Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kingsmill
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby kingsmill » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
kingsmill wrote:Just got waitlisted.

They said "The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class. "

Does this mean anything special or they just tell everybody the same thing?

First UCBerkeley rejection, then this... oh my god it's a sad day.

There's a regular WL, a preferred WL, then the select group within the PWL. What are your numbers? PM if you want.


I would be willing to bet thats just worded awkwardly and he's just on the PWL, as in the PWL is the small select group and he is now within it.


I think it's a PWL judging by their words. However this is the first 'WL' I ever received so I really don't know whether it's because I'm special or because they are nice in wording the WL letters.


As for numbers, I'm an international applicant with 179 LSAT and very low GPA. I consider myself a huge splitter. If this is YP, i'd say, i'm really shocked.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:36 pm

kingsmill wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:
kingsmill wrote:Just got waitlisted.

They said "The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class. "

Does this mean anything special or they just tell everybody the same thing?

First UCBerkeley rejection, then this... oh my god it's a sad day.

There's a regular WL, a preferred WL, then the select group within the PWL. What are your numbers? PM if you want.


I would be willing to bet thats just worded awkwardly and he's just on the PWL, as in the PWL is the small select group and he is now within it.


I think it's a PWL judging by their words. However this is the first 'WL' I ever received so I really don't know whether it's because I'm special or because they are nice in wording the WL letters.


As for numbers, I'm an international applicant with 179 LSAT and very low GPA. I consider myself a huge splitter. If this is YP, i'd say, i'm really shocked.

Again, there's an email for PWL people that doesn't mention the select group, and one that does. A lot of the people that got put in the select group yesterday did seem to be YP. But I'm in it and I'm not YP (171 3.2). So who knows.

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:39 pm

I have similar but slightly weaker numbers than you guys. I'm hoping my peace corps resume will get me in, basically. It's helped with other schools, but we'll see.

Don't know if I'd even bother with the WL.

kingsmill
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby kingsmill » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, my email mentioned select group. Weird though, I kinda gain some confidence from this select group within PWL thing... hmm...

User avatar
lolwut
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby lolwut » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Quick question for you all - and this isn't trolling of any sort. Why would you say Georgetown has (by far) the most LSN applicants? I know it's not a perfect representative sample but what gives? Legal market, school itself, class size, etc?

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby beef wellington » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:49 pm

lolwut wrote:Quick question for you all - and this isn't trolling of any sort. Why would you say Georgetown has (by far) the most LSN applicants? I know it's not a perfect representative sample but what gives? Legal market, school itself, class size, etc?

I'd say all those things, plus its position as T14 gatekeeper probably makes it a lot of people's safety and a lot of people's reach.

jbrowning82
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jbrowning82 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Well its the very bottom of what people consider to be the elite schools, the t14. Since they're at the bottom, more people are likely to choose them as an attainable reach school.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I disagree with the above logic.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Yea Gtown may be ranked 14, but it doesn't seem to be the easiest to get into. I am looking at you Cornell.

Edit: I think the real reason is that it is a large school, in one of the most desirable markets.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Yea Gtown may be ranked 14, but it doesn't seem to be the easiest to get into. I am looking at you Cornell.

Edit: I think the real reason is that it is a large school, in one of the most desirable markets.


You have to factor in PT as well. In years past, Georgetown PT was considerably easier to get into and thus gave hope to many people with non-T14 numbers.

welkyn
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby welkyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm

may I ask when you went UR? thanks!
kingsmill wrote:Just got waitlisted.


Again, there's an email for PWL people that doesn't mention the select group, and one that does. A lot of the people that got put in the select group yesterday did seem to be YP. But I'm in it and I'm not YP (171 3.2). So who knows.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby krispykitten » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:35 pm

.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Shlonster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 pm

kingsmill wrote:Just got waitlisted.

They said "The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class. "

Does this mean anything special or they just tell everybody the same thing?

First UCBerkeley rejection, then this... oh my god it's a sad day.



Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. I got those exact same emails. If you find anything out about this "preferred group within a select group of preferred select people" let me know. Also, PM me your numbers if ya don't mind.

P.S. got in at Utah today, doesn't really ease the pain.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Shlonster wrote:
kingsmill wrote:Just got waitlisted.

They said "The Committee has designated you as part of a small select group within the Preferred Waiting List that will be given priority as spaces open up in the entering class. "

Does this mean anything special or they just tell everybody the same thing?

First UCBerkeley rejection, then this... oh my god it's a sad day.



Just wanted to let you know, you're not alone. I got those exact same emails. If you find anything out about this "preferred group within a select group of preferred select people" let me know. Also, PM me your numbers if ya don't mind.

P.S. got in at Utah today, doesn't really ease the pain.


I also got the identical rejection from Berkeley and WL at G-town. Drowning my sorrows with beer and LOCI writing.

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby xcountryjunkie » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:40 pm

LvingLegend wrote:Should I email them since I have been waiting since 1/28 for an alumni interview?


Yes. Sometimes you'll get alumns that will never contact you because it's low on their priorities list. Mine did that, so I emailed them after two weeks. Heard from the alumn within hours (they had contacted that alumn in the interim).

amb123
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby amb123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 pm

UR: 2/4
DR: 2/18

With a 165/3.6 I fully expect a small letter saying, "We regret to inform you..."

rtw
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby rtw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 pm

can someone explain to me what YP means... I don't have all this lingo down yet and URM while you are at it thanks :)

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:27 pm

rtw wrote:can someone explain to me what YP means... I don't have all this lingo down yet and URM while you are at it thanks :)


yield protect... basically, they think you'll go somewhere else and they don't want to lower their "accepted/attended" stats.

rtw
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby rtw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 pm

thanks..... so I was kinda close thought it meant "yea please" for the same reasons.... haha mines funnier but thanks for the info

acdisagod
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby acdisagod » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 pm

I got the select group within the preferred waitlist email. Numbers are 3.6 171. Is this a good sign? I'm really hoping for a gtown acceptance.

law_lover
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby law_lover » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am

How long are applications usually under review? Should I expect to wait awhile?
Last edited by law_lover on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Kim617
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Kim617 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:04 am

law_lover wrote:How long are applications usually under review? Should I expect to wait awhile?

It different for everyone. Mine took less than a week, some took months.

tilghmab
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:25 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby tilghmab » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 am

law_lover wrote:How long are applications usually under review? Should I expect to wait awhile?


Complete 10/28, interviewed 11/30, application held 12/4 -- still waiting for a decision. Just submitted a LOCI; I'm hoping they hold true to their promise in my hold e-mail that "a final decision will be mailed no later than Friday, February 26, 2010." Maybe I'll get extra-super-secret level waitlisted. :roll:

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby xcountryjunkie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am

sibley wrote:
rtw wrote:can someone explain to me what YP means... I don't have all this lingo down yet and URM while you are at it thanks :)


yield protect... basically, they think you'll go somewhere else and they don't want to lower their "accepted/attended" stats.


To answer your second question, URM = Under Represented Minorities. This (generally) refers to African Americans, Native Americans, and (some) hispanics. These are the ethnic groups generally thought to be given a diversity bump in terms of admissions.

ellexlaw
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby ellexlaw » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:38 am

DR 2/18..worried. this was one of my reach schools, but i had gone UR so many times i thought i might have a shot. DR 2/18- what do you think?? :?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”