Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
xcountryjunkie

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby xcountryjunkie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:42 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Is it safe to assume if I haven't been asked to interview yet that I won't be?

Just so I'm clear, this interview chatter is for people who were admitted a long time ago, right? Man, this thread is confusing to follow, lol. So much going on.

No, the interview is for borderline applicants whose UR is still pending (I interviewed back in Dec and I'm still pending).

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Hm, what sort of borderline applicants are receiving interview requests? I thought my numbers were going to sail into GULC until I was put on hold. Should I be discouraged that my Hold hasn't been followed by an interview request? Is 172/3.62 borderline?

I've seen plenty of splitters get interview requested. Also, mine: 169/3.69. I wouldn't be discouraged, you probably still have a great short.

softey

Postby softey » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:44 pm

What are we thinking about borderlines with no interview request?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:47 pm

softey wrote:What are we thinking about borderlines with no interview request?

That's kind of what I'm getting at.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:51 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Wow I just looked at LSN and indeed everyone with 172 is sailing into Georgetown. I'm still not sure why my decision was postponed. Then again, this wouldn't be my first time hearing something way worse than LSN predicts. Go to NYU's graph and see if you can guess which red dot is mine :( . I have to assume it's my retake that is causing my numbers to underperform. I'd hate to think it's my PS/LOR.

I feel your pain. Thus far, I've had a terrible cycle. People with my numbers are getting in w/ money at schools that I got WL'ed or rejected at. Not sure what it is, but oh well, too late to worry about it now.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Anyone else who had the 1/28 interview request go back under review?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:55 pm

dk8 wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:Wow I just looked at LSN and indeed everyone with 172 is sailing into Georgetown. I'm still not sure why my decision was postponed. Then again, this wouldn't be my first time hearing something way worse than LSN predicts. Go to NYU's graph and see if you can guess which red dot is mine :( . I have to assume it's my retake that is causing my numbers to underperform. I'd hate to think it's my PS/LOR.

I feel your pain. Thus far, I've had a terrible cycle. People with my numbers are getting in w/ money at schools that I got WL'ed or rejected at. Not sure what it is, but oh well, too late to worry about it now.

Are you on LSN? Solidarity, baby.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
dk8 wrote:

Are you on LSN? Solidarity, baby.

Nope.

With numbers as high as yours it seems pretty unlikely for you to get blanked out of the T14.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm

dk8 wrote:
Nope.

With numbers as high as yours it seems pretty unlikely for you to get blanked out of the T14.

That's what I figured going into all this. Then I got WL at Duke Priority and Held at Georgetown. When that starts happening at arguably the two easiest t14's, you have to change your expectations, especially when you get rejected outright at NYU and you thought ED would lock it up.

On the bright side, I got my first offer of admission today, from my 55th-ranked alma mater, lol. No shutout for me!

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:02 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Nope.

That's what I figured going into all this. Then I got WL at Duke Priority and Held at Georgetown. When that starts happening at arguably the two easiest t14's, you have to change your expectations, especially when you get rejected outright at NYU and you thought ED would lock it up.

On the bright side, I got my first offer of admission today, from my 55th-ranked alma mater, lol. No shutout for me!

Congrats -- that puts you one ahead of me! :wink:

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:04 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Nope.

Yeah but I think getting rejected at Harvard is more legit than getting a scholarship at Pepperdine. See, I didn't even have the stones to apply to Harvard.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:09 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Nope.

Yeah but I think getting rejected at Harvard is more legit than getting a scholarship at Pepperdine. See, I didn't even have the stones to apply to Harvard.

Ya...stones/penchant-for-wasting-my-money-on-something-with-about-the-same-likelihood-as-winning-the-lotto... basically the same thing.

Baloo

Postby Baloo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm still confused. For GULC, when it says "decision rendered" how long is it until you get notification and is that notification by email or regular mail?

shanejamin

Postby shanejamin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:34 pm

It seems like a week is about the average time until notification. Acceptances by mail, rejections by email. They delay email delivery until most of the letters have reached their destinations so that people won't know that no email = in.

Edit: I assume the last sentence is the reason. Everything else is fact.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Baloo wrote:I'm still confused. For GULC, when it says "decision rendered" how long is it until you get notification and is that notification by email or regular mail?

When did you go DR?

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi all,

Add me (171/3.7) as another datapoint for people who received merit scholarship interview request. Is there any good talk in here for what to expect, or is this the type of thing we're supposed to competetively refuse to talk about? :P

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

johndhi wrote:Hi all,

Add me (171/3.7) as another datapoint for people who received merit scholarship interview request. Is there any good talk in here for what to expect, or is this the type of thing we're supposed to competetively refuse to talk about? :P

Has anyone who replied with a preferred interview date heard back? I replied over the weekend but have not yet had a date or time confirmed.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 pm

frankjones wrote:

Has anyone who replied with a preferred interview date heard back? I replied over the weekend but have not yet had a date or time confirmed.

I haven't heard back either. I guess I'm another data point as well 3.86/175

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm

frankjones wrote:

Nope. Maybe they are trying to schedule them, then reply with when they can do it.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm your numbers twin and I didn't receive a request. :(

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Hello, all. I'm visiting Georgetown next week and taking a self-guided tour (aka wandering around with a pamphlet). Do you think it would be kosher if I slipped into a class that was about to start and just sat in the back to observe? Think anyone would notice/care?

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Hello, all. I'm visiting Georgetown next week and taking a self-guided tour (aka wandering around with a pamphlet). Do you think it would be kosher if I slipped into a class that was about to start and just sat in the back to observe? Think anyone would notice/care?

I'm with you - how do we get to sit in on classes???

gmichaelbluth

Postby gmichaelbluth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Has anyone who did not receive the scholarship email called about being considered for scholarship support since the email went out?

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm

MissLucky wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Hello, all. I'm visiting Georgetown next week and taking a self-guided tour (aka wandering around with a pamphlet). Do you think it would be kosher if I slipped into a class that was about to start and just sat in the back to observe? Think anyone would notice/care?

Just ask the professor before class starts. It'd be rude not to and I'm sure they'll have no problem with it.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Just ask the professor before class starts. It'd be rude not to and I'm sure they'll have no problem with it.

So go in early and explain? There is no way to formalize the process so that I am not making a trip/missing part of work for nothing? Should I e-mail? also, where can i get a list of current classes/times/locations/profs, etc.?

THANKS!

memaha

Postby memaha » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 pm

MissLucky wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

So go in early and explain? There is no way to formalize the process so that I am not making a trip/missing part of work for nothing? Should I e-mail? also, where can i get a list of current classes/times/locations/profs, etc.?

THANKS!

I called the admissions office early Jan about this. During the spring semester, they formally only allow already-admitted students to sit in on classes. Supposedly in the fall, you can sit in as a prospectus, but not during the spring. So if you are already in, I would just call the office and get a spot reserved.

If not and you really wanted to sit in, I would try what Jbrowning82 suggested and just skip going through the admissions office.

Also here is a link to the class schedules! Good luck! http://www.law.georgetown.edu/curriculu ... edules.cfm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”