Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
pertristis
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby pertristis » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:17 am

I guess I neglected to post this in this forum, alongside the GULC waitlist forum. I got off of the SPWL. It's my first T14 acceptance, which is a huge relief.

User avatar
lt0826
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby lt0826 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

pearl_earrings wrote:Scholarship offer today! Hugely honored... and now it's going to be a tough decision.
It's a little less than the two schools I was choosing between before today's news, but... it's Georgetown. Hmm...


Congrats - that's awesome!!

Were you recently admitted or were you an alternate from an earlier interview?

justbluemyself
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby justbluemyself » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am

.
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby lawschoollll » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:28 am

So I haven't been following the four thousand pages of this thread, but would someone mind sharing how likely it is to get dinged/wl'ed after an intereview request?

Also, is GULC the cheapest of the T14? I'd love to go but I'm broke as a joke.

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby >insert witty name< » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:01 pm

just went DR and got the email at the same time..... preferred waiting list. BLAH!!!!!!!

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:03 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:just went DR and got the email at the same time..... preferred waiting list. BLAH!!!!!!!


and I'm still under my 4th review... 3/16. will check again later, though. keeping me around for so long just to ding...

djgoldbe
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby djgoldbe » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:06 pm

WL'ed by e-mail just now. Oh well.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:07 pm

djgoldbe wrote:WL'ed by e-mail just now. Oh well.


when was you all's last UR?

njk237
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby njk237 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Went under review in early March, got an email requesting an interview today. That's positive yeah?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 pm

I went from complete 3/12 to DR 3/19 to complete 3/19 as well. Special group within the preferred waitlist. Update by mid April.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:15 pm

r6_philly wrote:I went from complete 3/12 to DR 3/19 to complete 3/19 as well. Special group within the preferred waitlist. Update by mid April.


you never noticed it being under review?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Sorry I don't remember what day it was under review, it was tues or weds this week (so 16/17). I haven't paid much attention because I didn't think I would hear anything from any other school until April.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:Sorry I don't remember what day it was under review, it was tues or weds this week (so 16/17). I haven't paid much attention because I didn't think I would hear anything from any other school until April.


eeep! that's when mine was. wtf. can you guys do some theorizing for me? I should really be a reject. I mean, for this school. not for life in general. why am I still under review?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm

sibley wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Sorry I don't remember what day it was under review, it was tues or weds this week (so 16/17). I haven't paid much attention because I didn't think I would hear anything from any other school until April.


eeep! that's when mine was. wtf. can you guys do some theorizing for me? I should really be a reject. I mean, for this school. not for life in general. why am I still under review?


There is one other decision to the SPWL today. I think our numbers are admit numbers but they just admitted a group of SPWL people who have priority because they have been waiting. They may not have gone through your file yet if your numbers are not strong. My index is above median, maybe they sort the files by index every time they bring a new batch under review.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sibley wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Sorry I don't remember what day it was under review, it was tues or weds this week (so 16/17). I haven't paid much attention because I didn't think I would hear anything from any other school until April.


eeep! that's when mine was. wtf. can you guys do some theorizing for me? I should really be a reject. I mean, for this school. not for life in general. why am I still under review?


There is one other decision to the SPWL today. I think our numbers are admit numbers but they just admitted a group of SPWL people who have priority because they have been waiting. They may not have gone through your file yet if your numbers are not strong. My index is above median, maybe they sort the files by index every time they bring a new batch under review.


so they just do one time of decision at a time? I just don't know why they've put me under review so many times if they're just going to reject me...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:31 pm

sibley wrote:
so they just do one time of decision at a time? I just don't know why they've put me under review so many times if they're just going to reject me...


I don't think it looks so bad for you. If they wanted to reject you I think they would have. Maybe you are borderline but they don't want to necessarily reject you. If they put you on the WL you may withdraw, maybe it is better to keep you UR. I don't really know what goes on, but it appears that this cycle has been really tough for schools because so many more applications came and they don't want to over admit. But they also don't know if all these extra admits will attend, if they go ahead and reject/WL all the borderline candidates then they end up losing all the high numbers they are screwed, especially for the low end of T14. The borderlines may well get money at T30. I feel that you should hear back at the very latest after the seat deposits are due so they know what the class actually looks like. It may look great now for them but it may very well clear out really quick.

User avatar
bryntax
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby bryntax » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 pm

after getting a scholarship offer frome W&L, i started freaking out about getting admitted to GULC PT (no scholarship, of course) and how i could afford it... i was Binding Decision, so i called yesterday and they said i could change it to non-binding since no decision had been made.

checked today: Decision Rendered.

no email yet, but i'm expecting one. they do emails for WL AND rejects, yes?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sibley wrote:
so they just do one time of decision at a time? I just don't know why they've put me under review so many times if they're just going to reject me...


