Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
democrattotheend

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 pm

chutzpah wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
roxj wrote:I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?'

I just got the e-mail too, and I feel the same way. I am afraid that if I ask for too much they may not give me anything, but obviously I don't want to ask for too little. I am not really comfortable naming a dollar amount at all.

I am considering saying something like "I am hoping that between my savings and any scholarship assistance offered, I can graduate with less than $75,000 worth of debt" or "I am hoping to receive enough aid that, when combined with my savings, will enable me to limit my borrowing to the federal Stafford loans", but I don't know if it's a good idea to mention that I have savings or how much I have. I don't want to make them think I don't really need help, because I definitely do.

The only leverage I have right now is a $105,000 scholarship from GW, which obviously is lower ranked, but might have some pull with Georgetown because they probably lose some students every year who get generous offers from GW and decide it's not worth taking on so much debt.

Thoughts?

Aim high!! They wouldn't contact you if they didn't want you. This is good practice for negotiating salaries and whatnot in the real world, which women especially have trouble with. If you overshoot with your request its more likely they'll counter with something lower and not just laugh at you.

Good point. You are probably right. What about mentioning my savings and then giving my goal for a maximum debt figure? I am thinking that is a good way to sound a little more tactful, but the danger is that mentioning my savings will make me seem less needy and make them less inclined to give me anything. What do you think?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 pm

I got the email also. I just wrote that financing is extremely important to me and listed my 75k at Chicago, 86 at UT-Austin, 68 at Duke, and that Cornell held me for the possibility of a full ride scholly. I wish now that I would have said they need to beat Chicago by at least 30k for me to go there, but I did not say that.. dang.

kxwv

Postby kxwv » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Does anyone know why some people get asked to interview for merit scholarships and others are asked to send an email? Is GULC more interested in one group?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:15 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I got the email also. I just wrote that financing is extremely important to me and listed my 75k at Chicago, 86 at UT-Austin, 68 at Duke, and that Cornell held me for the possibility of a full ride scholly. I wish now that I would have said they need to beat Chicago by at least 30k for me to go there, but I did not say that.. dang.

Damn, am I kicking myself for not applying to Chicago. You and another numbers twin got big offers from Chicago. If I had applied there I might have a lot more leverage to bargain with other schools right now. So far the only scholarship offer I have is from GW, and with the possible exception of Georgetown, most other schools would probably laugh in my face if I tried to use it for leverage.

I'm hoping UVA will offer me some scholarship money, but they said they don't usually make those decisions until late March/early April, at which point I am afraid it might be too late to bargain with other schools.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:15 pm

kxwv wrote:Does anyone know why some people get asked to interview for merit scholarships and others are asked to send an email? Is GULC more interested in one group?

In my case, I requested to be considered so they didnt need to interview me to see if I am interested. I think that might be the case for everyone who got the email today but not positive

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:17 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I got the email also. I just wrote that financing is extremely important to me and listed my 75k at Chicago, 86 at UT-Austin, 68 at Duke, and that Cornell held me for the possibility of a full ride scholly. I wish now that I would have said they need to beat Chicago by at least 30k for me to go there, but I did not say that.. dang.

Damn, am I kicking myself for not applying to Chicago. You and another numbers twin got big offers from Chicago. If I had applied there I might have a lot more leverage to bargain with other schools right now. So far the only scholarship offer I have is from GW, and with the possible exception of Georgetown, most other schools would probably laugh in my face if I tried to use it for leverage.

I'm hoping UVA will offer me some scholarship money, but they said they don't usually make those decisions until late March/early April, at which point I am afraid it might be too late to bargain with other schools.

I was hoping UVA would give me an amount early also. I am really happy with the amount from Chicago and, like I said, I wish I would have flat out said to Gtown it needs to be pretty much full tuition to take me from Chicago, but we will see what they come up with. GW's scholly will have some leverage at GTown I think. They wont match it but they will give you something

lz06

Postby lz06 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

rafikiwa wrote:The original e-mail did say that initial offers would be made March 2...

