process? Students with offers who won't be attending, but who haven't withdrawn yet?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 pm

fastforward wrote:
law_lover wrote:
pollaclc wrote:

I was just looking on LSN and it looks like there's a boatload of admitted students, with few withdrawals and very few offers of admission accepted (their "accepted" is what's called "admitted" here, right?). Wouldn't that be what's holding up the process? Students with offers who won't be attending, but who haven't withdrawn yet?

yeah... the kids who are waiting to hear from NYU, who is being slow.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

happyhopes wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:I know. No offense to other posters out there, but it just kills me when people complain on here about getting offered only a small amount of merit aid from GULC. I would love to get anything to help offset my costs, and I hope their GULC's money does go to people like us, who legitimately want to attend the school with whatever aid they can offer.

I am NOT one of those people! I'm very happy and grateful today.

I e-mailed GULC last week requesting financial aid, and they wrote back and basically said it was unlikely as they'd already made all their offers, but that they'd start considering making more offers after the April 1 deadline.

Then today I receive an e-mail offering me 5K a year! Which might be the lowest scholarship offer ever, but I'm still thrilled that they want me enough to offer even that. I have to confirm by the April 12th, hopefully I'll hear from more of my schools by then, or have a scholarship from somewhere else to counter with. Hooray either way though.

Good luck to everyone still waiting it out...!

Jealous! I hope I hear from them too soon :) Even for 5K per year, it's 5K per year less to pay :) What are your numbers? You can PM me if you don't want them on here. I'm happy for you! Do you hope to attend GULC?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Is anyone else UR updated to 3/16? That's where mine's at... stuck at... =/

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:28 pm

sibley wrote:Is anyone else UR updated to 3/16? That's where mine's at... stuck at... =/

I'm stuck at UR 3/16.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:
sibley wrote:Is anyone else UR updated to 3/16? That's where mine's at... stuck at... =/

I'm stuck at UR 3/16.

you think it's a good thing? there were some updated after that but it appears they were waitlisted. preferred though. I'd rather be preferred waitlisted now than later....

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

sibley wrote:
cardinalandgold wrote:

I'm stuck at UR 3/16.

you think it's a good thing? there were some updated after that but it appears they were waitlisted. preferred though. I'd rather be preferred waitlisted now than later....

I'm not sure what to think. Trying to stay positive though, so hopefully its a good sign! :)

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

detljgh wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:

That's kinda dumb. Are you saying you want to go to GULC no matter what? Over your fat vandy offer? Over Columbia in the off chance you get in? I want to go to Georgetown pretty bad, but I have a bigger offer from a better school that they didn't even come close to matching, and others have experienced this too. Why shouldn't we be upset about getting low-balled from a place we really like?

I will say this. I don't believe in attending a law school simply because it is higher ranked or more prestigious. I also don't think that I should make a decision based solely on financial offers. Deciding on a Law school, on where I will be for at least the next three years of my life is a big deal, and a decision that I wouldn't make solely on the fact that Columbia is Columbia or that Vandy offered me lots of money, or even that Virginia is a T10. For many reasons, GULC is where I feel the most comfortable and the school that I believe has the best options for me and my future career goals. I felt like I belonged there at the ASW, and I've always come back to GULC after considering other schools. I have not officially made a decision, because as I said, it's not a decision that I'll make on a whim. Dean Cornblatt said it right at the ASW when he said to go to the school that is right for you, even if it's not Georgetown. But for me, I have been feeling like it is.

To clarify my other comment re: financial aid, I just get upset when people hate on GULC because they were offered only a small scholarship, when there are a ton of people who would kill for that. We all know GULC doesn't have the biggest scholarship budget of T14 and T20 schools, and I feel like they try to give less money to more people, rather than giving out a few full rides like other schools do. I get annoyed when people act as if they are entitled to scholarships. I understand being disappointed when not being offered more money, but no one (not even a 180/4.0) is entitled to anything, especially in the game that is law school admissions. Besides, GULC has a great LRAP program.

heyzeus

Postby heyzeus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:55 pm

STILLLL UR 2/19 can't they just pick up their coffee mug red stamp my app and put me out of my misery. This is obviously too much to ask.

cyh

Postby cyh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm

heyzeus wrote:STILLLL UR 2/19 can't they just pick up their coffee mug red stamp my app and put me out of my misery. This is obviously too much to ask.

++++++++++++++++++ 1

madforsadness

Postby madforsadness » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:31 pm

heyzeus wrote:STILLLL UR 2/19 can't they just pick up their coffee mug red stamp my app and put me out of my misery. This is obviously too much to ask.

agreed! STILL at UR 2/19 as well! they seriously need to reject me already!

otherside220

Postby otherside220 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:00 pm

UR 2/12 my application is inaccessibly squished in the back of a file cabinet

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”