I don't think it looks so bad for you. If they wanted to reject you I think they would have. Maybe you are borderline but they don't want to necessarily reject you. If they put you on the WL you may withdraw, maybe it is better to keep you UR. I don't really know what goes on, but it appears that this cycle has been really tough for schools because so many more applications came and they don't want to over admit. But they also don't know if all these extra admits will attend, if they go ahead and reject/WL all the borderline candidates then they end up losing all the high numbers they are screwed, especially for the low end of T14. The borderlines may well get money at T30. I feel that you should hear back at the very latest after the seat deposits are due so they know what the class actually looks like. It may look great now for them but it may very well clear out really quick.


I think it's gonna be disappointing news... people with better numbers than me have been getting =( news. But... now that you've gotten my hopes up nicely, I will check my status obsessively.

User avatar
cyh
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby cyh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:just went DR and got the email at the same time..... preferred waiting list. BLAH!!!!!!!



when did you go under review?

User avatar
pearl_earrings
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

starrydecisus wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Scholarship offer today! Hugely honored... and now it's going to be a tough decision.
It's a little less than the two schools I was choosing between before today's news, but... it's Georgetown. Hmm...


Congrats!!! but I am so freakin jealous of you!
Were you a scholarship alternate? I saw on LSN that someone with scholarship withdrew so maybe that freed up some funds!

I was in the second round of scholarship interviews. After receiving the "you'll have to wait a while" e-mail a few days ago, I was expecting to wait until April to hear any more news.
7k more per year from Vandy though. Tough decision ahead.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm

sibley wrote:I think it's gonna be disappointing news... people with better numbers than me have been getting =( news. But... now that you've gotten my hopes up nicely, I will check my status obsessively.


Be positive, they may need that 170 of yours to keep up the median. Maybe that's why you are getting held in UR. There is no risk for them to WL me because I will not likely to go to anything non-T14, and my chances of getting in right now above gtown isn't good for being so late. T30 would throw money at you for your 170 and I am sure you are tempted. You can always send in an email confessing your love for gtown and that you have scholarship deadlines coming, but you will turn down the scholarships and attend if admitted.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sibley wrote:I think it's gonna be disappointing news... people with better numbers than me have been getting =( news. But... now that you've gotten my hopes up nicely, I will check my status obsessively.


Be positive, they may need that 170 of yours to keep up the median. Maybe that's why you are getting held in UR. There is no risk for them to WL me because I will not likely to go to anything non-T14, and my chances of getting in right now above gtown isn't good for being so late. T30 would throw money at you for your 170 and I am sure you are tempted. You can always send in an email confessing your love for gtown and that you have scholarship deadlines coming, but you will turn down the scholarships and attend if admitted.


I wonder if I would... I'm actually considering a school ranked 49th, mainly because of the 30k scholarship and the location. a school ranked 30th gave me nearly as much is no where I want to live... DC would be nice, though =) But I'm poor.

User avatar
sundevil77
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sundevil77 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Scholarship offer today! Hugely honored... and now it's going to be a tough decision.
It's a little less than the two schools I was choosing between before today's news, but... it's Georgetown. Hmm...


Congrats!!! but I am so freakin jealous of you!
Were you a scholarship alternate? I saw on LSN that someone with scholarship withdrew so maybe that freed up some funds!

I was in the second round of scholarship interviews. After receiving the "you'll have to wait a while" e-mail a few days ago, I was expecting to wait until April to hear any more news.
7k more per year from Vandy though. Tough decision ahead.


Congrats on the scholly! I had the same timeline of emails with the $10k/year offer! It's definitely exciting as G'town would be an awesome place to study, but the offer is lower than most other schools.

The email mentioned the possiblity of receiving need based grants as well. Do you have any idea when they will make those decisions? I'm hoping it's before the 12th! Also, would the grant offer be added to the scholarship, or would it be in lieu of the scholarship?

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby smartblonde87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:11 pm

pertristis wrote:I guess I neglected to post this in this forum, alongside the GULC waitlist forum. I got off of the SPWL. It's my first T14 acceptance, which is a huge relief.



CONGRATS!

User avatar
>insert witty name<
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby >insert witty name< » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

cyh wrote:
>insert witty name< wrote:just went DR and got the email at the same time..... preferred waiting list. BLAH!!!!!!!



when did you go under review?


committee requested interview 2/3, interviewed 2/24, went back UR 3/16, UR 3/17 DR 3/19, got the news via email 3/19




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”