Today! I'm excited.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm

if I'm 168, 3.65 with americorps, on the regular WL, how likely do we think it is that I'll get off?

rafikiwa

Postby rafikiwa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

To those waiting for scholarship notifications, someone on LSN posted $20k a few minutes ago

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Proximity

Don't know if he was a part of that first round of e-mails though...

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:15 pm

I also got the email today, telling me to email them by Thursday. I'm going to request a full scholarship.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I also got the email today, telling me to email them by Thursday. I'm going to request a full scholarship.

+ a pony and/or a BMW of some sort.

Go big or go home.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:22 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I also got the email today, telling me to email them by Thursday. I'm going to request a full scholarship.

Go big or go home.

Actually I realized I might as well add "preferably with a cost of living stipend" in there.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:23 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Go big or go home.

Actually I realized I might as well add "preferably with a cost of living stipend" in there.

and first year textbooks, don't forget.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:25 pm

sibley wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:

Go big or go home.

and first year textbooks, don't forget.

Please, that's going too far. It's not like I got a 180 (yet).

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
kxwv wrote:Does anyone know why some people get asked to interview for merit scholarships and others are asked to send an email? Is GULC more interested in one group?

In my case, I requested to be considered so they didnt need to interview me to see if I am interested. I think that might be the case for everyone who got the email today but not positive

How did you request to be considered? I was hoping to hear SOMETHING about $$ from GULC but I haven't received an email.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Kim617 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

How did you request to be considered? I was hoping to hear SOMETHING about $$ from GULC but I haven't received an email.

I called them and told them that I wanted to be considered for scholarships. They were keeping a list of any student who called and asked to be considered

megster_29

Postby megster_29 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:33 pm

madforsadness wrote:
Bailarina08 wrote:Hey guys,
Is anyone still showing "Under Review" from 2/19? Mine hasn't been updated and I'm concerned since most people went under review again or heard. (Not that I'm not grateful that I haven't been rejected...yet.)

I'm still UR from 2/19. I figure it can't be a bad thing that other 2/19 people have been rejected and we haven't?

When did you apply and what are you numbers? I'm late-jan with a pretty much auto-reject 167/3.67.

I am in the same boat, application complete mid-January, under review since 2/12, pretty much auto reject numbers, wanting to take it as some sort of good sign. But I am not sure... part of me thinks we are just the most current wave of apps that they haven't decided on yet. Tons of people got WL emails on Feb 22nd, so maybe that was the end of the previous and now they're moving on to us? So not necessarily good news, just a matter of time. That said, good luck to all of you. GULC is my dream school.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I called them and told them that I wanted to be considered for scholarships. They were keeping a list of any student who called and asked to be considered

Sorry, I don't want to be annoying, but did you call the admissions office or financial aid office? thanks!

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Kim617 wrote:Sorry, I don't want to be annoying, but did you call the admissions office or financial aid office? thanks!

No problem, the board is for questions. I called the admissions office. But both were keeping a list.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 pm

So did anyone who interviewed hear back today? Nothing for me, I guess tomorrow hopefully.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:35 pm

I got the email today as well. I'm really excited, but trying not to get my hopes up since I requested to be considered previously. Did anyone receive the email today WITHOUT previously requesting to be considered?

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm

js87 wrote:I got the email today as well. I'm really excited, but trying not to get my hopes up since I requested to be considered previously. Did anyone receive the email today WITHOUT previously requesting to be considered?

Yes.

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
js87 wrote:I got the email today as well. I'm really excited, but trying not to get my hopes up since I requested to be considered previously. Did anyone receive the email today WITHOUT previously requesting to be considered?

Yes.

179... 3.8... :shock:

I'm sure you're going to be weighing some amazing options! Good luck with everything.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:17 pm

lz06 wrote:So did anyone who interviewed hear back today? Nothing for me, I guess tomorrow hopefully.

+1

opus127

Postby opus127 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

No e-mails/interviews for me. It never occurred to me to call to say I'm interested in a scholarship! I thought that was self evident, and I submitted the yellow sheet/needaccess/fafsa as early as I could. I wonder if it would still make sense to call and inquire. Any thoughts/advice?

(For what it's worth, I don't have auto-scholarship numbers for GULC, and my choice of school will depend heavily on scholarship offers.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”